The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 346 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by WellyBlues »

Possibly the best place to put this, Lloyd Spiegel is doing Cole Clark guitars workshops at MusicWorks stores (5) next week.

https://www.musicworks.co.nz/cole-clark ... d-spiegel/

I'm not connected with it, just a huge Lloyd Spiegel fan.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

I went to see him a few years ago when he did the same in Nelson. I took my boy and we enjoyed it, but was only about a dozen ppl there so doubt he will visit here again.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 346 times

Post by WellyBlues »

vinylguy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:41 am I went to see him a few years ago when he did the same in Nelson. I took my boy and we enjoyed it, but was only about a dozen ppl there so doubt he will visit here again.
Nelson is on Tuesday at the Sprig and Fern.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Delayman »

Played an interesting Yairi Rag guitar today. Really small body but very lively. Not what I was expecting to like the most. I’m looking for something that records well and sits in a mix without massive eq adjustments.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Delayman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:34 pm Played an interesting Yairi Rag guitar today. Really small body but very lively. Not what I was expecting to like the most. I’m looking for something that records well and sits in a mix without massive eq adjustments.
What kind of music?

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:04 pm
Delayman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:34 pm Played an interesting Yairi Rag guitar today. Really small body but very lively. Not what I was expecting to like the most. I’m looking for something that records well and sits in a mix without massive eq adjustments.
What kind of music?
I guess it’s rock/country/pop. I have dreadnoughts and found there is some boominess that needs to come off and then I’m left with not much in the mids and some fizzy highs. I was messing around with eq and then realised I probably don’t like the basic sound enough.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Delayman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:30 pm
What kind of music?
I guess it’s rock/country/pop. I have dreadnoughts and found there is some boominess that needs to come off and then I’m left with not much in the mids and some fizzy highs. I was messing around with eq and then realised I probably don’t like the basic sound enough.
In a modern band setting, I think it is hard to go past Taylor. The guitars seem to be built to just sit in the mix well. Not boomy at all, esp the smaller ones, and no holding mids to create feedback. Larrivee also. Taylor win because of their onboard pickup (expression).

OR

Maybe a small-bodied, mahogany guitar that will have a very characteristic sound, but in a fairly focused (mids) range. Again, easier to fit in to the mix.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

No Great love for Ovations these days is there ? Not a great Taylor fan myself but just about every solo performer and looper I see plays a Taylor....

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I find ovations are like three-year-olds: they won’t sit still on your lap. but yeah, they seem to be really out of vogue right now. I have a friend who has one of the very first ones made, with a huge body, and it sounds great.

There’s a reason all those acoustic performers use a Taylor. I do too, in a band situation.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:00 am I find ovations are like three-year-olds: they won’t sit still on your lap. but yeah, they seem to be really out of vogue right now. I have a friend who has one of the very first ones made, with a huge body, and it sounds great.

There’s a reason all those acoustic performers use a Taylor. I do too, in a band situation.
Interesting on the Taylor. I played quite a few yesterday and didn’t fall I love with any. Then I saw a Lowden on trademe….and realised I’m just catching acoustic GAS.

Started out looked for a small bodied, mid freq acoustic, and spent half the night looking at reviews of a huge bodied resonant guitar.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1413 times

Post by robthemac »

Delayman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:50 am
olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:00 am I find ovations are like three-year-olds: they won’t sit still on your lap. but yeah, they seem to be really out of vogue right now. I have a friend who has one of the very first ones made, with a huge body, and it sounds great.

Interesting on the Taylor. I played quite a few yesterday and didn’t fall I love with any. Then I saw a Lowden on trademe….and realised I’m just catching acoustic GAS.

Started out looked for a small bodied, mid freq acoustic, and spent half the night looking at reviews of a huge bodied resonant guitar.
I love the idea of tiny little Martin and Lowden acoustics. Then I pick up my Grand Auditorium and immediately forget about anything smaller.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

YESSS, buy that Lowden. Such an awesome guitar. It will be a very rewarding instrument to play. You could always put a feedback suppressor in the soundhole when you are playing with a band. Or buy a smaller Sheeran Lowden--also great but easier live.

Or if you want something cheaper, but still decent, and in a similar vein to taylor, there's this: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=c4X4gIzF

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3470 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:09 am
Delayman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:30 pm

What kind of music?
In a modern band setting, I think it is hard to go past Taylor. The guitars seem to be built to just sit in the mix well. Not boomy at all, esp the smaller ones, and no holding mids to create feedback. Larrivee also. Taylor win because of their onboard pickup (expression).

OR

Maybe a small-bodied, mahogany guitar that will have a very characteristic sound, but in a fairly focused (mids) range. Again, easier to fit in to the mix.
I have not tried Taylor's onboard system, but Cole Clark's one is bloody amazing.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:15 am
I love the idea of tiny little Martin and Lowden acoustics. Then I pick up my Grand Auditorium and immediately forget about anything smaller.
I love the idea of big bodied Martin and Lowden acoustics. Then I pick up my small Lowden and immediately forget about anything larger.

Probably says more about the individual instruments than anything else. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

My Taylor GS7 is steadily turning into a superb guitar. But as an amplified performance tool, it's as close to perfect and trouble free as you could wish.
I've never met a Taylor that stirred my passions. They seem to build respect over time with their willing, hassle free competence.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.