The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by Slowy »

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=Ynm0blir

I've been following this with my heart in my mouth. I have to concede it's beyond my skillset but what a beautiful thing!
It's a vintage authentic model copied directly from one in the Martin museum. So it's hide glue construction which is good, but it doesn't have a trussrod which could be a problem for a guitar that's been swimming.

Hopefully it goes to someone with the resources to do it justice.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 pm https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=Ynm0blir

I've been following this with my heart in my mouth. I have to concede it's beyond my skillset but what a beautiful thing!
It's a vintage authentic model copied directly from one in the Martin museum. So it's hide glue construction which is good, but it doesn't have a trussrod which could be a problem for a guitar that's been swimming.

I’ve been looking at that one also. I’d like to imagine it could be fixed. But I don’t know of a luthier in AKL who could tackle it now Daniel has closed shop.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 pm https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=Ynm0blir

Interesting. Had a good look at the photos and imo the water, sludge or sewage has affected the back of the guitar more than other parts. On the back it is not the binding that has come off, it is actually the back lifting out of the body so to speak. You would need to inspect the inside to see if the center strip has come loose and how badly the kerfing has been affected.

What is the going price for one of these in good condition?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Jay wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:16 pm

Interesting. Had a good look at the photos and imo the water, sludge or sewage has affected the back of the guitar more than other parts. On the back it is not the binding that has come off, it is actually the back lifting out of the body so to speak. You would need to inspect the inside to see if the center strip has come loose and how badly the kerfing has been affected.

Jay, that was my prognosis too. The back is warped. I'm no expert here, but I'd imagine a repair would involve taking the back off completely, then trying the flatten those two warped pieces, then refitting (or possibly replacing) them. I think it would be a nightmare.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

They listed at US$6000. There was only a few made. Can't find one currently for sale.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Love the Q&A on that one. That chinese clone guy seems to pop up on every Martin listing suggesting that the Martin you are selling is a fake. I get the impression that he is trying to drive the selling price down. Has anyone ever actually seen a fake Martin ?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:07 am Love the Q&A on that one. That chinese clone guy seems to pop up on every Martin listing suggesting that the Martin you are selling is a fake. I get the impression that he is trying to drive the selling price down. Has anyone ever actually seen a fake Martin ?
Many. They're called Sigmas.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:34 am
vinylguy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:07 am Love the Q&A on that one. That chinese clone guy seems to pop up on every Martin listing suggesting that the Martin you are selling is a fake. I get the impression that he is trying to drive the selling price down. Has anyone ever actually seen a fake Martin ?
Dare I ask if they are any good?
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

WellyBlues wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:21 pm
Dare I ask if they are any good?
Haven't played the current crop. The old ones were solid top, laminated back and sides Martins that were perfectly fine at their price. I was playing a 25 year old Brazilian Rosewood model at the time so unfortunately I looked down on them from a great height. :rofl:

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:06 am

They listed at US$6000. There was only a few made. Can't find one currently for sale.
That went for a decent price. Add about $1500 for some lluthier work and hopefully you end up with the guitar of your dreams

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:22 am

Jay, that was my prognosis too. The back is warped. I'm no expert here, but I'd imagine a repair would involve taking the back off completely, then trying the flatten those two warped pieces, then refitting (or possibly replacing) them. I think it would be a nightmare.
I see Studio 1 bought it. I suspected it might have been theirs to begin with. Insurance payout, buy it back, a couple of grand to repair in house and it might be a profitable exercise.

But this is pure speculation.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:43 pm

I see Studio 1 bought it. I suspected it might have been theirs to begin with. Insurance payout, buy it back, a couple of grand to repair in house and it might be a profitable exercise.

Vintage1 is Studio1?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:44 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:43 pm

Vintage1 is Studio1?
Yep.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

I am aware that many Sigma models are copies of Martin Models (similar to the old Shenandoah models), I dont see them trying to pass themselves off as genuine Martins though so not the Clones to which he refers.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:36 pm
I am aware that many Sigma models are copies of Martin Models (similar to the old Shenandoah models), I dont see them trying to pass themselves off as genuine Martins though so not the Clones to which he refers.
You are entirely correct. I stand guilty of flippancy.