The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by Jay »

codedog wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:36 pm
Jay wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:16 pm
Slowy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:53 pm https://reverb.com/item/53225669-lowden ... 45-60-neck

I hate exchange rates. My dream Lowden in my chosen wood combination has now become stratospherically unaffordable. :(
Beautiful, but I wonder about the longevity of that bridge design
What aspect of the design in particular made you wonder?
In that closeup bridge shot, once the string leaves the saddle towards the hole in the bridge, it appears that there is a break angle, ie resulting in string friction in the hole, ie wear.

The other thing that I wonder, is if a horizontal crack would develop between the 'end ball' holes, the string tension might just rip the top off that bridge section.

I am sure Mr Lowden's engineers have faith in it, but will it last 50 plus years?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Jay wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:28 pm

In that closeup bridge shot, once the string leaves the saddle towards the hole in the bridge, it appears that there is a break angle, ie resulting in string friction in the hole, ie wear.

The other thing that I wonder, is if a horizontal crack would develop between the 'end ball' holes, the string tension might just rip the top off that bridge section.

I am sure Mr Lowden's engineers have faith in it, but will it last 50 plus years?
That's pretty much how my Breedlove bridge was designed, albeit a fraction of the cost.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I think it will, the design dates to the early 80s, I've not heard of any complaints or concerns so far.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:44 pm

That's pretty much how my Breedlove bridge was designed, albeit a fraction of the cost.

That Breedlove is an excellent instrument, no corners were cut in its manufacture.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Most of the Breedloves I have had ,had a bridge doctor bracing system underneath the bridge fitted as standard, though that one doesnt seem to have one. Ovation have also used a pinless bridge forever on their guitars with no issues.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

vinylguy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:59 am Most of the Breedloves I have had ,had a bridge doctor bracing system underneath the bridge fitted as standard, though that one doesnt seem to have one. Ovation have also used a pinless bridge forever on their guitars with no issues.
That's interesting. Mine doesn't have it either.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

[/quote]

To fair my Lowden is 35 years old, original bridge and no issue. I think it will do 50 years no sweat. Lowdens have a low string tension compared to other guitars, mostly because of that bridge.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

:lol:

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I found my Martin's Japanese half sister yesterday.
20230402_110430.jpg
20230402_110430.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2477 times
20230402_110455.jpg
20230402_110455.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 2477 times
1970s G.J Gould TH-2500 D-35 copy. All solid wood, It's in better condition and made from nicer looking woods than my Martin, there's probably some analogy to be made there between American and Japanese women too.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Had a play on a Big Bay Taylor. Quite impressed with the neck feel, almost like an electric and despite it being a bold on. Smaller body still projects loud enough and very balanced. Looks budget but once you play it that is easily forgotten. Now why don't the Rockshop have these on special?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Jay wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:41 pm Had a play on a Big Bay Taylor. Quite impressed with the neck feel, almost like an electric and despite it being a bold on. Smaller body still projects loud enough and very balanced. Looks budget but once you play it that is easily forgotten. Now why don't the Rockshop have these on special?
Yes, they are fun guitars, and give a surprisingly good sound. I think the GS-Minis are better, in terms of fun and overall tonal balance.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:59 pm
Jay wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:41 pm Had a play on a Big Bay Taylor. Quite impressed with the neck feel, almost like an electric and despite it being a bold on. Smaller body still projects loud enough and very balanced. Looks budget but once you play it that is easily forgotten. Now why don't the Rockshop have these on special?
Yes, they are fun guitars, and give a surprisingly good sound. I think the GS-Minis are better, in terms of fun and overall tonal balance.
At twice the price though. There's one on TM right now but I just realised is has a 4 piece top. Unusual?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:34 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:59 pm
At twice the price though. There's one on TM right now but I just realised is has a 4 piece top. Unusual?
I thought so.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

I played a GS mini in Koa at the RS in dunners and thought they were a great little guitar. I think they are laminate not solid wood though ? Im watching that one on TM too just in case my Martin sells....