The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Some guitars really do get much better with age. Not all of them though. I wonder how one could tell in advance?

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

What I have generally found is that if the guitar is 3 of these things they are generally pretty good:
1; Old
2: Well played
3: Made is the US

Exceptions everywhere of course as I once had a Peavey (made by Landola) that was a great sounding guitar. Met the first 2 criteria though...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

vinylguy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:41 pm What I have generally found is that if the guitar is 3 of these things they are generally pretty good:
1; Old
3: Made is Japan

Exceptions everywhere of course as I once had a Peavey (made by Landola) that was a great sounding guitar. Met the first 2 criteria though...
Fixed :wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

Have yet to play a Japanese acoustic worth owning. Am open to the possibility though. I once had a Japanese Yamaha that was awful...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

vinylguy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:41 pm What I have generally found is that if the guitar is 3 of these things they are generally pretty good:
1; Old
3: Made is the US

This definitely works for some great guitars. But I’ve come across many bad guitars and a ton of average ones that also fit these criteria. And lately some newer guitars that are not US made, but still sound awesome.

For me I think a good indicator is the lightness of the build.

My original point was really this : If you have 3 decent-sounding new guitars, how do you choose the one that is going to be great in a few years? I agree that playing it a lot may well be the deciding factor. :-)

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I played one of those fancy Epiphone Hummingbirds in the weekend. Tight, quiet, no bass, heavy and no tonal character. The action however was fantastic.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

GrantB wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:10 am I played one of those fancy Epiphone Hummingbirds in the weekend. Tight, quiet, no bass, heavy and no tonal character. The action however was fantastic.
:-) saying something, given the immense humidity here atm. Those things are built rigidly so they won't break or warp. Good acoustic guitars are much more fragile, in my experience. They are fussy.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:21 am
GrantB wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:10 am I played one of those fancy Epiphone Hummingbirds in the weekend. Tight, quiet, no bass, heavy and no tonal character. The action however was fantastic.
:-) saying something, given the immense humidity here atm. Those things are built rigidly so they won't break or warp. Good acoustic guitars are much more fragile, in my experience. They are fussy.
I did not realise this until I bought a Larrivee and an ex-Oleg Breedlove. Both are very light and lively. So light, in fact, that I got paranoid and bought a hygrometer to keep an eye on humidity. I'm very glad to see my home has a nice level of humidity in general.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:19 am
olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:21 am
I did not realise this until I bought a Larrivee and an ex-Oleg Breedlove. Both are very light and lively. So light, in fact, that I got paranoid and bought a hygrometer to keep an eye on humidity. I'm very glad to see my home has a nice level of humidity in general.
That's so nice, I wish Auckland did :roll: I have a dehumidifier running for most of the year.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

There's been an awful lot of moisture in the air this so-called "Summer".
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Conway wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:32 am There's been an awful lot of moisture in the air this so-called "Summer".
My lawns are green as - usually at this time of the year they're totally dried out.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

AiRdAd wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:53 am
Conway wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:32 am There's been an awful lot of moisture in the air this so-called "Summer".
My lawns are green as - usually at this time of the year they're totally dried out.
Oh no, we are headed into Climate Change territory...

Here's a picture of an acoustic guitar 8)
IMG_5571.jpeg
IMG_5571.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 1393 times

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:49 pm

IMG_5571.jpeg
Pity their website is not optimized for mobile devices. Hate that. It is not that hard
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:49 pm

IMG_5571.jpeg
Care to entertain/inspire/tease us with details of this one?

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

Not sure that lightness of build is a factor with a strumming guitar as opposed to one used for fingerstyle. I dont play fingerstyle at all and am a reasonably heavy strummer ( not Richie Havens heavy but heavy in comparison to the guys I play with..) and the best guitars I have found for my style of playing are Guilds in general and my afore mentioned Martin. Also partial to Ovations, Breedloves and Larrivees. I once played a really beaten up 1973 Guild D35 that had been thrashed to within an inch of its life, but was still as heavy and as solid as anything and it sounded great.

My original point was really this : If you have 3 decent-sounding new guitars, how do you choose the one that is going to be great in a few years? I agree that playing it a lot may well be the deciding factor. :-)

I think the best you can do is to choose the one that feels best to you now. And thats difficult to do with a test play in a retail store where the choices are limited.