The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by Slowy »

KNNZ wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:59 am oh my world!! did I see the price correctly?!?!?! this makes Gibson Murphy Labs historic reissues seem affordable
Slowy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:35 pm I'm Gassing for a Nylon crossover acoustic electric; pretty limited field, especially in NZ.

Obviously there's the Lowden Jazz but thought I'd check out Goodall. I've only met a couple of Goodalls but one of them is in my thoughts almost every day.
And yes, they do one!
https://reverb.com/item/66966315-goodal ... r-cocobolo

Sigh. :(
Welcome to the world of acoustic guitar anguish :crazy:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Yep that is so far out of financial reach for me as to be undesirable....

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:33 pm Yep that is so far out of financial reach for me as to be undesirable....
My sister found a second hand one for $19,000. Doesn't really help much.

Much more so than with electrics, in the acoustic world there's a demonstrable correlation between performance and price. I've never gone quite that far up the food chain though.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:37 pm
vinylguy wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:33 pm Yep that is so far out of financial reach for me as to be undesirable....

Much more so than with electrics, in the acoustic world there's a demonstrable correlation between performance and price. I've never gone quite that far up the food chain though.

Most of us would consider a 25 year old Brasilian model Martin to be fairly high up the food chain ?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

A 25 year old Brazilian model would probably be high maintenance too!

Oh wait... we're talking about guitars...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:09 pm

Most of us would consider a 25 year old Brasilian model Martin to be fairly high up the food chain ?
Yeah, but I was 18 and paid (I think) $850 for it.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

you still have it ?

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Slowy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:32 pm
vinylguy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:09 pm

Yeah, but I was 18 and paid (I think) $850 for it.
Yes but in those days that much money would have bought you the Coromandel, with money left over for half a dozen muskets.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Studio1
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Studio1 »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:43 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:22 am
Jay wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:16 pm

Interesting. Had a good look at the photos and imo the water, sludge or sewage has affected the back of the guitar more than other parts. On the back it is not the binding that has come off, it is actually the back lifting out of the body so to speak. You would need to inspect the inside to see if the center strip has come loose and how badly the kerfing has been affected.

What is the going price for one of these in good condition?
Jay, that was my prognosis too. The back is warped. I'm no expert here, but I'd imagine a repair would involve taking the back off completely, then trying the flatten those two warped pieces, then refitting (or possibly replacing) them. I think it would be a nightmare.
I see Studio 1 bought it. I suspected it might have been theirs to begin with. Insurance payout, buy it back, a couple of grand to repair in house and it might be a profitable exercise.

But this is pure speculation.
Yup we bought it (was never ours though). There was no water damage to the guitar - ie it must have been in a room with very high humidity but not touching water. the binding had come off and needed regluing. Very simple fix. Amazing guitar, very cool tone. One of the staff loved it so took it home. Repairs ran only a few hundred dollars.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Studio1 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:44 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:43 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:22 am

Jay, that was my prognosis too. The back is warped. I'm no expert here, but I'd imagine a repair would involve taking the back off completely, then trying the flatten those two warped pieces, then refitting (or possibly replacing) them. I think it would be a nightmare.
I see Studio 1 bought it. I suspected it might have been theirs to begin with. Insurance payout, buy it back, a couple of grand to repair in house and it might be a profitable exercise.

But this is pure speculation.
Yup we bought it (was never ours though). There was no water damage to the guitar - ie it must have been in a room with very high humidity but not touching water. the binding had come off and needed regluing. Very simple fix. Amazing guitar, very cool tone. One of the staff loved it so took it home. Repairs ran only a few hundred dollars.
Well thank you for the clarification. It was difficult to tell from the TM photos but I'm glad it was a straightforward fix. Beautiful guitar and horrible to see it like that!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Thanks for the reminder! I meant to hunt down the video about that guitar

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Evidently laminate back and sides != lower quality!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

That is right, yes. There is a trend amongst some builders to make guitars where the back & sides take as much of the structural load as possible, leaving the top to be free to just vibrate. So the top needs very little bracing, it is basically a speaker cone. Laminates are much stronger, so they get used for the back & sides.

I've played one of these guitars...it is a weird experience because you hear a massive sound in the room, but very little coming directly back at you through the back & sides of the guitar.

The other thing about laminates being stronger (if they are really carefully made) is that they can be thinner. This is also a good thing, tonewise.

Neither approach leads to cheaper guitars, unfortunately :-)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:05 am That is right, yes. There is a trend amongst some builders to make guitars where the back & sides take as much of the structural load as possible, leaving the top to be free to just vibrate. So the top needs very little bracing, it is basically a speaker cone. Laminates are much stronger, so they get used for the back & sides.

I've played one of these guitars...it is a weird experience because you hear a massive sound in the room, but very little coming directly back at you through the back & sides of the guitar.

The other thing about laminates being stronger (if they are really carefully made) is that they can be thinner. This is also a good thing, tonewise.

Neither approach leads to cheaper guitars, unfortunately :-)
The laminate b&s one in this vide is the second guitar... around 12:30 mark https://youtu.be/APXaueHjy3M?si=gHFK-h5Y8sC0zpo2&t=757

It's a Kevin Muiderman custom build. Sounds like he's a reconstructive plastic surgeon by day, and luthier by night! :crazy: