The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by jeremyb »

Interestingly the 1&3/4 thing seems to be for fingerstyle but John Mayer's OM has 1&11/16 as he wants it to be more like a strat neck... I definitely want to learn fingerstyle tho' so the wider seems better.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:33 pm Interestingly the 1&3/4 thing seems to be for fingerstyle but John Mayer's OM has 1&11/16 as he wants it to be more like a strat neck... I definitely want to learn fingerstyle tho' so the wider seems better.
It really is ain't much more... I barely notice the difference anymore.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:24 am
Molly wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:57 am
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:26 pm

The Walden is spruce & rosewood :wave:
Actually, I was going to ask you for a bit of info so I could list it and seem like I know what I'm talking about...?

:-)
All solid wood construction. Indian Rosewood B&S, spruce top. Grand Auditorium shape & size. 1&3/4 string spacing at the nut, 25&1/2" scale. Rosewood fretboard. Gloss finish (but its is water-based I think). Walden use good quality woods for their top models (such as this) and their construction is usually excellent too.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Coincidentally, a colleague asked today if I was selling an acoustic. Taking it in for her to try tomorrow. :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:01 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:33 pm Interestingly the 1&3/4 thing seems to be for fingerstyle but John Mayer's OM has 1&11/16 as he wants it to be more like a strat neck... I definitely want to learn fingerstyle tho' so the wider seems better.
It really is ain't much more... I barely notice the difference anymore.
Thats what she said!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

From what I remember from my last research into it the OMJM is the only one of that size or similar in spruce/rosewood that they make with a 1 and 9/16 nut width now, all the others being 1 and 3/4. Not a fan of 1 and 3/4 at all.1 and 9/16 is OK as in my Ovation and PRS acoustics but my preference id for the old 1 and 5/8 nut width.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

I feel like the whole 1.75 is for fingerstyle thing is the acoustic guitar equivalent of 7.25 radius is for 'chord work'. :sick:

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

To be fair the whole 1 and 3/4 thing has saved me a fortune in guitars.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Went to music works and the rock shop and nothing I was interested was there :-(

This is currently top of my shopping list though so will get Dave to get me one in!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Took my Walden in for a colleague to try. Then she lowballed me.... FFS. This is someone that wouldn't know a guitar from a shoe. People just offer less than is being asked out of habit I swear. Fuck it. I'll put it on TradeMe.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Molly wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:29 pm Took my Walden in for a colleague to try. Then she lowballed me.... FFS. This is someone that wouldn't know a guitar from a shoe. People just offer less than is being asked out of habit I swear. Fuck it. I'll put it on TradeMe.
I think the lesson is to never sell any gear
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:29 pm Took my Walden in for a colleague to try. Then she lowballed me.... FFS. This is someone that wouldn't know a guitar from a shoe. People just offer less than is being asked out of habit I swear. Fuck it. I'll put it on TradeMe.
Should have asked for double, after she'd made the offer....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Good idea, nobody will try to lowball you on there.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Nice tour of the Taylor factories:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

I put my Walden on TM.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=bqXFOSlr

If it doesn't go that's fine. Just a bit more shipping to pay. I would like a Martin at some point though. I was pretty disappointed with my Taylor (was surprisingly difficult to play - really stiff) so not in a rush to go there again, but I've never owned a Martin.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Molly wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:05 pm I put my Walden on TM.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=bqXFOSlr

If it doesn't go that's fine. Just a bit more shipping to pay. I would like a Martin at some point though. I was pretty disappointed with my Taylor (was surprisingly difficult to play - really stiff) so not in a rush to go there again, but I've never owned a Martin.
If you think a Taylor was stiff, you're gonna hate a Martin that's less than a decade old.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.