The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:09 pm
Jeremy, please stop posting these. I'm really enjoying my Lowden at the moment and Mike Dawes does nothing for my self esteem. :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:30 am
jeremyb wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:09 pm
Jeremy, please stop posting these. I'm really enjoying my Lowden at the moment and Mike Dawes does nothing for my self esteem. :rofl:
Maybe have a crack at the original then?

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Mike Dawes's fingers aren't human. Seriously, look at them; they're tentacles!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I only just discovered the Cole Clark True Hybrid series. My immediate thought was "WTF?!" https://coleclarkguitars.com/products/true-hybrid/

Here's one example. Has anyone encountered any of these in person?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:23 pm I only just discovered the Cole Clark True Hybrid series. My immediate thought was "WTF?!" https://coleclarkguitars.com/products/true-hybrid/

Argh, my eyes.

I'd imagine this would be the worst of all worlds...a super-strat that is very uncomfortable to play & with a feedback problem coupled with a nice acoustic with the soundboard full of routing.

But I'm probably wrong...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:43 pm
codedog wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:23 pm I only just discovered the Cole Clark True Hybrid series. My immediate thought was "WTF?!" https://coleclarkguitars.com/products/true-hybrid/

Argh, my eyes.

I'd imagine this would be the worst of all worlds...a super-strat that is very uncomfortable to play & with a feedback problem coupled with a nice acoustic with the soundboard full of routing.

But I'm probably wrong...
Martin tried that, putting humbuckers in dreadnoughts. Didn't work then either......

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Looking at them made me feel quite ill. Hearing them... I didn't get violently ill... but didn't induce any turgidity either...

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

sounds horrible. In both acoustic and electric modes. No thank you.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:12 pm sounds horrible. In both acoustic and electric modes. No thank you.
I think a blues player was a great choice. I can hear it working in Delta Blues, even Chicago style. And a Blues singer songwriter? Perfect.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Slowy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:48 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:12 pm sounds horrible. In both acoustic and electric modes. No thank you.
I think a blues player was a great choice. I can hear it working in Delta Blues, even Chicago style. And a Blues singer songwriter? Perfect.
Lloyd Spiegel is a fabulous player and songwriter, love his stuff. He has a signature Cole Clark acoustic guitar. But I'm not taken with the the sound of this hybrid. Others will like it, that's what makes music and guitars interesting.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Let's see how polarising this one can be. Has anyone played an all rosewood acoustic? My D-03 is extremely delicately constructed, an incredibly light guitar. I can't imagine this one would be light! I guess it depends if "All Rosewood" includes the neck too.

The tone is definitely not my thing. It's possibly the darkest sounding acoustic I have heard on a recording.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Saw a documentary on John Martyn (2003?).

Reminded me of the character Emmet in the movie Sweet and Lowdown.

Quoting Roger Ebert: Here is a man, who, when we first meet him, is already considered peerless among American jazz guitarists, yet is running a string of hookers as a sideline. Who drinks so much that only sheer good luck spares him, night after night, from getting himself killed. Who is forgiven by his colleagues, most of the time, because when he plays, there is magic happening right there on the stage. Here is a man so lonely that he doesn't even know the concept. "Your feelings are locked away so deeply, you don't even know where to find them,'' he's told. He's wounded: "You say that like it's a bad thing.''
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:40 am Let's see how polarising this one can be. Has anyone played an all rosewood acoustic? My D-03 is extremely delicately constructed, an incredibly light guitar. I can't imagine this one would be light! I guess it depends if "All Rosewood" includes the neck too.

The tone is definitely not my thing. It's possibly the darkest sounding acoustic I have heard on a recording.

Wow, it is really dark & bassy...as you would expect.

I really like all mahogany guitars, which have a ton of honky mids, but I don't like the sound of that Larrivee. Looks awesome though :-)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:51 pm
codedog wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:40 am Let's see how polarising this one can be. Has anyone played an all rosewood acoustic? My D-03 is extremely delicately constructed, an incredibly light guitar. I can't imagine this one would be light! I guess it depends if "All Rosewood" includes the neck too.

Wow, it is really dark & bassy...as you would expect.

I really like all mahogany guitars, which have a ton of honky mids, but I don't like the sound of that Larrivee. Looks awesome though :-)
I like all mahogany too, it's on my acquisition list. If I didn't know what that video was about, and heard it blindfolded, I would've thought I was listening to someone playing quietly in a padded closet!