The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 854 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by robthemac »

Delayman wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:00 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:55 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:53 pm

But Jack Johnson uses them so they must be good :rofl:
I have some quiet love for JJ, and if I were a singer-songwriter on $2000 budget they'd be hard to look past. Just don't try playing fingerstyle...
Why do you say that about Fingerstyle?
The ones I played back in my salesman days were in general pretty mid-scooped, especially low-mids. They were mostly Tasmanian blackwood back and sides, can't remember what they used for the tops. Really uneven frequency balance. Great for a vocalist to sit in the mix. Not great for trying to emphasize a melody on the D and G strings (which is most of what I was doing back then).

jhyang549
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by jhyang549 »

robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:17 pm

I have some quiet love for JJ, and if I were a singer-songwriter on $2000 budget they'd be hard to look past. Just don't try playing fingerstyle...
The ones I played back in my salesman days were in general pretty mid-scooped, especially low-mids. They were mostly Tasmanian blackwood back and sides, can't remember what they used for the tops. Really uneven frequency balance. Great for a vocalist to sit in the mix. Not great for trying to emphasize a melody on the D and G strings (which is most of what I was doing back then).
Damn, I was gonna buy that heavily discounted Cole Clark guitar but that's my current phase as a fingerstyle guitarist.
2015 Ashton AG232 Electric Guitar
2019 Thomann Europe Soprano Psaltery D1004
2016 Stagg SBP-30 SNB Bass Guitar
1995 Park Amplifier G10R by Marshall Amplifications
2000 Korg AX100G Multi Effects Guitar Processer

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 289 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Listen to Lloyd Spiegel, he has a Cole Clark signature model, and he is a stunning player. The Double Live album is great but it's mainly electric. Tangled Brew, This Time Tomorrow, Timber and Steel albums are all on Spotify and will give you a taste.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:55 pm

Damn, I was gonna buy that heavily discounted Cole Clark guitar but that's my current phase as a fingerstyle guitarist.
I wouldn't want to over-generalise. Different woods, different body shapes, natural variability etc. Lots of people love that sound. But make sure you play one first.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 651 times
Been liked: 576 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:26 pm

I wouldn't want to over-generalise. Different woods, different body shapes, natural variability etc. Lots of people love that sound. But make sure you play one first.
Agree with this, though I think smaller one (forgot the name) is a really cool band guitar and the Fat Lady does have plenty of bass. Still, the sound from all of them is way too 'dry' for my taste.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:49 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:26 pm

Agree with this, though I think smaller one (forgot the name) is a really cool band guitar and the Fat Lady does have plenty of bass. Still, the sound from all of them is way too 'dry' for my taste.

I wonder if what I'm describing as a scoop in the low-mids region is what you're calling dryness.

Yep, heaps of variability between the different shapes and woods. Likely to find something for most tastes.

Set-ups from the factory were generally spot on. Never had reliability issues, and if they're built to survive in Australia I'd expect them to survive just fine over here. Taylors less so.

I think they're lovely guitars. But if you buy one with the sound of a D-18 in your head, you're gonna be disappointed.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Delayman »

Played a couple of cole Clark guitars for a decent amount of time today. The smaller body one had the balance issue you’re talking about. The d and g strings disappear in open
chords up the neck.

But the fat lady dreadnaught was great. Musicworks ran a sale from Monday to Friday and wouldn’t entertain applying any discount today. That’s pretty annoying to me as it was a $500 saving.

The search continues
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 5436 times
Been liked: 2968 times

Post by jeremyb »

Polar Bear wrote: It will continue to be a mystery as to why this is such a sausage fest.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Delayman »

I was listening to a podcast where Jim Kimball who plays electric and acoustic for Reba McEntire said he used a Kemper to profile his whole acoustic chain. Never thought of that as a use for a Kemper. Interesting.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jhyang549
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Delayman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:07 pm I was listening to a podcast where Jim Kimball who plays electric and acoustic for Reba McEntire said he used a Kemper to profile his whole acoustic chain. Never thought of that as a use for a Kemper. Interesting.
Here's an example of using IRs (via DI) to mimic an acoustic guitar being mic'd with a small diaphragm condensor. Pretty close.

For studio recording, I would prefer using a mic. It sounds pretty close but using a mic sounds better, hands down. But it's useful in reducing possible feedback sources in a live performance whilst preserving the tonal quality of a mic'd up acoustic guitar.

2015 Ashton AG232 Electric Guitar
2019 Thomann Europe Soprano Psaltery D1004
2016 Stagg SBP-30 SNB Bass Guitar
1995 Park Amplifier G10R by Marshall Amplifications
2000 Korg AX100G Multi Effects Guitar Processer