The Acoustic Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 668 times

Re: The Acoustic Thread

Post by rickenbackerkid »

quyet wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:34 pm Anyone have any Fred Kelly thumb picks? Seems all the Travis pickers swear by the speed ones. I'd like to try some out, but they can only be ordered in 24 packs and I don't want to spend over $60 just to try one.
I tried these and much preferred the dunlop tortoiseshell ones. The only issue with those is I was shredding them in no time. Eventually changed back to flat picks but can still use a thumbpick on acoustic just fine.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 8085 times
Been liked: 4309 times

Post by jeremyb »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3565 times
Been liked: 1100 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:16 pm Anyone a fan of Cuntz?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cuntz_guitars.html
Blimey... I thought that was an April Fool's joke...

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

Sounds like an apt brand for John Mayer.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1047 times
Been liked: 2541 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:16 pm Anyone a fan of Cuntz?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cuntz_guitars.html
Mike Dawes is. Makes them sound incredible.

And here's one just for you, Jeremy.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Starfire wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:25 pm Sounds like an apt brand for John Mayer.
:rofl:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:51 pm
I don't relate to this music at all but I love that these kids exist. It's crazy to think what they might produce over their lifetimes. Awesome stuff!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:46 am
jeremyb wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:51 pm
I don't relate to this music at all but I love that these kids exist. It's crazy to think what they might produce over their lifetimes. Awesome stuff!
Yeah its impressive technically but I'm finding less notes with more feeling gives me more of an emotional response!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

I've been bottom feeding on Trademe..

Paris Banchetti was an Italian born luthier who settled in Miami. He built a reputation for his Brazilian Rosewood classical guitars. (Muriel Anderson plays a Banchetti). He also made a few steel strings modeled on pre war Martins.

This is one of them.
Banchetti1.jpg
Banchetti1.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 82 times
Banchetti5.jpg
Banchetti5.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 82 times
Banchetti6.jpg
Banchetti6.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 82 times
This one was made in 1980 and brought to NZ by an American who lived and ultimately died, in Whitianga. It was acquired from his estate by Paul Trenwith of the Hamilton County Bluegrass Band who set it to working for its living. It then passed to Keith McMillan and on to the guy I bought it from.

Is it the best dreadnought I've ever played? No. That accolade goes to a brand new Martin D18. This one has the same character as my old D28; the harder you hit it, the louder it gets and always it's saying, "That all you got?" Based on that, I have named it 'Thumper'.

Plan is to clean it up and restring it this weekend. It's definitely player grade but it cost me the same as a student level Cort and if you can find reason that's not the wood that must not be named, I'm all ears.

Imagine what this would have cost with a different name on the headstock!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 883 times
Been liked: 756 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:50 am I've been bottom feeding on Trademe..

Paris Banchetti was an Italian born luthier who settled in Miami. He built a reputation for his Brazilian Rosewood classical guitars. (Muriel Anderson plays a Banchetti). He also made a few steel strings modeled on pre war Martins.

This is one of them.

Banchetti1.jpgBanchetti5.jpgBanchetti6.jpg

This one was made in 1980 and brought to NZ by an American who lived and ultimately died, in Whitianga. It was acquired from his estate by Paul Trenwith of the Hamilton County Bluegrass Band who set it to working for its living. It then passed to Keith McMillan and on to the guy I bought it from.

Is it the best dreadnought I've ever played? No. That accolade goes to a brand new Martin D18. This one has the same character as my old D28; the harder you hit it, the louder it gets and always it's saying, "That all you got?" Based on that, I have named it 'Thumper'.

Plan is to clean it up and restring it this weekend. It's definitely player grade but it cost me the same as a student level Cort and if you can find reason that's not the wood that must not be named, I'm all ears.

Imagine what this would have cost with a different name on the headstock!
Looks awesome, and it certainly looks like the back is made from Br... the wood that must not be named. Score. And fantastic that you have such a complete account of its journey to find you.