The Resonator Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: The Resonator Thread

Post by jeremyb »

I'm wondering now if I should get a normal acoustic as a bridge towards a resonator first, thoughts?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

They have a brash tinny quality that at first leaves you wondering what to do with it. Tune it into open G or even better D, get your slide out and search for the sweet spots. It's a time travel trip and will take you somewhere that no other guitar can do.

Good intro though to tune your acoustic into G and see what you can find.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

calling card wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:33 am They have a brash tinny quality that at first leaves you wondering what to do with it. Tune it into open G or even better D, get your slide out and search for the sweet spots. It's a time travel trip and will take you somewhere that no other guitar can do.

This ^^

I once heard the sound described as that of a zinc bucket being kicked down some wooden stairs :moresarc:
I guess I like that kind of tone though. But I definitely would not have one as my only acoustic instrument. They are too limited, tonally. And for a while, after I'd learned to play "Romeo & Juliet', I was not sure what to do with it. Thankfully Bruce Cockburn provided some inspiration. Once you get into that world of swamp slide, it can be quite intoxicating.

Mine is usually tuned to open D or even open C.

A couple of other things to note.
Resonators are heavy and bulky. Mine weighs more than my Les Paul, I'd guess at least 5kg. Brass is heavy. You need a thick strap.
Resonators often have really thick necks, even when designed for fingerstyle. Not sure why.

So mine does not get played much, compared to my acoustics. But nothing else can get you that tone. If that's what you are looking for, no point in having an acoustic.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:39 pm
calling card wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:33 am They have a brash tinny quality that at first leaves you wondering what to do with it. Tune it into open G or even better D, get your slide out and search for the sweet spots. It's a time travel trip and will take you somewhere that no other guitar can do.

This ^^

I once heard the sound described as that of a zinc bucket being kicked down some wooden stairs :moresarc:
I guess I like that kind of tone though. But I definitely would not have one as my only acoustic instrument. They are too limited, tonally. And for a while, after I'd learned to play "Romeo & Juliet', I was not sure what to do with it. Thankfully Bruce Cockburn provided some inspiration. Once you get into that world of swamp slide, it can be quite intoxicating.

Mine is usually tuned to open D or even open C.

A couple of other things to note.
Resonators are heavy and bulky. Mine weighs more than my Les Paul, I'd guess at least 5kg. Brass is heavy. You need a thick strap.
Resonators often have really thick necks, even when designed for fingerstyle. Not sure why.

So mine does not get played much, compared to my acoustics. But nothing else can get you that tone. If that's what you are looking for, no point in having an acoustic.
I think the more I think about it the more an acoustic makes sense right now :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:58 pm

I think the more I think about it the more an acoustic makes sense right now :rofl:

What do you mean "right now"? Acoustics always make sense.

If you want to get half way between resonators and acoustics, you could try an archtop built in the 30's style. These can sound plenty bluesy & rootsy with the right strings.

You would need to look out for mahogany, not maple. And with a solid top at least. See recent thread on archtops.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:46 pm

If you want to get half way between resonators and acoustics, you could try an archtop built in the 30's style. These can sound plenty bluesy & rootsy with the right strings.

You would need to look out for mahogany, not maple. And with a solid top at least. See recent thread on archtops.
I do like the look of archtops for sure! More digging.... my 335 does a reasonable acoustic tone too, ergh....

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:38 am I'm wondering now if I should get a normal acoustic as a bridge towards a resonator first, thoughts?
Oh look, daza is back!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Your 335 tuned into the devil tuning will get you there and then some.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:40 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:38 am I'm wondering now if I should get a normal acoustic as a bridge towards a resonator first, thoughts?
Oh look, daza is back!
Any tips on a good piano forum?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:07 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:46 pm

I do like the look of archtops for sure! More digging.... my 335 does a reasonable acoustic tone too, ergh....
Archtops are cool.

335s do not make good acoustic guitars. :-)

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

There are no rules...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

calling card wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:16 pm There are no rules...

Damn thats cool!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

calling card wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:16 pm There are no rules...

Except that guy. He rules.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Discovered this kiwi guy building resonators in Nelson! BG!!!

https://www.mattsenguitars.co.nz/

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:00 pm Discovered this kiwi guy building resonators in Nelson! BG!!!

https://www.mattsenguitars.co.nz/
He was featured in Mr Glynns YT a while back.

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...