Artist Guitars?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Artist Guitars?

Post by Gitar »

jhyang549 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:00 pm
The HH Ash Tele is, by far, the chunkiest and nicest neck I've ever played out of the Artist lineup. The body is a solid piece of swamp ash with zero weight relief. It is heavy by modern standards - my one was 4.2 kg.
That sounds perfect, I need something beefy and weighty, again people these days dont get how a thick neck can also impact physics and ultimately susatain, tone, resonance etc. Im not sure why in the last couple of years there is this cult following of a guitars tone is only pickups. I mean, yeah if you only play with gain and a Black Winter bridge.

That is a pretty glowing review imo of this tele. Given its price point.

RE dropping a floyd/gotoh in, not hard if you know how, in fact you can learn off youtube within an hour, or use one of those templates available all over the place and know how to use some tools. Id say its a 7/10 difficulty..... at a quick esimate. The thing is its definitely easier on pre routed strat block and spring space, but if you are just doing a floyd, you save some meat as the string space is narrower.

I have heard of those HB p90s and Im sure Ive listened to them before but will again, cheers. I did a HB p90 marathon hunt and compare a couple years back. What it is that they lose, isnt so much the ability to sound like a single coil, its more that unrullyness a p90 offers, almost like an imperfection that sounds nice, if that makes sense. But yeah, close enough could be good enough. Obviously Id rather a real HB/P90, at the budget end you have the Yammy 311 and slightly more the Gretsch Streamliner JR, which is a bit of a copy of the naked Gibson, but who cares, it still sounds bonkers good for its price. But its $700 https://www.rockshop.co.nz/gretsch-g221 ... ric-guitar

I can buy this chunky Ash tele and drop the electronics (including a kill switch) and still end up slightly under likely. The outcome is a little bit like an EVH Wolfcaster, except Im aiming for Blues tones of all kinds in the neck and pure Metal in the bridge. Ultimately thats what I play so its likely to end up a highly used piece of kit.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Gitar wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:19 pm Obviously Id rather a real HB/P90, at the budget end you have the Yammy 311 and slightly more the Gretsch Streamliner JR, which is a bit of a copy of the naked Gibson, but who cares, it still sounds bonkers good for its price. But its $700 https://www.rockshop.co.nz/gretsch-g221 ... ric-guitar
In that price range, I'd rather buy the Harley Benton HP-42 Signature, which already comes with stainless steel frets. But that doesn't meet your "beefy and weighty" preference. The colour also is a bit of an acquired taste.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

jhyang549 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:37 pm
Gitar wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:19 pm Obviously Id rather a real HB/P90, at the budget end you have the Yammy 311 and slightly more the Gretsch Streamliner JR, which is a bit of a copy of the naked Gibson, but who cares, it still sounds bonkers good for its price. But its $700 https://www.rockshop.co.nz/gretsch-g221 ... ric-guitar
In that price range, I'd rather buy the Harley Benton HP-42 Signature, which already comes with stainless steel frets. But that doesn't meet your "beefy and weighty" preference. The colour also is a bit of an acquired taste.
Yeah Ive looked them up and down for a while now haha. And all of he fusion III line.

This is why Im tempted to put my project on hold and try out this Artist SS88FR, has an OG Floyd in it already and the option of a HBp90 is there. I do wish it were HSS though, or HS haha. I have seen guys drop an SSL6 in Ibanez S470s middle position and get a tone close to a strat single coils neck glassy goodness, but again, not quite. So Id prob go the HBP90 on this SS88FR. If I like it, use it, if I dont, sell it and keep my parts. With a real FR they shouldnt be dropping a lot of value either, which makes me sceptical haha, but hey, you have had good success and Ive seen many who love the active LPs. Also the original FR Special Super Strat (the blued model), it sounded great and was fully functional, plus the 100 days, how can ya lose.....

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Gitar wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:51 pm Yeah Ive looked them up and down for a while now haha. And all of he fusion III line.

This is why Im tempted to put my project on hold and try out this Artist SS88FR, has an OG Floyd in it already and the option of a HBp90 is there. I do wish it were HSS though, or HS haha. I have seen guys drop an SSL6 in Ibanez S470s middle position and get a tone close to a strat single coils neck glassy goodness, but again, not quite. So Id prob go the HBP90 on this SS88FR. If I like it, use it, if I dont, sell it and keep my parts. With a real FR they shouldnt be dropping a lot of value either, which makes me sceptical haha, but hey, you have had good success and Ive seen many who love the active LPs. Also the original FR Special Super Strat (the blued model), it sounded great and was fully functional, plus the 100 days, how can ya lose.....
Oh, man. I would love to see some photos of this later (whatever you decide in the end). That sounds fricking dope.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

jhyang549 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:20 pm Oh, man. I would love to see some photos of this later (whatever you decide in the end). That sounds fricking dope.
The one way I found to satisfy my GAS, is by projects, either projects, parts builds or complete builds via tools, it is so fn satisfying. Look at some of Lawrences builds, in the build guitar build sub thread, hes doing some really dope things. A guy I like on youtube is "lets build a guitar", he builds some insane things. But there is so much support out there for getting started etc.

But hey, if Artist can build a fun gat for $450, it saves me $1600. Or I build the Wolfcaster with their $330 Ash HH Tele. So many options to have fun with little money these days hehe. Even pickups, there are some dope pups out there for very little money, not all, some are shite, but well reviewed ones I tend to give a try, for $50, there isnt much to lose haha. ie these HBp90s are supposed to be pretty wicked for $40, they sound ok to me on my first listenings. https://thefretwire.com/products/tfw-hu ... d-p90-set/

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Actually another option for me is just buying a used Epi LP P90/P90 and putting a Mini Bucker in the bridge. I could then buy this Artist FR when its relased and all up Id have "past participle of get" 2 guitars for the price Im looking at for my fun guitar (~$2k). But wouldnt be as fun as building the EVH Wolfcaster now would it.....

Artist are saying this new FR model is a 5a maple top on slab of mahogany. Its so subjective and sometimes companies hock 3a off etc, so Im wondering if they will let me view the tops to make sure I get one I am comfortable with.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

You do get 5 free returns per calendar year. Any additional returns will incur a 20% restocking fee to your refund.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

FYI: the Artist AG100 and the Artist TL69BLD are back in stock.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 441 times
Been liked: 373 times

Post by dayl »

TBH, I have thought about keeping it simple and Swapping the PG out in one of these for a decent 1 Vol 1 Humbuck typw job and sending it in for a good settup.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 3728185816

but.... buy the time it gets back to me.. thats about seven hand shandy all up and its an Artist gat.... maybe sechand one day.... who knows.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

I don't think Artist Guitars right now are the best mod platform. A spec'd out "premium" Harley Benton I think is the best mod platform for the money

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Sechand dirt cheap + me being bored enough... anything is possible.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

Got mine for a couple of hand shandy, fitted two of the rio grande pups I already had and the stetsbar I had, bingo awesome guitar for the cash!
Attachments
2DE581D3-1700-4B6A-BB7A-2664EF4935EE.jpeg
2DE581D3-1700-4B6A-BB7A-2664EF4935EE.jpeg (353.19 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

That's the one!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Just ordered one of their 5 string hybrid P-J basses, sounds like a good time!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.