Artist Guitars?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Re: Artist Guitars?

Post by The Scarecrow »

I snagged Artist stuff because I was used to buying guitars with similar features and tones for around 3x the price. Although I'd like to say I'm not influenced by the name on the headstock, I still am to a degree... both my current main guitars are PRS but only because they were higher tiered instruments I'd wanted for ages. I've owned the TC59, Grungemaster, Gnosis6 which head_strong now has and the Cimmerian. Currently I have none (lol) as I liquidated to pay for my PRS baritone and other stuff, but would happily buy again if I needed another instrument. The value > $ factor here is very hard to go by.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

I'm waiting until Artist Guitars incorporate Stainless Steel frets (with good QC) across each guitar of their premium lineup. Then, it'll be a no-brainer mod platform guitar with frets that would easily outlast my life. The Artist Solaris has this but I have enough HH guitars.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:05 pm I snagged Artist stuff because I was used to buying guitars with similar features and tones for around 3x the price. Although I'd like to say I'm not influenced by the name on the headstock, I still am to a degree... both my current main guitars are PRS but only because they were higher tiered instruments I'd wanted for ages. I've owned the TC59, Grungemaster, Gnosis6 which head_strong now has and the Cimmerian. Currently I have none (lol) as I liquidated to pay for my PRS baritone and other stuff, but would happily buy again if I needed another instrument. The value > $ factor here is very hard to go by.
Yeah, I'm an Artist fanboy but none of their guitars could ever compete with the PRS core line. That is a totally different league. I don't think they could compete against the PRS SE line either.

EDIT: I have moved up a rank! Will update profile photo and signature accordingly.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

jhyang549 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:29 pm
The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:05 pm I snagged Artist stuff because I was used to buying guitars with similar features and tones for around 3x the price. Although I'd like to say I'm not influenced by the name on the headstock, I still am to a degree... both my current main guitars are PRS but only because they were higher tiered instruments I'd wanted for ages. I've owned the TC59, Grungemaster, Gnosis6 which head_strong now has and the Cimmerian. Currently I have none (lol) as I liquidated to pay for my PRS baritone and other stuff, but would happily buy again if I needed another instrument. The value > $ factor here is very hard to go by.
Yeah, I'm an Artist fanboy but none of their guitars could ever compete with the PRS core line. That is a totally different league. I don't think they could compete against the PRS SE line either.

EDIT: I have moved up a rank! Will update profile photo and signature accordingly.
Both my main guitars are SE's, but they're both signatures (Mark Holcomb & Mike Mushok.... ironically just realised my other main guitar is a signature too :lol: ) so IMO they sit on the higher end of the SE's, but I would agree, they SE's are still a cut above - I'd actually rate the PRS SE range over anything in the Epiphone range and most Mexican Fender stuff personally.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

What music do you play jhyang?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Slowy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:53 pm

Electronic music would be the umbrella term I would relate with. For a particular instrument, I record multiple takes and make loops with them. I then allow my DAW (Ableton) or my Octatrack to choose which loop to play using randomness. I also like making dance music in the style of Ricardo Villalobos and Andy Stott. I also love making ambient music and sound design in general. I'm really into the process of making music because I really suck at trying to making a song that is 100% of what I think in my head. I absolutely suck at making pop, blues, rock or metal songs.

I really don't like having more than 8 tracks in a project. I love the individual sound of guitars, bass, synthesizers and samples. I feel if I go more than 8 then I'm compromising too much each instrument's sonic signature to come through the mix. Also, I'm too lazy trying to mix a 40-track song that has, like, 6 different layers for the snare drum.

If you're interested, here's my Bandcamp page. Linked is probably my favourite track I've finished that prominently feature the guitar and bass.

https://kyonbai.bandcamp.com/track/strawberry-incense

Do we have a forum/threadon NZGuitars where any of us could share our music? I would love to hear your stuff too.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

jhyang549 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:26 pm

If you're interested, here's my Bandcamp page. Linked is probably my favourite track I've finished that prominently feature the guitar and bass.

Do we have a forum/threadon NZGuitars where any of us could share our music? I would love to hear your stuff too.
Will have a listen.
If you click on Board Index in the header then scroll down to Studio, there you are.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7647 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Post by jeremyb »

Check out the Harley Benton stuff, killer value for money, shipping is about a third the price of the guitar but....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 441 times
Been liked: 373 times

Post by dayl »

Played one. It was yuck. Great for a kid starting out though. Nice price point.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:05 pm I snagged Artist stuff because I was used to buying guitars with similar features and tones for around 3x the price.
I know some very accomplished guitarists who buy based on features, so nothing wrong with that. But nothing wrong with wanting high end models in your rack either. I think thats normal, well it is for me. I have no issue buying something cheap if it fills a niche or just wanna try it. In fact id suggest companies like Artist, HB, SX etc exist because most guitarists dont want to pay top tier for EVERY guitar.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 797 times
Been liked: 1288 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

jhyang549 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:26 pm
Slowy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:53 pm

Electronic music would be the umbrella term I would relate with. For a particular instrument, I record multiple takes and make loops with them. I then allow my DAW (Ableton) or my Octatrack to choose which loop to play using randomness. I also like making dance music in the style of Ricardo Villalobos and Andy Stott. I also love making ambient music and sound design in general. I'm really into the process of making music because I really suck at trying to making a song that is 100% of what I think in my head. I absolutely suck at making pop, blues, rock or metal songs.

I really don't like having more than 8 tracks in a project. I love the individual sound of guitars, bass, synthesizers and samples. I feel if I go more than 8 then I'm compromising too much each instrument's sonic signature to come through the mix. Also, I'm too lazy trying to mix a 40-track song that has, like, 6 different layers for the snare drum.

Just had a real quick listen . Nice stuff! Very listenable.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Here's some portraits of Artist Guitars that I've owned.
Attachments
IMG_3810.jpg
IMG_3810.jpg (199.84 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
IMG_3804.jpg
IMG_3804.jpg (159.38 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
IMG_3785.jpg
IMG_3785.jpg (140.94 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

jhyang549 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:11 pm Here's some portraits of Artist Guitars that I've owned.
I forgot about the HH Ash Tele they sell, nice grain. I was looking for a thick body I could put a p90 in, or just buy an Epi LP Special. It would save me having to replace all my building tools that I owned overseas to build this HB/p90, but then I am looking to put a Gotoh or FR Special (with replaced saddles) in it. If only there was a way to put a real p90 in the neck of this Tele and cover up the HB width, would make a damn cheap and easy project for me. Does it sound any good? What is the fretboard/frets like? I like that its using a 12" radius neck. I imagine there reasonably thick, any chance you could measure 1st and 12th neck depth?

Id probably refret it in stainless myself in time anyway.

But a lot of the HB's come with that blacksmith stainless fret wire, looks pretty nice wire.

Also to mention SX guitars, rubbish electronics but semi decent bodies and necks from what I can gather, Alder/Ash available.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Gitar wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm Also to mention SX guitars, rubbish electronics but semi decent bodies and necks from what I can gather, Alder/Ash available.
Used to think they should have put a u between the S & X :lol: but I'd concur with the above. Hit/miss though.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Gitar wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:11 pm Here's some portraits of Artist Guitars that I've owned.
I forgot about the HH Ash Tele they sell, nice grain. I was looking for a thick body I could put a p90 in, or just buy an Epi LP Special. It would save me having to replace all my building tools that I owned overseas to build this HB/p90, but then I am looking to put a Gotoh or FR Special (with replaced saddles) in it. If only there was a way to put a real p90 in the neck of this Tele and cover up the HB width, would make a damn cheap and easy project for me. Does it sound any good? What is the fretboard/frets like?

Id probably refret it in stainless myself in time anyway.

But a lot of the HB's come with that blacksmith stainless fret wire, looks pretty nice wire.

Also to mention SX guitars, rubbish electronics but semi decent bodies and necks from what I can gather, Alder/Ash available.
The HH Ash Tele is, by far, the chunkiest and nicest neck I've ever played out of the Artist lineup. The body is a solid piece of swamp ash with zero weight relief. It is heavy by modern standards - my one was 4.2 kg. Good luck playing that standing up for a long gig. I'm thinking that the wood wasn't properly dried so the heaviness is explained with the amount of water stored. There are no body contours (just like a classic Tele). I have no idea how much work would be involved in transforming this string-through guitar to have a Floyd Rose.

The stock humbuckers (Artist Bullbuckers) sound great. They are a clone of the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set. There is a Youtube videos comparing between the two here and here. They can also be coil split for tonal variety, although there is a noticeable volume drop and they don't sound as nearly as good as a dedicated single coil (e.g. Artist Wrangler pickups).

For price comparison, an HB with blacksmith stainless steel frets would be around $700 NZD (inclusive of shipping) from Thomann. The Artist TC59 is now selling for $339 (inclusive of shipping). The 100 day return policy is great if you decide the change your mind.

I really liked the maple neck and fretboard and being satisfied with the frets. There wasn't any sharp ends or dead spots or anything like that. B+ or Achieved with Merit grade.

I remember all positions in humbucker mode was hum cancelling. But strangely, in coil split mode the middle position wasn't hum cancelling.

If you're looking for a P90, I highly recommend Mr Glyn's “Black Sand” pickups. They are a P90 in a humbucker enclosure. Now, there are people who say that humbucker-sized P90s aren't real P90s and don't sound like P90s. They do sound different when critically listened but I feel the differences are practically negligible. Mr Glyn's “Black Sand” pickups sound fantastic. Although you would need the other pickup to be RWRP if you want hum cancelling in the middle position.

And, you're right, the weakest part of all Artist Guitars is the electronics and shielding. They are definitely noisier than my Radian Les Paul and slightly noisier than my Indonesian-Samick made Greg Bennett Royale 3. Not excessively noisy but you can tell the difference when switching between guitars.