Artist Guitars?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Re: Artist Guitars?

Post by Bg »

dayl wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:10 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:18 am There mighty bass arrived this morning, first impressions are decent, action is a bit high down the dusty end but nothing that can’t be cured… looking forward to plugging it in and having a listen!

How is it bro? Does it DONK?

Was thinking of grabbing one and gutting it for a decent crisp and clear jazz bass pup to keep things simple. Mainly because I expect sub par electronics.
The jazz I have, the pup is less than riveting. Will be changing, and pots etc just because. Build quality is fine though, fret ends need dressing etc as expected.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

head_strong
Squier
Been liked: 5 times

Post by head_strong »

head_strong wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:22 pm I recently purchased an Artist Gnosis6 off a forum member and really impressed with it. Pickups are quite dark but otherwise no complaints. Build quality seems great and no issues with tuning etc. Really can't go wrong for the price in my opinion
So coincidentally I found a set of Artist Bull Buckers (based on the JB and Jazz) for cheap cheap so nabbed them and threw them in. Has made a huge difference and sounds great. The original pickups were dark and a bit muddy but these liven it right up. Very happy. I've never played a JB or Jazz so can't comment on how they compare but that's not the point in this instance.

And it looks better as well!
IMG20220919190510.jpg
IMG20220919190510.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 5662 times

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

head_strong wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:28 pm
head_strong wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:22 pm I recently purchased an Artist Gnosis6 off a forum member and really impressed with it. Pickups are quite dark but otherwise no complaints. Build quality seems great and no issues with tuning etc. Really can't go wrong for the price in my opinion
So coincidentally I found a set of Artist Bull Buckers (based on the JB and Jazz) for cheap cheap so nabbed them and threw them in. Has made a huge difference and sounds great. The original pickups were dark and a bit muddy but these liven it right up. Very happy. I've never played a JB or Jazz so can't comment on how they compare but that's not the point in this instance.

And it looks better as well!

IMG20220919190510.jpg
Nice! I rate those Bullbuckers for the price and the one letdown on that Gnosis was the pickups, sounds like an improvement!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

head_strong wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:28 pm Very happy. I've never played a JB or Jazz .
The JB SH-4 is fairly hot at 16.6K Alnico with a focus on the trebs. Jazz on the other hand is a very articulated pickup, and not overly hot at 7.5k, but its a very nice sounding pickup. I see the JB and the 59 SH1 (8.5k) together more often. But I prefer the Jazz more personally).

In comparison the Bullbucker bridge is 15.4K and the neck 7.1k

So there is some slight discrepency in the DCR Output, but this is far from that important. At 15.4k the bullbucker bridge is plenty hot enough, the the BB neck output is fairly similar to that of the Jazz. But Output is just one aspect. I'd expect a good turn out.

Let us know what you think of the bullbucker interpretation. Its a claassic combo JB and Jazz.

I dont own them, but from what ive heard Im extremely impressed by their latest actives, HE-P (there is no other deliniation). They sound much closer to modern EMGs like Hot Retro 70s than the old school 81s seen in a lot of 80s Metal gats. Thes HE-P seem to have a ton of tone variation/capability. Sounding much much more organic, again based off the reviews Ive listened to, so a grain of salt there. Likely due to being Ceramic with an Active coil like some of the more modern EMGs. They are organic sounding to me.

Thought I'd post the pickup list in Artist's, may make things quicker for somebody.

https://www.artistguitars.com.au/view/p ... itars/1599

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

The Scarecrow wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:27 am
jhyang549 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:35 pm One of the upcoming Artist guitars I have my eye on is the Artist Solaris

It looks like a rebranded Harley Benton CST-24T

What really surprised me is how spec'ed out the Artist Solaris is. Stainless Steel frets. Bone nut. Artist Bullbucker pickups. Coil splitting. Two point trem. Locking tuners. All for $419 including shipping.

That is insane value if this isn't going to be a bait-and-switch and the quality checks is as good as my current Artist guitars.

I hope the fretwork is good because stainless steel frets are an absolute chore to install and polish well.
Had my eye on this as well, as it me it's a PRS SE Custom at around 33% of the retail price.

Just picked one of these up from the Artist bargain bin. Impressively delivered Friday morning after being ordered Thursday arvo.
So far, first impressions are quite good aesthetically and plays well despite having tiny (9's) rotten strings on it. The neck pickup doesn't seem to engage properly (sounds out of phase) so there's a minor wiring issue that I can resolve this weekend. But the bridge pickup (Bullbucker) is punchy and clear.

Is it as good as a PRS SE on which it's clearly based? For the price (about 25% of the retail for an SE), it's definitely nothing to scoff at in terms of look and feel and is only let down by easily resolvable wonky electronics and a good setup.
Attachments
artistsolaris.jpg
artistsolaris.jpg (109.68 KiB) Viewed 4683 times

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3459 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Congrats, looks great. Be interested to hear about the tuning stability with that trem.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Cdog wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:43 pm Congrats, looks great. Be interested to hear about the tuning stability with that trem.
Locking tuners and the fact I won't be going near the trem arm hopefully means stability. But I've lowered it down to Drop C and has held up about 90% for the last hour or so of heavy downward chuggery even on the tetanus-laden strings.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Post by jeremyb »

First thing I did on the 3 artists I have is throw away the strings, they're beyond horrible :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

lukewillasick
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by lukewillasick »

Picked up another artist guitar this week to go along with the les Paul I have.
Needed a change of strings and a bit of a tidy up of feet ends and stuff, but it is really bloody impressive for the price.
Is on sale for $380 on the artist website.
Attachments
IMG_1626.jpeg
IMG_1626.jpeg (1013.09 KiB) Viewed 4089 times

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1413 times

Post by robthemac »

lukewillasick wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:50 pm.
Needed a change of strings and a bit of a tidy up of feet ends and stuff
We have a thread for that.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

lukewillasick wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:50 pm Picked up another artist guitar this week to go along with the les Paul I have.
Needed a change of strings and a bit of a tidy up of feet ends and stuff, but it is really bloody impressive for the price.
First thing I do with all the ones I've bought is swap out the strings, they are complete garbage whatever they have on them, its gotta be disappointing for any beginner buying one, or would they not know any better, hmmm...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

lukewillasick
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by lukewillasick »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:23 am
lukewillasick wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:50 pm Picked up another artist guitar this week to go along with the les Paul I have.
First thing I do with all the ones I've bought is swap out the strings, they are complete garbage whatever they have on them, its gotta be disappointing for any beginner buying one, or would they not know any better, hmmm...
I definitely had a moment when I first took it out of its box that I had ended up with a shit one. The les Paul I bought second hand so was sweet right from the start.
I guess a real beginner wouldn’t know better, the state of some of my first guitars would confirm that haha.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Don't need but kinda want...