Artist Guitars?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Artist Guitars?

Post by Slowy »

Anybody tried them? Are they as good for the price as the rumours say?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Artist Guitars?

Post by Wairarapajack »

No personal experience, but a few people on here say nice things:

viewtopic.php?t=38828#p896743

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

A mate of mine has a Harley Benton Tele. To be honest it didnt even slightly resemble a musical instrument, more like a hunk of lumber from behind the shed. Heavy and non resonant as fuck. Simply horrible,

Disclaimer: I am an obnoxious fussy prick who's taste in guitars is way above his ability to play or afford them.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1060 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

vinylguy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:20 am A mate of mine has a Harley Benton Tele. To be honest it didnt even slightly resemble a musical instrument, more like a hunk of lumber from behind the shed. Heavy and non resonant as fuck. Simply horrible,

Disclaimer: I am an obnoxious fussy prick who's taste in guitars is way above his ability to play or afford them.
Are HB and Artist the same things with different labels?

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by smallface »

I found the Jazzmaster model (Grungemaster) surprisingly good. Really loved the neck on it and then I put a chigsby on it and gifted it to a mate who loves it to bits. And the P90s on it sound more than acceptable.
Grungemaster.jpg
Grungemaster.jpg (885.78 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Never bought a guitar but three of their tweed cases over the years. Not quite TKL or CG ( the makers of Gibson and Fender CS cases ) quality but perfectly adequate for the task, considerably cheaper and readily available when you need one.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 587 times

Post by Starfire »

If the F-holes were in the right place on the 335 copies, and they came in a natural finish, I’d probably give one a go.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Post by jeremyb »

I've had one of their parlour acoustics, great solid top guitar for not much money!

I've bought a Harley Benton HB35+ though and its extremely good, the only thing I'm changing is the tuners for locking ones, the pickups and other hardware are great, as is the finish and build quality, had Alan Farrow set it up for me and apart from getting the action to my liking and fixing the intonation he didn't have to do anything else to it! Amazing.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 748 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by Miza »

I might be in need of a cheap guitar soon and I've been wondering about those Grungemasters. The demo Brett Kingman does sounds pretty good.

Anyone tried their teles or strats?

I imagine it could become one of those traps where you eventually end up spending 2-3 times the original price of the guitar on upgrades.
Nothing to see here.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Miza wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:11 pm I might be in need of a cheap guitar soon and I've been wondering about those Grungemasters. The demo Brett Kingman does sounds pretty good.

Anyone tried their teles or strats?

I imagine it could become one of those traps where you eventually end up spending 2-3 times the original price of the guitar on upgrades.
Yeah, gotta be wary of that, the Gotoh tuners for my Harley Benton I ordered cost $200, the guitar shipped was only about $600 :rofl: but its definitely a keeper, and the pickups and everything else about it are excellent.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

smallface wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:16 am I found the Jazzmaster model (Grungemaster) surprisingly good. Really loved the neck on it and then I put a chigsby on it and gifted it to a mate who loves it to bits. And the P90s on it sound more than acceptable.

Grungemaster.jpg
I'm thinking there might be a grungemaster in exactly that finish in my near future :think:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

I’ve bought a few things from Artist Guitars on TM and rather annoyingly every single time whatever I’ve bought has been sent to the wrong address. It ends up being sorted after a few phone calls, but even adding a note or sending them an email doesn’t seem to prevent my orders going off to some random address that is nothing to do with me

That aside, would I try one of their guitars? Yeah probably. If it plays and sounds good I’m not going to get hung up on what it says on the headstock. I had a cheap Haze Les Paul once, paid $300 for it and it was bloody great
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Sweetwater sent something to me addressed: Conway Paton, Flat 2, Auckland, New Zealand.

I received it fine.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I've bought one of their hard cases before, returned it cause it was garbage... they were very good tho', free shipping to return and full refund!

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Conway wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:14 pm Sweetwater sent something to me addressed: Conway Paton, Flat 2, Auckland, New Zealand.

I received it fine.
Wow. Maybe you have so much gear coming in they just remember where to send it :lol:
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”