NGD: Les Paul Classic

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Re: NGD: Les Paul Classic

Post by jimi »

Great looking LP, good score!

I was looking forward to trying the PAF rabbit hole when I got my LP, but the Burstbuckers in there sound too good to swap.

Have SD alnico II in my Ash Aurum, and 57 classics in the 335. All sound good. I think the BBs sound the best, but recently lowered the SDs and now loving the sound from those a lot more.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Looks like a beauty Reg! Congratulations!!

If Glyn has done the repair it’s probably better than new now anyway!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

codedog wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 am I keep hearing (maybe inaccurately) that Gibson LPs are "heavyweights"... especially Classics. How much does this one weigh? As crazy as those Vintage LPs?
Lots of pre-70's ones don't weight that much at all. Under 4kg in many listings I saw. Which is what R9's generally aims at weight wise.

70's onwards is a different story...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Reg18 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:09 am I’m tempted to try some low wind PAFs, or should I just keep it as is?
Depends on how much money you want to spend. BB1/BB2's (NOT the BB Pro) are generally pretty decent and came in R8/R9's for many years before they made Custombuckers.

Another thing I found over the years is that some modern "PAF-type" pickups are more for getting a LP-ish sound in a strat/superstrat and can be honk city in an actual LP. Dimarzio PAF Pro and BKP Black Dog are typical examples. I think the rule of thumb is getting something relatively scooped, especially for heavier weight specimen.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Reg18 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:46 am I am tempted but it seems like a bit of an expensive rabbit hole to go down. I’ve played Seth Lovers which I liked but apart from
That I’ve only had Gibson pickups, Burst Buckers, Classic 57s.
I was always interested to try the Diarmazio 36th Anniversary pickups which could be a good option.
And I’ve noticed a lot of people recommending Mr Glyns pickups in general so that could be an option to try.
For an LP, I just cannot go past 36th Annis. They get me every time. The best LP I've heard/owned had them in (and still do I think, Polar Bear?)

Bareknuckle Mules are the only ones that I like with an SG.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

godgrinder wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:26 pm
codedog wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 am I keep hearing (maybe inaccurately) that Gibson LPs are "heavyweights"... especially Classics. How much does this one weigh? As crazy as those Vintage LPs?
Lots of pre-70's ones don't weight that much at all. Under 4kg in many listings I saw. Which is what R9's generally aims at weight wise.

Not sure if you realised, by "Vintage" I actually meant the brand. I've only ever played one, which must've been hollowed out and filled with lead. Reg had played a few, I think, and concurred.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

codedog wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 pm Not sure if you realised, by "Vintage" I actually meant the brand. I've only ever played one, which must've been hollowed out and filled with lead. Reg had played a few, I think, and concurred.
Ah I see, almost forgot that brand existed haha.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

codedog wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 pm
godgrinder wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:26 pm

Not sure if you realised, by "Vintage" I actually meant the brand. I've only ever played one, which must've been hollowed out and filled with lead. Reg had played a few, I think, and concurred.
Its been a long time since I played one of the Vintage (brand) LPs, but I was doing some reading up on them recently and most people said, great guitars but heavy.
This Les Paul Classic is pretty normal
Weight for LP, not light like a fully weight relieved model.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

TmcB wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm
Reg18 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:46 am I am tempted but it seems like a bit of an expensive rabbit hole to go down. I’ve played Seth Lovers which I liked but apart from
That I’ve only had Gibson pickups, Burst Buckers, Classic 57s.
I was always interested to try the Diarmazio 36th Anniversary pickups which could be a good option.
And I’ve noticed a lot of people recommending Mr Glyns pickups in general so that could be an option to try.
For an LP, I just cannot go past 36th Annis. They get me every time. The best LP I've heard/owned had them in (and still do I think, Polar Bear?)

Bareknuckle Mules are the only ones that I like with an SG.
Still does, yep. For a while I was finding them a bit bright, but it’s new role means they’re back to being pretty much perfect.

I’m a big Seth Lover, Pearly Gates and Whole Lotta Humbucker fan too. They all mine the same territory, just with different outputs and flavours.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

jimi wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 pm Great looking LP, good score!

I was looking forward to trying the PAF rabbit hole when I got my LP, but the Burstbuckers in there sound too good to swap.

Have SD alnico II in my Ash Aurum, and 57 classics in the 335. All sound good. I think the BBs sound the best, but recently lowered the SDs and now loving the sound from those a lot more.
Hi Reg,

Congrats on the beautiful guitar!

To echo Jimi's thoughts have you tried lowering or adjusting the pickup heights?
Greenstone Amplifiers

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:46 pm
jimi wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 pm Great looking LP, good score!

Hi Reg,

Congrats on the beautiful guitar!

To echo Jimi's thoughts have you tried lowering or adjusting the pickup heights?
Yeah I did that yesterday actually, I don’t mind the pickups that much. They sound good on around 5-8 on the volume too without loosing to much. I might just leave them in
For now unless I see a good deal come up on a set of something else. The ceramic magnets give a reasonably snappy feel which I like but because they are hot they overdrive really early.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Nice looking Les Paul Reg.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie