NGD: Nylon crossover

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

quyet
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

NGD: Nylon crossover

Post by quyet »

I got this for thumbing - Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Buster B Jones, etc. It's a Cordoba Fusion 14 with a 48mm nut and 16" radius fretboard.

All thumbs up for Rockshop. The first one I picked up was a lemon with a faulty mic, but they let me exchange it the next day.

Overall, I don't think it's worth the high price tag for being built in China with some quality control issues, but as a niche guitar for a very specific genre, I'm quite satisfied with this one. It strikes a nice balance between acoustic and electric tones, while the cheaper Yamaha and Takamine electric nylons sounded bad unplugged.

It's going to take a while to find the best way to record it. Right now I'm just going out of studio monitors, and the piezo sounds quite nice blended with the little internal mic. That's the main reason I didn't get the cheaper Fusion 5 model.

Looking forward to running it through a mate's princeton reverb :P
Attachments
20210928_171640.jpg
20210928_171640.jpg (101.38 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
20210928_171614.jpg
20210928_171614.jpg (128.64 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
20210928_171604.jpg
20210928_171604.jpg (121.27 KiB) Viewed 2308 times

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: NGD: Nylon crossover

Post by Slowy »

quyet wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:35 pm I got this for thumbing - Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Buster B Jones, etc. It's a Cordoba Fusion 14 with a 48mm nut and 16" radius fretboard.

All thumbs up for Rockshop. The first one I picked up was a lemon with a faulty mic, but they let me exchange it the next day.

Overall, I don't think it's worth the high price tag for being built in China with some quality control issues, but as a niche guitar for a very specific genre, I'm quite satisfied with this one. It strikes a nice balance between acoustic and electric tones, while the cheaper Yamaha and Takamine electric nylons sounded bad unplugged.

It's going to take a while to find the best way to record it. Right now I'm just going out of studio monitors, and the piezo sounds quite nice blended with the little internal mic. That's the main reason I didn't get the cheaper Fusion 5 model.

Nice! Come and try my AER.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

quyet wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:35 pm I got this for thumbing - Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Buster B Jones, etc. It's a Cordoba Fusion 14 with a 48mm nut and 16" radius fretboard.

Great choice, and looks awesome too.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

That looks fantastic... I didn't know they exist!

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

I really wanted a Chet Atkins solid body nylon.

Rockshop has this strange reissue. https://www.rockshop.co.nz/epiphone-cec ... cal-guitar
An Epiphone CEC. But it's super small, like a Les Paul.

The cool feature is that the preamp can send the bass and treble strings to L/R and give a stereo effect for boom chick thumbing like this stereo gretsch

But yeah, this Epiphone is weird and not a single video or decent review online. Pass.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

quyet wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:46 pm I really wanted a Chet Atkins solid body nylon.

Rockshop has this strange reissue. https://www.rockshop.co.nz/epiphone-cec ... cal-guitar

The cool feature is that the preamp can send the bass and treble strings to L/R and give a stereo effect for boom chick thumbing like this stereo gretsch

But yeah, this Epiphone is weird and not a single video or decent review online. Pass.
Bandmate has one........ :yawn:
YMMV.

The Oleg effect again but I was completely sold on the Godin Multiac. That's probably the guitar I most need in my life right now. It was amazing. Think a nylon string Telecaster.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

quyet wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:46 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Oh Yes!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

While we're posting unachievable (for me) videos, here's one of the guitar in the NGD.

Ay, chihuahua!

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:48 pm
quyet wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:46 pm I really wanted a Chet Atkins solid body nylon.

Bandmate has one........ :yawn:
YMMV.

The Oleg effect again but I was completely sold on the Godin Multiac. That's probably the guitar I most need in my life right now. It was amazing. Think a nylon string Telecaster.
Multiac is of course top tier. I missed one on FB for 2k... what are they like 3.5 new?

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

the inspiration, the goal:

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

What is the price point? That is one fancy back? Congrats!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

GrantB wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:29 pm What is the price point? That is one fancy back? Congrats!
RS stocks them at 1.5k

I think its pretty much the same as the regular style classical C7 cutaway for 1.3k, but priced up for the different fretboard and radius.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

quyet wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:05 pm the inspiration, the goal:

Just when I start feeling good about myself..... :(

Gorgeous technique. Looks like he's using the Melodic Banjo style; one note per string. Makes for fast and fluid playing.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

quyet wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:46 pm

JESUS H CHRIST. Fucking outstanding playing there!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Somehow missed that - awesome with headphones on. This is how Gretsch (and Gibson) envisaged these stereo guitars being used. Until us Rock N Roll numpties ruined it for them!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves