HNPRSD

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

HNPRSD

Post by Molly »

Thanks Nik. What a lovely guitar. Quick A/B with my other one and they're chalk and cheese (or at least Cheddar and Colby).

Red one weighs 8.75lbs. Black one 8.72. Red one's darker and more woody sounding (is that what some would describe as 'pronounced mids'?). The black one is brighter.

Got some pickups to play with. Red has BKs in there at the moment. Might put them in the other.

red and black.jpg
red and black.jpg (879.72 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: HNPRSD

Post by StratMatt »

Lovely pair, sir.
Loving it so far

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Molly wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am Red one's darker and more woody sounding (is that what some would describe as 'pronounced mids'?). The black one is brighter.

red and black.jpg
You wouldn't describe the mids as 'haunting'?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

loverly! I think I want that black one :think: dibs? :mrgreen:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

StratMatt wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 am Lovely pair, sir.
That is, indeed, what she said.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Molly wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am Thanks Nik. What a lovely guitar. Quick A/B with my other one and they're chalk and cheese (or at least Cheddar and Colby).

Red one weighs 8.75lbs. Black one 8.72. Red one's darker and more woody sounding (is that what some would describe as 'pronounced mids'?). The black one is brighter.

Got some pickups to play with. Red has BKs in there at the moment. Might put them in the other.

red and black.jpg
That's another one I used to own. I brought it in from the USA about 10 years ago and owned it until recently. Nick changed the pickups to something more vintage-sounding, --less winds. So that might be the most significant difference you are hearing. The original bridge pickup on those guitars is pretty hot. It should be a great guitar for playing southern blues because I bought it in Texas. :-)

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 209 times

Post by JoeBlow »

Beautiful. Similar neck profiles?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

JoeBlow wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:48 am Beautiful. Similar neck profiles?
Yes. Feel the same. Bridge must affect right hand position because I played the same thing for my comparison but initially fluffed-it.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:16 am
Molly wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am Thanks Nik. What a lovely guitar. Quick A/B with my other one and they're chalk and cheese (or at least Cheddar and Colby).

red and black.jpg
That's another one I used to own. I brought it in from the USA about 10 years ago and owned it until recently. Nick changed the pickups to something more vintage-sounding, --less winds. So that might be the most significant difference you are hearing. The original bridge pickup on those guitars is pretty hot. It should be a great guitar for playing southern blues because I bought it in Texas. :-)
Don't know what year it is do you?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

It’s a 2001 according to the serial number. Glad it arrived in one piece :thumbup:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Proper pair of guitars for one-eyed Cantabrians!

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

red and black.jpg
Very nice!

Is the wrap tail aluminium? I recon that accounts for a lot of the zing on old juniors/specials etc.

philbit
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by philbit »

Nice pair 😎

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

murky wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:57 pm

red and black.jpg
Very nice!

Is the wrap tail aluminium? I recon that accounts for a lot of the zing on old juniors/specials etc.
Yes. It is. There's a more recent version with brass inserts. Probably spendy though.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

They look so classy with the faux-binding. I definitely prefer that look. I'm not a huge PRS fan, but I've always thought the black gloss showed off the carved top really nicely.