Guitar Racks?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Guitar Racks?

Post by NippleWrestler »

I'm looking to upgrade my cheapy guitar rack I bought kff trademe. It's low quality and just wobbles a bit too much.

What do you folks use? I'm looking at the Gravity Vari g7 or the Hercules rack, which is cool but only 5 guitars. I'd really like a string swing but they're difficult to get here.

Any suggestions, feedback, advice, recipes?

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: Guitar Racks?

Post by Jake »

If you like DIY, you can build yourself one quite easily.
My brother and I built matching ones out of recycled timber from the house we grew up in. Fun experience! For padding we added a layer of foam (chopped up yoga mats) with some nice blue felt upholstered overtop. Am out of town currently but will take some photos when I'm back if you want.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Making me think - not many stands I have really loved and felt they protected the instrument well. I use the foam covered 7 instrument one that used to sell through Music Works. Good for the office. Too long for many stages.

For live I use this. Not too bad...bottom inserts are a bit naff is all. Top slots do hold things in place. Small for the car when folded up. Like a short guitar case.
Attachments
Stand.png
Stand.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 2199 times
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

i use a 5 guitar Hercules, it’s ok but desperately needed some lock-tite. I’ve got a custom multi guitar case thing that I use for some gigs too

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Jake wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:44 pm If you like DIY, you can build yourself one quite easily.
My brother and I built matching ones out of recycled timber from the house we grew up in. Fun experience! For padding we added a layer of foam (chopped up yoga mats) with some nice blue felt upholstered overtop. Am out of town currently but will take some photos when I'm back if you want.
This is looking like a good option and not too complex a project. Do you have the plans anywhere?

mop
Fender
Fender
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mop »

NippleWrestler wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:06 pm
Jake wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:44 pm If you like DIY, you can build yourself one quite easily.
This is looking like a good option and not too complex a project. Do you have the plans anywhere?
I’m quite keen to do this too, just need to work out what sort of padding looks tidy and won’t harm sensitive finishes

hudsonsaul
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by hudsonsaul »

Be interested to see what u end up with. I've been looking for a stable one that can hold at least 5 (including an acoustic) that is a) stable b) small as possible foot print c) doesn't require guitars to be at an angle, ideally upright.

C - is pretty important so many dings, scratches, paint coming off walls from where the heads inevitably touch the wall.