A question for acoustic guitar snobs

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

quyet
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

A question for acoustic guitar snobs

Post by quyet »

How do you describe the sound of this Gibson? I love it, seems like a special one. To me it sounds dry, like an old martin (my frame of reference is limited), like a 70yo Gibson I guess... There's something buttery about the attack, but probably the player's skill there.

I really cannot tell the difference from an old J45 and a D18. So to the nerds, what are the right words? 'woody low mids' and something bracing, etc.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: A question for acoustic guitar snobs

Post by Molly »

quyet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:57 pm How do you describe the sound of this Gibson? I love it, seems like a special one. To me it sounds dry, like an old martin (my frame of reference is limited), like a 70yo Gibson I guess... There's something buttery about the attack, but probably the player's skill there.

I really cannot tell the difference from an old J45 and a D18. So to the nerds, what are the right words? 'woody low mids' and something bracing, etc.

No idea but, shit, he can play. So, is that bluegrass? Excuse my ignorance. Genuine question.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 pm

No idea but, shit, he can play. So, is that bluegrass? Excuse my ignorance. Genuine question.
Nope. Ragtime.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

The player would make anything sound good, but aside from that...

That's not a J45, it is an LG-2 (smaller, like an L-00 but wider in the waist) which is fantastic for finger picking. They hit the sweet spot at a relatively low volume and are very pleasing to the ear for both player and listener.

Looks like a '50s model, tuners are replaced (buttons far too white, the original buttons crumble quite often, not hard to replace the button only).

Sounds like a Gibson, the midrange is there. A Martin of similar size (00-18 perhaps, which like the LG-2 will be Spruce and Mahogany) will sound somewhat similar, but slightly more scooped in the midrange. YMMV and welcome to the rabbit hole.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:50 pm

Nope. Ragtime.
There's a poor taste joke in there at the wife's expense, but I won't go there.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Boy can play. Chet Atkins would be happy with that effort.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:15 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:50 pm

Nope. Ragtime.
There's a poor taste joke in there at the wife's expense, but I won't go there.
and there goes any hope of sustaining female members....

(oops, but its 'hard' not too)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

robnobcorncob wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:56 pm The player would make anything sound good, but aside from that...

That's not a J45, it is an LG-2 (smaller, like an L-00 but wider in the waist) which is fantastic for finger picking. They hit the sweet spot at a relatively low volume and are very pleasing to the ear for both player and listener.

Looks like a '50s model, tuners are replaced (buttons far too white, the original buttons crumble quite often, not hard to replace the button only).

Sounds like a Gibson, the midrange is there. A Martin of similar size (00-18 perhaps, which like the LG-2 will be Spruce and Mahogany) will sound somewhat similar, but slightly more scooped in the midrange. YMMV and welcome to the rabbit hole.
It's really well recorded. There's no way it's punching out that much presence and volume in the room but it's a great example of why these things are beloved of recording engineers.

And everywhere I look these days, I encounter Sturgill Simpson. :think:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:52 pm And everywhere I look these days, I encounter Sturgill Simpson. :think:
Discovered him through the numerous mentions by Jason Isbell. Quite enjoyed his Tiny Desk solo gig.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

Dry, like a Martini.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

It sounds quite a lot like the '37 Harmony parlour I had a few years ago (it needed a little work to keep it going for another ~80 years, so I sold it on to someone who could better afford to fix it up), albeit a bit brighter/with a bit more sustain. Though that's comparing a recorded guitar, as Slowy points out, to one I had in my hands. I feel like some metal fingerpicks and that Art & Lutherie Ami on TradeMe could probably get you in the ballpark for cheap.

standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by standardfour »

I have a 1963 LG-0 and it sounds just like that, well it would if I had 30% of the talent that guy has. But it certainly has that seasoned thud and the bright jangly highs. I agree with the ‘dry’ description, i feel like the aged wood starts to sound more ‘boxy’, if that’s even a word. The LG-0 was an absolute student model but it’s maybe the lower quality that adds the character. Highly recommend them, still see them cheap sometimes.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Very dry, some what scoopsedin the upper mids while at the same being boxy in the lower mids. Not too bright - you wouldn't call that an 'airy' sound. I have an LG0, love that dirty dry Gibson sound. Darren Watson plays a 50's LG2 like the one above.