Would you happily play a really cheap guitar?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Would you happily play a really cheap guitar?

Post by Molly »

Question inspired by an interview I saw with Jack Pearson. Successful guitar player that quite happily plays a Squier he paid $87 for.

From 3:53

How low would you go? Does ego play a part? Do expensive guitars reflect your 'seriousness'?

Being brutally honest with myself, I don't think I could rock-up to an open-night or audition etc. with a cheap guitar. :oops:

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Re: Would you happily play a really cheap guitar?

Post by Dharmajester »

As an owner ( and happy player ) of two Danelectro and one Supro guitars I'd say yes. They don't get the same use as the more expensive stuff but for reasons other than embarrassment.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I've done plenty of gigs with an Epiphone LP100. It plays great and feels nice in the hands. It's not my problem if other people have a problem and if they did it'd say more about them I guess. That guitar cost me 75 quid.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

We all love toys too much ;-)
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:01 pm As an owner ( and happy player ) of two Danelectro and one Supro guitars I'd say yes. They don't get the same use as the more expensive stuff but for reasons other than embarrassment.
I remember an interview with Crowded House where they said cheap guitars can have their own thing so they weren't averse to using them.
NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:03 pm I've done plenty of gigs with an Epiphone LP100. It plays great and feels nice in the hands. It's not my problem if other people have a problem and if they did it'd say more about them I guess. That guitar cost me 75 quid.
We're maybe conditioned to want / rate high-end gear so some of it is understandable. But I did have one of those Indonesian Strats and it really was a perfectly good guitar.

I dropped-in at an open-night a few days ago. When I saw the cramped set-up in the corner of the room I thought I'd be worried sick about taking anything valuable. So there's that reason for using cheap guitars if no other.

No judgement either way.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

One of the best playing guitars I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with was an early 2000s Squier Affinity Strat. Skinny neck, but handled really low action with no buzz and great sustain. Stayed in tune. Sounded fine, but not amazing. Owned by a mate who went on to do a jazz degree. He bought a Gibson ES-137 for it, but mostly played his faithful Squier.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I can understand the value aspect as well, taking a $5k guitar to a dive bar can be a risky prospect. I took the lp100 because it suited what we were doing (since the upgrades are worth more than the guitar), nothing more or less.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:16 pm I can understand the value aspect as well, taking a $5k guitar to a dive bar can be a risky prospect. I took the lp100 because it suited what we were doing (since the upgrades are worth more than the guitar), nothing more or less.
I recall Chris Buck saying much the same thing.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Depends on how you define cheap. I’ve found I can put a Warmoth neck on a cheap body with decent pickups and bridge and be happier than I was with my $7000 PRS. So in that regard, I could probably get something I’m really happy with for around $600.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I think anyone who puts price over playability has an issue....

and to be fair its probably just not about guitars but about everything including size of the knob :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Yep - no cheaper than $1K otherwise I can blame the guitar... :)
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

None of my guitars are expensive, as long as they play well, sound good and don't need constant maintenance, I'm happy.

Somewhere around the $1000 to $1500 mark achieves that.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Strats can be cheap and cheerful, and a nonissue in terms of owning and playing. Set neck mahogany beasts with p90s or humbuckers, and I get snobby. I just cannot get the sounds I want from dirt cheap equivalents. But a $1200 LP Special would do the trick no problems. So would a $10k R9, with the $8,800 being knob size tax.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I used to have brand insecurity, then something happened; my fingers and ears started to have opinions. Now my fingers and ears judge a guitar; little else gets a look in. And while there is a minimum price on a functioning musical tool, it's nowhere near as much as we often pay.

Still, as Grant says, designs differ. But I'll play anything, as long as I like it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

The sub-$1k Reverends I was buying second hand 5-7 years ago I’d put against anything I’ve purchased since. But the ‘gots-ta-have’ stepped in and here I am with nothing under the $3k mark, and actually no happier.