Would you happily play a really cheap guitar?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: Would you happily play a really cheap guitar?

Post by Delayman »

Not super cheap but my mexi player strat felt better than any strat i could play at the shop. I tried Elites etc.

I'm super happy with it, and the only thing i hanker for is my old faded SG, also a cheap favourite.

My big things are the feel of the neck, and frets. I have big hands and must overplay - if the fret are jumbos i get annoyed at the pitch difference depending on where in the fret I'm pressing. Most everything else I can work around or replace.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I need expensive acoustics; cheap ones never feel truly comfortable. But I'm the opposite with electrics. I had a Doozy Starplayer which I loved; magnificent guitar, superb player, great sound, perfect condition.

But I found I couldn't gig it. It made me feel like I was walking through a muddy field wearing an Armani suit. Its flawless finish distracted me all the time; couldn't relax with it.

Cheaper guitars, with enough spent on them to make them play well are the perfect gigging tools.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:10 pm I need expensive acoustics; cheap ones never feel truly comfortable. But I'm the opposite with electrics. I had a Doozy Starplayer which I loved; magnificent guitar, superb player, great sound, perfect condition.

But I found I couldn't gig it. It made me feel like I was walking through a muddy field wearing an Armani suit. Its flawless finish distracted me all the time; couldn't relax with it.

Cheaper guitars, with enough spent on them to make them play well are the perfect gigging tools.
Or just buy expensive nitro guitars and let them get beat up to the point that one more ding ain't gonna hurt.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:16 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:10 pm I need expensive acoustics; cheap ones never feel truly comfortable. But I'm the opposite with electrics. I had a Doozy Starplayer which I loved; magnificent guitar, superb player, great sound, perfect condition.

Or just buy expensive nitro guitars and let them get beat up to the point that one more ding ain't gonna hurt.
Refer to my comment about living within one's means. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I know this feeling. I had a Johnny Marr Jag that was too nice for me. That's not an expensive guitar at all compared to many, but the finish was really nice and always felt like I didn't want to damage it.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I’ve been playing a Squier Strat as one of my two electrics for a couple years. It’s cheap but a fucking good instrument after I replaced wiring with an Obsidian kit

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

If it's reliable, sounds good and feels good to play, it's good. Usually a cheaper one will fall short on at least one of these unless you put a bit of work into it. I would happily own a bunch of cheaper guitars that satisfy certain sounds. I like the idea of owning at least one special guitar though, even if I end up gigging a cheaper gat. Sometimes having something cool is just inspiring.

Also, finally getting the guitar that you always wanted makes you realise you still need to practice... haha.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

I'm guilty of getting cheapos. Never spent more than 1200 on one. My current number one is an Epi LP from '01. Cost me $850 last year second hand.
Chucked a pearly gates and a String Butler on it and its rock solid and sings. Dont think I'll ever sell it.
I've actually always preferred spending my money rolling amps and cabs rather than gats.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Love a good cheap gat that I don't have to worry about babying.

Had an Ibanez AXS32 that I paid about $250 for around 2014, that thing was fucking superb. Have also had a multitude of great Squiers - particularly sig. models - John 5 and the Deryck Whibley which were incredibly good value and under $500.

Best bang for buck value lately has to be the Artist TC59 Telecasters or Grungemasters, I've had the former and aside from having the mass of a black hole it was incredibly high end sounding and playing for a guitar I paid $200 for. I've jammed quickly on the GM and it will be my next cheap pickup.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

In the shed I have a LTD pointy set-neck Explorer with proper EMGs that sands me at $190 (it came with a stupidly big case that I sold). It's actually my wee boy's guitar but is far too big for him.

If pointy was your thing I expect it'd be hard to beat at the price.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

All my current guitars are sub 1k. Only one that was over 1k was my american tele i regret selling. All my guitars are modded or partscasters, and most have more money in the electronics than the cost of them..

Have been looking at baritones and still having issues pulling the pin on 1200-1500, knowing that once ive got them and had them setup and put my spare set of Attitudes im in for about 2k...

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

All mine are sub $1000. The most expensive is a Squier VM Jazzmaster, amazing quality for the $900 cost. Next is the Squier Starcaster, again top fit and finish. I do have a set of Mojotone WRHB to install, the Squier ones are not quite the same magnet set up.

Many years ago I bought a $3500 dollar tricone resonator made by Amistar. Engraved and all the bells and whistles. Really wonderful, but unemployment meant I had to sell it. Since then I have had some mid range resos, and to be honest, they play and sound just as good if you know how to set them up. Currently running an Airesi from China, sounds great.

The rest of my 30 odd acoustics are cheap department store guitars from the 30's to the 70's, mainly Harmony, Silvertone and various as well as mandolins, ukeleles and a tiple. If you can reset neck and set these up, you can get some stunning instruments, they used solid woods back then.

My top acoustic is a 1969 Fender 1050, ladder braced OM sized, one piece mahogany back made by Harmony with the most amazing bear claw spruce top, cost $500.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

The million dollar question is, would you happily play a really cheap amp????
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm The million dollar question is, would you happily play a really cheap amp????
No.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm The million dollar question is, would you happily play a really cheap amp????
To be fair, my two tube amps cost me less than $1000 for the pair, so I do play cheap amps.