Would you happily play a really cheap guitar?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Would you happily play a really cheap guitar?

Post by jeremyb »

Delayman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:38 am If we're talking generally going low brow - I have sidelined my whole pedal board for a Boss GT-1 (with Fs-6 switch) followed by an MXR 10 band eq, into an AC15.

Don't think I've ever been happier with my sound.

The MXR eq is always on to fix a few things i don't like about the basic AC15 sound, and the GT-1 covers everything else. Of course the GT-1 has eq's in it, but I wanted the separate eq at my fingertips to correct global things on the fly.

I found almost all of the GT-1 presets to be awful, but with editing i have enough patches I'm happy with (about 10 sounds). And I haven't really spent much time exploring the GT-1.
I did a speaker swap in my old AC15 and that cured my issues! The AC10 however just sounds awesome, haven’t touched a thing, I think Sizzlingbadger tried different tubes in his one abs went back to the stock ones, such a great amp.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I do 99.9% of my playing through a 15w solid state H&K practice amp, it sounds great for what it is and even does a pretty good job of neck pick up strat noises.

If I were to buy something else to further explore the rock and blues stuff it would only be a Blues Jr or similar.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I do 99.9% of my playing through a helix lt. Its not cheap but its the most expensive bit of music kit I own, I have amps but they just don't get plugged in very often.

Guitars however - my most expensive current guitar is my SE Santana, because I bought it new.

Everything else is under 1k and 2 or 3 cost under $200. My main bass started as an SX bass that ended up costing $70 once I'd sold the amp it came with it for free. I've upgraded pickups, tuners and bridge but its still under owing me $300. Flatwounds probably pushed it over but they're consumables (well a once in a lifetime consumable for a bass).

I have an SX LP thats a shitload of fun too - mainly because EMG's and Stetsbar, will get an afterburner and stutter switch fitted at some stage... that cost me next to nothing to buy too.

In short, you can make pretty much anything work for you, once you rid yourself of the idea that provenance and cost are the deciding factors.

I bought myself a LP for my 40th birthday because Jimmy Page/Peter Green/Gary Moore. When it went I had pangs of regret but it paid for a holiday and I only miss it now because it looked rather splendid :D It played well too but I get as much fun out of everything else hanging on my walls now.

Favourite bass though is the sterling sub stingray, bought new and with dave discount cheap as chips.

ok Ramble on....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Bg wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm
I bought myself a LP for my 40th birthday because Jimmy Page/Peter Green/Gary Moore.
Ahhhh, so you're not 37!! :shock: I was getting suspicious but now you've confirmed it! :lol:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

WellyBlues wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:00 pm
Bg wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm
I bought myself a LP for my 40th birthday because Jimmy Page/Peter Green/Gary Moore.
Ahhhh, so you're not 37!! :shock: I was getting suspicious but now you've confirmed it! :lol:
future echoes.... and it was 20 years ago so that makes me............. 47 :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Maybe I should've called the thread: Would you happily play a really expensive guitar? Definitely seems a preference for workmanlike instruments over bling.

I sold a spendy guitar today. Would've cost around $7,500 new. I never really played it and I doubt it'll ever cross my mind again. Some guitars just don't leave an impression. Just shows that making a guitar measurably excellent guarantees nothing.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

There's a lot to be said about Anticipation being better than reality. It's what drives GAS, and why I still salivate over guitars that play and sound basically the same as what I already have.

The grass is always greener on the other side, and is *even greener* if it's four times as expensive over there.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:10 pm Maybe I should've called the thread: Would you happily play a really expensive guitar? Definitely seems a preference for workmanlike instruments over bling.

I sold a spendy guitar today. Would've cost around $7,500 new. I never really played it and I doubt it'll ever cross my mind again. Some guitars just don't leave an impression. Just shows that making a guitar measurably excellent guarantees nothing.
I would go with inspiration over anything really, if it inspires you then its worth every cent, whether its $7500, $750 or just a hand shandy (going rate of about $75 so I believe) :)

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Bg wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm I do 99.9% of my playing through a helix lt. Its not cheap but its the most expensive bit of music kit I own, I have amps but they just don't get plugged in very often.

In short, you can make pretty much anything work for you, once you rid yourself of the idea that provenance and cost are the deciding factors.

Favourite bass though is the sterling sub stingray, bought new and with dave discount cheap as chips.

ok Ramble on....
The massive increase in QC of “cheap” guitars has changed the game. No longer are we spending more gold because it was a a vastly better instrument, we’re spending it to meet our specific tastes.

As soon as I bought a Helix, I had no use for amps any more, which was good and bad. It’s nice to have a loud analog thing but now I have more control and options than I ever had and it’s all so portable and predictable in different settings.

Buying the Headrush 112 was the missing piece as it gets that kick in the chest stuff going on.

The LT ended up being too much for me even, and the Stomp has been absolutely spot on for my needs.

Those Sterling Subs are damned good. If you can be arsed a pickup that go parallel makes them even better.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah the headrush fills the void and a stereo pair was nice but complete overkill :D

For bass I have many patches and use about 3 :D but for guitaring, its fun to mess around at times :)

Any pickups you recommend? Its a keeper and my goto when the battery isn't flat!

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm The million dollar question is, would you happily play a really cheap amp????
OK I'll play.

IDGAF Rig:
$300 used Aria Classic
$150 used Gibson pickups
$120 used Way Huge green rhino
$150 used Vox/Korg mv50 clean
$200 Radial cab link (to get the full 50w out of the Vox)
$250 beat up Laney quad with V30s

IGAF Rig:
$1500 used Gibson LP or SG
$200 Fulltone fulldrive
$1100 used Mesa 5:50 head (+service by Clarry)
$250 beat up Laney quad with V30s

It's all relative. You could argue that I only play cheap gear.

I'm not just happy I'm fucking stoked playing either one.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I think my pedalboard cost over 3 times my amp :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:01 pm I think my pedalboard cost over 3 times my amp :lol:
My pedal board is about 3 times my amp and about the same of the total value of my guitars... :lol:

I have more pedals and guitar parts i havent included.. :shock:
Last edited by Candeevr4 on Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

My pedal board is in my amp
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

My pedal board IS my amp
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz