Mr Glyn's Sassy P90 Pickups (Demo)

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Mr Glyn's Sassy P90 Pickups (Demo)

Post by Zaulkin »

Hey folks,

I borrowed one of Mr Glyn's guitars again recently - this time it was a Hamer with the 'Sassy' P90 pickups installed. Man this was a fun guitar to play and I couldn't put it down. Mr Glyn has turned this thing into such a great guitar and the pickups are the icing on the cake. They are slightly different to the Black Sand P90s btw if anyone is wondering.

Neck pickup: Lovely. Full sounding. Does the bluesy thing as well (I found winding back the volume on a gained up channel helped).
Bridge: Crunchy and snarly. Tickle it for less, hit it hard and you get a winning crunch sound. Wicked for classic rock.

I played this guitar through a single channel amp and never felt myself wanting more or less of anything - I'm a convert. Love your work Mr Glyn.

Demo: Swing us a like or a comment if you like what you hear.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Mr Glyn's Sassy P90 Pickups (Demo)

Post by slash-ed »

Nik what was your recording setup for this clip?

Also damn man your beard is like 150 times bigger than the last time I saw you :lol:

I subscribed to your channel :thumbup:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

slash-ed wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:16 pm Nik what was your recording setup for this clip?

Also damn man your beard is like 150 times bigger than the last time I saw you :lol:

Wahoo, thanks man! Yes the beard has become a feature for sure - I am mostly beard now.

My recording setup was my Victory RK50 amp > DR Z Best cab mic'd with an SM58 (my only mic) going through a 2 input Presonus Audiobox 96 interface. Added a tiny bit of the camera audio and used a cheapo Lapelle mic for my voice. Still figuring out my setup and what works for recording so I may have to look at proper mics in future.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Zaulkin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Enjoyed that. Subscribed :-)

I wonder if he does unpotted P90s. I once asked Bare Knuckle to do that but they said they can't because P90s are too prone to becoming harmonic.

Just on the recording / video itself. I'd love to come up with something of this standard. :thumbup: Today I was enjoying my Carr Mercury so much I thought I should make quick video. Cycled a couple of guitars through it, all the time thinking how epic it was sounding. Then I played back my phone video and, maybe unsurprisingly, it looked crap and didn't sound nearly as good on my phone as it did in the room.

Edit: Did I sell you that RK50? Forgot I used to have one of those. Sounded great. I think the Z-Best was mine too.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Molly wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:00 pm
Zaulkin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Enjoyed that. Subscribed :-)

I wonder if he does unpotted P90s. I once asked Bare Knuckle to do that but they said they can't because P90s are too prone to becoming harmonic.

Just on the recording / video itself. I'd love to come up with something of this standard. :thumbup: Today I was enjoying my Carr Mercury so much I thought I should make quick video. Cycled a couple of guitars through it, all the time thinking how epic it was sounding. Then I played back my phone video and, maybe unsurprisingly, it looked crap and didn't sound nearly as good on my phone as it did in the room.

Edit: Did I sell you that RK50? Forgot I used to have one of those. Sounded great. I think the Z-Best was mine too.
Cheers man! I still have the RK50 - got it off the tard. Absolutely love it. The Z best is your old one I think.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Zaulkin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:09 pm

Cheers man! I still have the RK50 - got it off the tard. Absolutely love it. The Z best is your old one I think.
Sold it on the Tard so likely mine. :thumbup:

Great amp. What was I thinking...? :headslap:

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Molly wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:13 pm

I remember you saying it was a great grab'n'go amp... except for the trem, I think? Too square or some such...

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

codedog wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 pm
Molly wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:13 pm

I remember you saying it was a great grab'n'go amp... except for the trem, I think? Too square or some such...
I like the trem at a really subtle setting. Good fun.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Zaulkin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:36 pm
slash-ed wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:16 pm Nik what was your recording setup for this clip?

Wahoo, thanks man! Yes the beard has become a feature for sure - I am mostly beard now.

My recording setup was my Victory RK50 amp > DR Z Best cab mic'd with an SM58 (my only mic) going through a 2 input Presonus Audiobox 96 interface. Added a tiny bit of the camera audio and used a cheapo Lapelle mic for my voice. Still figuring out my setup and what works for recording so I may have to look at proper mics in future.
Ah that makes a lot of sense. I was surprised to hear room sound (which I guess is from the camera), and to be honest, if I didn't know you and know you were a great player I might have turned off the video once I heard the raw sound of the strings. That can potentially be taken by someone as you not having proper quality recording gear (even though you do).

If you're tied to the RK50, might be an idea to invest in a load box and IRs, since that will be repeatable every time (which is the way I went after going through this exact same journey myself).

And even on the note of the RK, it's a super cool amp but kind of an unknown quantity compared to something standard and ubiquitous like a Fender or Marshall or a BOSS Katana (yes, I think enough people have them now around world that it's a valid statement!) that people might use as their own tonal benchmark.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

slash-ed wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:01 pm
Zaulkin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:36 pm

Ah that makes a lot of sense. I was surprised to hear room sound (which I guess is from the camera), and to be honest, if I didn't know you and know you were a great player I might have turned off the video once I heard the raw sound of the strings. That can potentially be taken by someone as you not having proper quality recording gear (even though you do).

If you're tied to the RK50, might be an idea to invest in a load box and IRs, since that will be repeatable every time (which is the way I went after going through this exact same journey myself).

And even on the note of the RK, it's a super cool amp but kind of an unknown quantity compared to something standard and ubiquitous like a Fender or Marshall or a BOSS Katana (yes, I think enough people have them now around world that it's a valid statement!) that people might use as their own tonal benchmark.
All good points. Yeah, in future I am going to try using my fractal I think. I definitely agree that a Katana is a good option too now given how common (and awesome) they are.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice Nik!! I wonder how these compare to the black sand p90 I have!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MrGlyn
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by MrGlyn »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:00 pm Nice Nik!! I wonder how these compare to the black sand p90 I have!
Hi Jeremy, same magnets, different winds.
I think Brett Kingman’s Black Sand demo and Nik’s Sassy demo sum them up nicely and illustrate the difference way better than me trying to describe it.
A demo speaks a thousand words eh.
Some demos leave me wondering about amps and recording etc. but those 2 are how those pickups sound in all the situations I’ve tried them.
It’s quite a skill figuring out the character of a sound and showing that off.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ug1gNIYts&t=9s[/youtube]