NGD (more or less) D18!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

NGD (more or less) D18!

Post by telefiend »

After some great service from Ady at the Guitar Gallery, and via a setup by Rob Matthews, I've ended up with what really should be all the guitar I'm ever going to need :D

20210704_145413.jpg
20210704_145413.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 2633 times

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: NGD (more or less) D18!

Post by MrDINO »

Looks good.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Oh Yesss!
Happy Awesome New Guitar Day!
Couple of years ago, I went looking for a D18GE. What I ended up with was a Taylor and a Lowden.

Not saying that's a bad segue, but I still don't have a D18.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

Slowy wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:15 pm Oh Yesss!
Couple of years ago, I went looking for a D18GE. What I ended up with was a Taylor and a Lowden.

Haha, not a bad outcome really. What's the Taylor?

D18s have always seemed liked the be all of acoustics to me, but it's only recently that I could seriously entertain buying one. Very glad I have :)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

telefiend wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:33 pm

D18s have always seemed liked the be all of acoustics to me, but it's only recently that I could seriously entertain buying one. Very glad I have :)
Taylor is a GS7e.
Cedar/Rosewood. Shaped like a Gibson SJ200 but a bit smaller and thinner. Onboard electrics. It's the most versatile acoustic I have ever met. Sweet and slightly compressed, it has been described as sounding like it's already been recorded and mixed. Happy to be plugged into anything; acoustic or electric amps, doesn't much care.
I think of it like one's favourite dog; always willing to please and happy to do whatever is asked of it.

Got it from Oleg who told me it would become my main acoustic, then waited patiently for a couple of months while I figured that out for myself. :rofl:

But it's not a D18..........
Taylor GS7.jpeg
Taylor GS7.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2487 times
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

Slowy wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:21 pm
telefiend wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:33 pm

Taylor is a GS7e.
Cedar/Rosewood. Shaped like a Gibson SJ200 but a bit smaller and thinner. Onboard electrics. It's the most versatile acoustic I have ever met. Sweet and slightly compressed, it has been described as sounding like it's already been recorded and mixed. Happy to be plugged into anything; acoustic or electric amps, doesn't much care.
I think of it like one's favourite dog; always willing to please and happy to do whatever is asked of it.

Got it from Oleg who told me it would become my main acoustic, then waited patiently for a couple of months while I figured that out for myself. :rofl:

But it's not a D18..........
Oh very nice! Great body shape. Can imagine the cedar helping out with that sort of tone.

Sounds like you could have space for a less versatile acoustic though :wink:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

telefiend wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:00 pm
Oh very nice! Great body shape. Can imagine the cedar helping out with that sort of tone.

Sounds like you could have space for a less versatile acoustic though :wink:
The second guitar I bought as a kid (14) was a Brazilian Rosewood D28. I learned to play on that thing and it informs my playing style to this day. I don't really need anything other than the Taylor and the Lowden but there's something about Dreadnought Martins; any self respecting acoustic connoisseur should have at least one. :D

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

There's just something about a dreadnought Martin. Nothing else scratches that itch.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.