Gibson Mahogany

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Sleep
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Gibson Mahogany

Post by Sleep »

Can anyone enlighten me at all regarding Gibsons mahogany.. What species? Where is it sourced?

Do they truly use different grades for different series of product lines or is it all marketing blah?

Apparently a lot of young growth mahogany and wood is being used in the industry.

Keen on a new Les Paul,.. should I just grab a 70/80s "good-wood" era Les Paul... (Or is this an old wives tale).

Can of worms opened up.. 😊

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Re: Gibson Mahogany

Post by GrantB »

Hmm...lots of money buy 50's, then 60's, then 90's, then early 2000's, then 80's then 70's...in that order.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

I'm boring I know, but how about playing a bunch and buying the one you like most?

Put another way, nobody else cares about your wood. :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Swietenia macrophylla usually. It's a species of mahogany that grows in South America and typically sourced from Honduras.

There's numerous plantations of the stuff in Fiji too that were planted by the British in the 40s and 50s. There's a suppler of it in Auckland somewhere who sells fantastic stuff.

There are other species of swietenia too, the timber of which is called mahogany: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swietenia

The stuff like kyaha, sapele, aren't real mahoganies (botanically) but since they similar colour, grain, weight, density etc they get called 'African mahogany' or what have you.

Sleep
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Sleep »

Cheers for your help.
It's a sobering read and a shame to see its classified as vulnerable conservation status.
With the way the world is, don't think I'll ever buy a new guitar again.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Generally they always used Swietenia macrophylla ie so called "genuine mahogany", but they switched supply from South America to Fiji cicra 2008 IIRC. The Fijian stuff are still good though.

They do use different grades for different lines. R9's without weight relief are often lighter than Traditional's with 9-hole relief.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:34 pm I'm boring I know, but how about playing a bunch and buying the one you like most?

Put another way, nobody else cares about your wood. :rofl:
This is of course the correct answer. If it sounds good and plays good, it is good (I'm on repeat I know)...I have a '73 Les Paul Custom which, through my /13 BTR23 is so killer, I can't imagine letting it go ever. And it is entirely mahogany...so sign of maple in any part of it! And it's light. Go figure.

But buy 50's.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Sleep wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:55 pm Cheers for your help.
It's a sobering read and a shame to see its classified as vulnerable conservation status.
The great thing is, you don't have to. There are more guitars in existence than we can ever aspire to fully utilise as a world population, at least based on recent extrapolations showing we as a species, are in decline.

Are we all having fun?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Sleep wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:55 pm
I won't, because I'm unlikely to live long enough to play it in. But some of the finest guitars ever made are being made right now. They don't use traditional woods but that just means work has been put into learning what else works and what its character is. And there's plenty of great wood out there.

Historical artefacts and musical tools are two different things that get constantly confused in people's minds.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:26 pm ..........recent extrapolations showing we as a species, are in decline.
Data please.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:11 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:26 pm ..........recent extrapolations showing we as a species, are in decline.
Data please.
We’re at 1% growth right now...and the decline ain’t slowing .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_decline

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 460 times

Post by werdna »

I can't understand the hand wringing by economists over population decline. We're down to our last 8 billion ...
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

werdna wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:47 pm I can't understand the hand wringing by economists over population decline. We're down to our last 8 billion ...
I’d like to respond but with respect to the original post, I think that’s a different topic, despite my introduction of the theme.

Is is the old idea of “everything matters and nothing matters”.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 460 times

Post by werdna »

I thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

In contrast, the Gibson mahogany question has been gone over many times. It always lands with true generalisations countered by someone saying every guitar is different.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

werdna wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:57 pm I thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

In contrast, the Gibson mahogany question has been gone over many times. It always lands with true generalisations countered by someone saying every guitar is different.
Good summary. Just let me add you might not want to be holding Ryman shares in 15 years time.