Murphy Lab LPs

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

goldtop0
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Murphy Lab LPs

Post by goldtop0 »

Played the last one of these '59s that's at the Rockshop here in Auckland.
Lightweight and a good looking Teaburst with light aging, like the unpotted Custombuckers.
If you've got the dollars to spend at $13.5k go for it.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Re: Murphy Lab LPs

Post by Voxshall »

I didn't like the sound of that light weight Teaburst a bit thin sounding for me, I loved the sound of the darker burst one they had but it wasn't as light weight and it wasn't my fav color, one day I'll find one that has it all but I think I might have a list of to many boxes that need to be ticked.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

I'm waiting on a really lightly-aged R4 or R7. Interested to see how their special lacquer formulation ages compares to non-Murphy Lab instruments.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

robthemac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:36 pm I'm waiting on a really lightly-aged R4 or R7. Interested to see how their special lacquer formulation ages compares to non-Murphy Lab instruments.

I've got two '13s a cherry sunburst R8 and a R6....... in the last 8 years the R8 has a very slight lightening of the colour around the upper bout to a sort of tangerine with the R6 still a rich honey/gold with no cracking or crazing at all.........they're played a lot.
These Lab ones look the part of course and the tobacco sunburst one that Voxshall mentions(now sold) having the look of a very very old instrument indeed and almost too old in my opinion..........like an 18th century violin.........I've never seen any vintage LPs looking like that one.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Voxshall wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:29 pm I didn't like the sound of that light weight Teaburst a bit thin sounding for me,
Did it sound kind of like this one?

I kind of like that. I find a lot of Les Pauls sound a bit dark to me. Kind of indistinct. Think that's why I prefer the narrower pickups of the Deluxe.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

goldtop0 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm Played the last one of these '59s that's at the Rockshop here in Auckland.
Lightweight and a good looking Teaburst with light aging, like the unpotted Custombuckers.
Wouldn't you think Rockshop would have some better pictures on their website?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

goldtop0 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:01 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:36 pm I'm waiting on a really lightly-aged R4 or R7. Interested to see how their special lacquer formulation ages compares to non-Murphy Lab instruments.

I've got two '13s a cherry sunburst R8 and a R6....... in the last 8 years the R8 has a very slight lightening of the colour around the upper bout to a sort of tangerine with the R6 still a rich honey/gold with no cracking or crazing at all.........they're played a lot.
These Lab ones look the part of course and the tobacco sunburst one that Voxshall mentions(now sold) having the look of a very very old instrument indeed and almost too old in my opinion..........like an 18th century violin.........I've never seen any vintage LPs looking like that one.
Apparently Murphy Lab have worked with a supplier to source a more brittle nitro formulation than they've used previously.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

robthemac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:21 pm

Apparently Murphy Lab have worked with a supplier to source a more brittle nitro formulation than they've used previously.
That'd be cool provided it still adhered to the wood properly. I had a MJT nitro body that was prone to flaking.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Molly wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:21 pm

That'd be cool provided it still adhered to the wood properly. I had a MJT nitro body that was prone to flaking.
I suspect that they're using softer colour coats and a brittle gloss coat. Obviously they'll melt into each other to an extent, but might prevent flaking.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Molly wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:18 pm
goldtop0 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm Played the last one of these '59s that's at the Rockshop here in Auckland.
Wouldn't you think Rockshop would have some better pictures on their website?

They haven't updated to a modern day site..........it'd be a good thing for sure but ain't gonna happen any time soon I don't think.
Plus they have a good number of 2nd hand higher priced gats that they don't put on there.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

goldtop0 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Plus they have a good number of 2nd hand higher priced gats that they don't put on there.
Didn't know that. Probably not in Christchurch though. There never seems to be much more than bread and butter guitars there.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Molly wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:43 pm
Didn't know that. Probably not in Christchurch though. There never seems to be much more than bread and butter guitars there.
Always worth asking what they have. There's a bunch of tasty things hiding in back rooms that aren't on the website but are for sale.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

This is interesting.

I played the two light aged Murphy LP's a few weeks back. Acoustically only. FWIW: I thought neither had quite enough of that acoustic midrange honk a really good one should have. The necks are also getting thinner - which is a taste thing. The Bloomfield on the wall is kind of the same - too heavy and "ringy". YMMV and all that

What genuinely surprises me is the demand at that price level!

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

There's a chap here in Auckland who over the years has imported a ton of exotic Strats, LPs, Amps and other gooey brands of same from the USA(Trussarts etc) for his own pleasure/use. About 2 years ago he sold some his collection to the Akld Rockshop some of which is still on the walls.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

goldtop0 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:22 pm

There's a chap here in Auckland who over the years has imported a ton of exotic Strats, LPs, Amps and other gooey brands of same from the USA(Trussarts etc) for his own pleasure/use. About 2 years ago he sold some his collection to the Akld Rockshop some of which is still on the walls.
I recall seeing some of that. All top-end gear.