Murphy Lab LPs

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: Murphy Lab LPs

Post by Conway »

Molly wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:30 pm
goldtop0 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:22 pm
Molly wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:43 pm

Didn't know that. Probably not in Christchurch though. There never seems to be much more than bread and butter guitars there.

There's a chap here in Auckland who over the years has imported a ton of exotic Strats, LPs, Amps and other gooey brands of same from the USA(Trussarts etc) for his own pleasure/use. About 2 years ago he sold some his collection to the Akld Rockshop some of which is still on the walls.
I recall seeing some of that. All top-end gear.
Yep, he sold about 90 guitars to RS including most of his Les Pauls, and since then he's been buying Custom Shop Strats and Teles!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Conway wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Molly wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:30 pm

There's a chap here in Auckland who over the years has imported a ton of exotic Strats, LPs, Amps and other gooey brands of same from the USA(Trussarts etc) for his own pleasure/use. About 2 years ago he sold some his collection to the Akld Rockshop some of which is still on the walls.
I recall seeing some of that. All top-end gear.
Yep, he sold about 90 guitars including most of his Les Pauls, and since then he's been buying Custom Shop Strats and Teles!
Ch'ching! ;-)

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 296 times

Post by murky »

goldtop0 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Plus they have a good number of 2nd hand higher priced gats that they don't put on there.
Didn't know that. Probably not in Christchurch though. There never seems to be much more than bread and butter guitars there.

There were some excellent guitars in that collection!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

murky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:41 pm

There were some excellent guitars in that collection!
I bought one of them and since sold it to Jamie. Was a real sweetheart, but I just didn't gel with the neck.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

goldtop0 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Plus they have a good number of 2nd hand higher priced gats that they don't put on there.

47445DE1-CDF1-4A11-9CEB-07108A1945D9.jpeg
47445DE1-CDF1-4A11-9CEB-07108A1945D9.jpeg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 1847 times
Did u happen to see my old Trussart hanging on the wall?

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

murky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 pm This is interesting.

I played the two light aged Murphy LP's a few weeks back. Acoustically only. FWIW: I thought neither had quite enough of that acoustic midrange honk a really good one should have. The necks are also getting thinner - which is a taste thing. The Bloomfield on the wall is kind of the same - too heavy and "ringy". YMMV and all that

What genuinely surprises me is the demand at that price level!

They're the latest on the block from Gibson, and with the new owner/CEO they wouldn't be making them without checking the market beforehand, which in the past(prior to 2018) was sometimes not the case.
Older guys like me who have the discretionary dollars can buy stuff like this if they want........ and that's the market.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

goldtop0 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm
murky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 pm This is interesting.

I played the two light aged Murphy LP's a few weeks back. Acoustically only. FWIW: I thought neither had quite enough of that acoustic midrange honk a really good one should have. The necks are also getting thinner - which is a taste thing. The Bloomfield on the wall is kind of the same - too heavy and "ringy". YMMV and all that

What genuinely surprises me is the demand at that price level!

They're the latest on the block from Gibson, and with the new owner/CEO they wouldn't be making them without checking the market beforehand, which in the past(prior to 2018) was sometimes not the case.
Older guys like me who have the discretionary dollars can buy stuff like this if they want...it'd be an emotional buy..... and that's the market.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

5B3B934D-4190-4645-9093-6AEA5ADFF0AD.jpeg
5B3B934D-4190-4645-9093-6AEA5ADFF0AD.jpeg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 1782 times
So I found the pic that I took of my old Trussart hanging on the wall of K Road RockShop going for double the price I sold it for. Go figure :mrgreen:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

KNNZ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:22 pm

So I found the pic that I took of my old Trussart hanging on the wall of K Road RockShop going for double the price I sold it for.

Going... but not gone.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Molly wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:16 pm
Voxshall wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:29 pm I didn't like the sound of that light weight Teaburst a bit thin sounding for me,
Did it sound kind of like this one?

I kind of like that. I find a lot of Les Pauls sound a bit dark to me. Kind of indistinct. Think that's why I prefer the narrower pickups of the Deluxe.
I wish it sounded like that, I love the Tele on steroids and also like LP's that aren't to dark, it was more thin in the bass or lower midrange compared to the other one.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

When I hear that Pete video, two things strike me....right wood & pickups.

If these Murphy lab guitars are using stock Gibson wood, and current XXbuckers, then...well, they're not going to sound like this. The Murphy thing is about aesthetics. That's about it.

For my 15K, I would grab a beat up 50's Junior and with the change, maybe take a punt on one of those '64 SG RI's from 2019/20.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I can't believe people are still falling for all this shit and paying all that money.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

There's a lot of money out there, unfortunately it's in the wrong (i.e. not mine) hands.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I did see one on the LP forum that looked amazing. Still, would rather have smelly guitars.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I guess someone has to pay for the new Gibson Garage ;-)
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...