Murphy Lab LPs

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Murphy Lab LPs

Post by GrantB »

kdawg2a wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm
Molly wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:59 am
kdawg2a wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:57 am

Nashville is a four hour drive from where I am. Tennessee is doing it good right now. They've ignored the current world mindset and are prospering for it.If we sold our Christchurch dumphole and bought a place there twice as big with the leftover money, we'd be mortgage free and have a nice chunk of change. Yes, we're thinking about it!
Christ, really! Now so am I...
Yeah bro, it's unreal here. For what it's worth too, as far as our image of how good we have it in NZ, the gov here gives us $150 US a week for groceries (it was more under the T man, but what do you do?) and as it stands in our current situation, our health care is free.
We're very seriously thinking of making this permanent.
Normal thread derail - so, what have I missed....why are you in the USA? And healthcare free? Does that mean you have a deal with an employer or something? So many questions!!!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

GrantB wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:37 pm
Molly wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:59 am

Christ, really! Now so am I...
Yeah bro, it's unreal here. For what it's worth too, as far as our image of how good we have it in NZ, the gov here gives us $150 US a week for groceries (it was more under the T man, but what do you do?) and as it stands in our current situation, our health care is free.
Normal thread derail - so, what have I missed....why are you in the USA? And healthcare free? Does that mean you have a deal with an employer or something? So many questions!!!
My wifes American and my kids are dual citz. I get to stay because of that. Because we are 'low income', this stuff is free much like NZ. If we decide to stay permanently and earn over $30k US a year it'll change.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

kdawg2a wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:44 pm

My wifes American and my kids are dual citz. I get to stay because of that. Because we are 'low income', this stuff is free much like NZ. If we decide to stay permanently and earn over $30k US a year it'll change.
Sorry for my nosying!!! But interesting stuff! If I get there for a show in the next two years I’ll drop you a line prior...be good to meet maybe? I’m hoping the arrse drops out of vintage guitar prices there once everyone sees these Murphy’s :shifty:
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

GrantB wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:52 pm
kdawg2a wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:44 pm

Sorry for my nosying!!! But interesting stuff! If I get there for a show in the next two years I’ll drop you a line prior...be good to meet maybe? I’m hoping the arrse drops out of vintage guitar prices there once everyone sees these Murphy’s :shifty:
For sure! We may also just be back in Christchurch once the madness dies down.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Good for you. Life's an adventure (or should be) so why not? Nowhere is perfect so I guess you just have to find that balance of things you like and those you don't but can live with.

My daughter and, increasingly, my Mrs want to shift back to the Isle of Man. It's possible that in a new country it's hard to find the depth of friendships you have with those you grew up with. I think that's part of it. I dunno. I've a pretty pedestrian life here. If it wasn't for work or the bike I'd have little reason to leave the house. Feck. A year in the US would be a boost, eh!?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

Molly wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:13 pm
Good for you. Life's an adventure (or should be) so why not? Nowhere is perfect so I guess you just have to find that balance of things you like and those you don't but can live with.

My daughter and, increasingly, my Mrs want to shift back to the Isle of Man. It's possible that in a new country it's hard to find the depth of friendships you have with those you grew up with. I think that's part of it. I dunno. I've a pretty pedestrian life here. If it wasn't for work or the bike I'd have little reason to leave the house. Feck. A year in the US would be a boost, eh!?
For sure. We'd be doing this mostly for the kids, as in, they're thriving, travel is the best lesson in life you'll ever learn, the lifestyle here is cheap and really good and I've always travelled and it's a love I see my kids agreeing with.
I love NZ and as a natural born Aucklander, that used to live on the shore of lake Rotoiti, worked in Napier, Taupo and Wellington, spent his recreational hours in the mountains and snow, spent many winter seasons living in the alpine wonders of Otago and Canterbury and moved to Christchuch to have a family, NZeds landscapes are always my own.
I've lived in NZ (obviously!) England, France, Canada and the U.S. I've visited many countries more.
We'll see what happens. As it stands, it's good here so it'll do for now.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

kdawg2a wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:35 pm

For sure. We'd be doing this mostly for the kids, as in, they're thriving, travel is the best lesson in life you'll ever learn, the lifestyle here is cheap and really good and I've always travelled and it's a love I see my kids agreeing with.
I love NZ and as a natural born Aucklander, that used to live on the shore of lake Rotoiti, worked in Napier, Taupo and Wellington, spent his recreational hours in the mountains and snow, spent many winter seasons living in the alpine wonders of Otago and Canterbury and moved to Christchuch to have a family, NZeds landscapes are always my own.
I've lived in NZ (obviously!) England, France, Canada and the U.S. I've visited many countries more.
We'll see what happens. As it stands, it's good here so it'll do for now.
I'm starting to not like you, better stop posting how much you're enjoying it!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Yeah, looking at the amount of house you can get in the USA for the price compared to here, I can see that side of the attraction. Plus range of goods available to you, concerts and festivals (normally) etc, there's probably a lot to be said for living there. Not sure I'd be so keen on the active shooter drills for the kids though.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

hamo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:02 pm

Yeah, looking at the amount of house you can get in the USA for the price compared to here, I can see that side of the attraction. Plus range of goods available to you, concerts and festivals (normally) etc, there's probably a lot to be said for living there. Not sure I'd be so keen on the active shooter drills for the kids though.
Don't beleive all the stories you're told! Especially from the terrible excuse for media we have in NZ!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

hamo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:02 pm

We have those drills. There's a special 'lockdown' signal for when there's a threat / intruder.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

FWIW, the vast, endless expanse of the U.S is infinately different to California and New York state. It's best to think of this place as 50 seperate countries than I big monster.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

I've been watching videos on YouTube of a guy based in Utah, which seems nice. Had a mate that lived in Kansas, massive music fan and he loved it. I wouldn't mind spending more time in Hawaii, just sayin. :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

kdawg2a wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:26 pm FWIW, the vast, endless expanse of the U.S is infinately different to California and New York state. It's best to think of this place as 50 seperate countries than I big monster.
I suspect you could largely choose your climate (political included) and culture.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

kdawg2a wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:26 pm FWIW, the vast, endless expanse of the U.S is infinately different to California and New York state. It's best to think of this place as 50 seperate countries than I big monster.
You'd find work easily there too eh? Spousal green card takes a fair while to go thru tho' doesn't it?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

jeremyb wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:13 pm
You'd find work easily there too eh? Spousal green card takes a fair while to go thru tho' doesn't it?
I have had so many job offers here just based on word of mouth. Plenty of work especially in my my trade. The old ways of married = greencard don't apply so much anymore. The partnership for 14 years with an american citizen and american passported kids situation makes it much faster.