Murphy Lab LPs

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Murphy Lab LPs

Post by Jay »

Factory worker to Gibson accountant: "we can save a few cents if we make the pickguard smaller".
Accountant: "great, no one will notice, our clones are only 83.5% correct anyways".
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Jay wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:45 pm Factory worker to Gibson accountant: "we can save a few cents if we make the pickguard smaller".
Accountant: "great, no one will notice, our clones are only 83.5% correct anyways".
It doesn't look smaller to me though? Anyway, I'm sure the simplest answer is correct. It won't be a different neck join or something like that so, yes, maybe it's just the guard.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Molly wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:07 pm
goldtop0 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:52 pm
Danger Mouse wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am I did chuckle at the comment about the '59 and' 60 guitars being dead men walking, which is why there's only 3000 sunbursts left out of the 1500 originally made.

There's a lot of fairy dust and old housewives tales about the old vintage guitars......some of this is understandable but some maybe not.........the fact being that these instruments were the first and the rule of thumb for all future guitars...... and so it goes. However in this day and age there are plenty of very good guitars(Gibsons) that fit the bill of the vintage ones tonewise........the truth is out there.
Not exactly the same thing but though I've been around guitars for 40+ years, today I picked up an Indonesian version of a thru-neck Kramer Stagemaster Custom I once owned and had to ask myself: Why isn't this every bit as good as the USA one I used to own? The weight was OK, the finish was flawless, it looked just fine. But it was only about $1,800 new so must've been shit, right?

I don't think it matters what guitar you want and why you want it but all the rational things that make up a guitar do sometimes piss on the romantic, reflected glory of spendy US guitars. I guess it comes back to what things are and what things mean. It's easy to confuse the two.

This is an interesting vid about a line of budget pedals Bob Weil made that sounded great, but failed commercially. At about 18.55 there's a section from Bob on what he would have done differently, but it's essentially the same concept. You sell something cheap, people assume it is rubbish.

My mum, many years ago, set up a public speaking course (think toastmasters kind of thing), which she used to give to middle management in the NHS in the UK. At first she priced it at what she thought was a reasonable day rate for herself, which was very cheap compared to other training organisations, but she struggled to get any bookings. She was advised the same principle, quadrupled the course fee and was suddenly booked up for months in advance, for the same course.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Molly wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:31 pm Here's something that seems to vary a lot between Les Pauls but I don't understand why.

LP1.JPG LP2.JPG
24th fret?

I'll get my coat :lol:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

GrantB wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:14 pm Note the incorrect top carve, especially by the switch? Seriously, if any of their models should be vintage correct it would be these. But nah. Cheaper to whack them through the same CNC.
It's mental that they've ignored this. They obviously have the ability as they managed a decent dish on the R4 Oxbloods, but that was an attempt at reproducing a particular guitar. Perhaps the hand made nature of the original examples is throwing them and they can't decide which one to replicate ( joking ).
Back when 50's goldtops were a more common beast it was always a joy to stumble on one with a skate park like carve in the top but of course not every one had it...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

It beats me. You'd think they'd scan a nice example and the CNC machine would just get on with it.