Telecaster mod suggestions?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Re: Telecaster mod suggestions?

Post by Bg »

You're not really thinking of routing the bout are you??? I have a belt sander here and a decent rasp. Oh even better, I have some carving disks for my angle grinder, makes short work of it!

Also, can bypass your tone on the neck control, pretty quick fix for the price of a kilkenny.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 843 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

jeremyb wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:53 pm I'd keep it stock, flick it on and get yourself a HSS strat :)
haha! no!

And why an HSS strat? What in all I posted makes people think I want a humbucker, a middle pickup, or more switching options for me to not use because I'm still going to knock the switch on a strat?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Reverse the control plate (and swap the pots over) and learn to love the neck pickup. Stand up and you won't need the forearm relief.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Bg wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:30 pm You're not really thinking of routing the bout are you??? I have a belt sander here and a decent rasp. Oh even better, I have some carving disks for my angle grinder, makes short work of it!

Also, can bypass your tone on the neck control, pretty quick fix for the price of a kilkenny.
definitely wont be taking a router to it... maybe a replacement body with a contour in the distant future, but just tyre kicking ideas for now.

Might take you up on the soldering job though if I go that way! Cheers!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

jimi wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:50 pm
Bg wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:30 pm You're not really thinking of routing the bout are you??? I have a belt sander here and a decent rasp. Oh even better, I have some carving disks for my angle grinder, makes short work of it!

definitely wont be taking a router to it... maybe a replacement body with a contour in the distant future, but just tyre kicking ideas for now.

Might take you up on the soldering job though if I go that way! Cheers!
Give it a fair few hours play before making too many decisions! I was not a Tele fan for the first ten years of playing guitar. Weird ergonomics, controls in the wrong place, didn't dig the tone, etc. I fell in love with one (now in Voxshall's clutches), spent months playing it and now I am seriously considering replacing most of my guitars with a fleet of Teles. I've adapted my playing to suit them, and none of the stuff above bothers me.

But YMMV and all that.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I'm surprised you want to carve it with you coming from an LP background anyway ;) Nothing in a tele that isn't in a LP, hard edge wise.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:15 pm Cut the body contours, no point in being uncomfortable.
Add a middle pickup and 5-way switch, you can always use more options.
Get a headstock with a bit more meat on it, it will help with sustain.
Add a trem, a bit of wobble is nice.
Extend the upper bout a little, it helps with the balance.
Move the jack socket to the side, it is easier to see what you are doing with the plug.
Add a third pot to give you more tone options.

Perfect Tele. :wave:

I'm trying to work out if this is a banning offence.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

I regularly knock the switch on my Teles. Just get good at flicking it back.
Neck pickup: I have 2 that are very satisfying. A Lollar Special T and a Twisted Tele. You're welcome to come round and see if they work for you.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Might take you up on that at some point! Cheers.

Quite tempted by the Black sand / Cruel Mistress combo. I see that guitar shop with My Glyn's demo guitars has moved about 5mins from work, so thats going to blamed for a few long lunch breaks.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:47 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:15 pm Cut the body contours, no point in being uncomfortable.
Move the jack socket to the side, it is easier to see what you are doing with the plug.

I'm trying to work out if this is a banning offence.
It’s a fair cop

I’ll post a picture of my Tele in the Show Us Your Tele thread as penance.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Oh, and the tiniest dot of superglue on the switch tip, it will stay put, but you will still be able to pry it off when you need to
Well I never, there is such a thing :shock:
fender-strat-tele-hybrid-parallel-univ-burst-2018-ss-full-front.jpg-nggid0524521-ngg0dyn-845x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg
fender-strat-tele-hybrid-parallel-univ-burst-2018-ss-full-front.jpg-nggid0524521-ngg0dyn-845x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg (152.37 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:18 am

Oh, and the tiniest dot of superglue on the switch tip, it will stay put, but you will still be able to pry it off when you need to
Well I never, there is such a thing :shock:

fender-strat-tele-hybrid-parallel-univ-burst-2018-ss-full-front.jpg-nggid0524521-ngg0dyn-845x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:18 am Well I never, there is such a thing :shock:

Thats just a mutant Strat. I don't see much Tele DNA in there. Like just a great grandparent or something.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

My old Thinline didn't have the traditional control plate. The 3-way angled blade switch swapped out for 3 way LP style toggle - waaaaay better.
Forget the tone knobs, and just have two volume knobs instead. Make sure one is a coil-tap so you could add a bridge humbucker in single-coil size if you want to get that LP chunk back, but retain the tele sounds - the SD Lil '59 will achieve this with a lot of dynamics. Change the neck pickup for a strat bridge pickup to match output, and you're away.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Flipping the control plate around is such an easy (and excellent) mod. If BG can wire it so that the tone pot only affects the bridge pickup, it sounds like 2/3 of your problems are solved!