String catching on 5'th fret inlay

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

String catching on 5'th fret inlay

Post by vyfster »

Need advice. On Thursday I was noodling on my guitar. When doing 1/4 note bends on the B string at the 5'th fret it started catching on the inlay, just briefly, before slipping over. It felt like it was a bit sticky. I'm not sure if it was the string that was catching or if it was the tip of my finger catching on the inlay. The inlay is slightly raised, probably by about the thickness of a finger nail, above the fretboard. I've never noticed this before and it doesn't always catch but can feel a bit "sticky" depending on which finger I used when bending. I can feel the raised edge when running my nail across the fretboard and inlay and can feel it when fretting at the 5'th fret on the B string.

I've had the guitar, from new, for ~18 months now and for all the Gibson haters out there - yes it's a Gibson LP. Their new Standards were supposed to be a better build quality! Clearly not!

Can weather have had something to do with the inlay "popping up" or is this likely something that was always there that I never noticed? I do noodle (unplugged) practically every night (much to the annoyance of the family I'm sure). So I'm certain I would've noticed this before if it was an issue. It doesn't always catch but if this is new then what's to say it doesn't get worse over time?

What are my options? Wanted to get a feeling from the guru's in the forum before talking to the store where I bought the guitar from - if that is even an option.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: String catching on 5'th fret inlay

Post by jeremyb »

I'd take it back, you could try sand it down yourself but....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I've had frets sprout depending on weather but never inlays. If you press it does it go back in a bit?

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton

Post by vyfster »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:45 pm I'd take it back, you could try sand it down yourself but....
But that's probably because you don't like Gibsons! :P

I'm certainly not going to try fixing it myself. If it was an el cheapo then I wouldn't give it a second thought and try my hand at it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

vyfster wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:37 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:45 pm I'd take it back, you could try sand it down yourself but....
But that's probably because you don't like Gibsons! :P

I'm certainly not going to try fixing it myself. If it was an el cheapo then I wouldn't give it a second thought and try my hand at it.
Well to be fair the Les Paul is just the love child of a telecaster and a boat anchor, but plenty of decent songs have been written on them so one can't hate on them too much....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton

Post by vyfster »

Molly wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:40 pm I've had frets sprout depending on weather but never inlays. If you press it does it go back in a bit?
It's not loose. I've tried pushing down on it but it still raised. I haven't applied a huge amount of pressure on it though. I'm somewhat perplexed though because the "stickiness" is hardly there now as compared to Thursday when I first noticed it but it is still there - but is that because I'm now aware of it?

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Is this a humidity issue causing the wood to swell and the inlay to pop up ?