Quick string review acoustic.

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Quick string review acoustic.

Post by Rog »

Since I have a munted fretting hand, string selection is rather important to me. For me, easy playing wins the day. I also do not like trebly/twangy strings, which is why I only use flats on my electrics. With my new Tak I got today, it was supplied ex factory with D'addario EXP16 (12-53). These are a nice sounding string, although a tad twangy for my tastes. I asked Dave at the Rockshop to point me in the direction of more suitable strings and he supplied a set of EB Earthwood 2045 Silk and Steel Soft (11-52).

I’ve restrung now and the main thing I’m noticing is that the silk and steel strings are so much nicer to play. With the original D’adds as supplied, nice as they were, I was struggling playing an open F chord, as they were a bit hard to press down at the first fret. This had me considering using a capo for the first time in my life. The EBs just work so much better for me. Sound wise, I found the D’adds a little louder and more trebly/twangy. The EBs are a softer more mellow sound and I push my treble on my amp a bit more (Fender Acoustasonic 150). As we age, it hurts more to push down high tension strings, even though the tone is usually a bit nicer. The EBs are like buttah LOL

The EBs have obviously less tension , as evidence by the slightly lower action (which I love) and the slight bow in the neck as viewed from the headstock with the D’adds is now dead flat with the EBs.

Overall verdict? LOVE THEM! Nicer/easier to play the guitar and less twang. Winner all the way!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...