Thought you'd seen everything, Huh?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Thought you'd seen everything, Huh?

Post by Slowy »

IMG_4267.JPG
IMG_4267.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 3597 times
I've mentioned my mad inventor mate Tony in the past. He gets an idea and whips up half a dozen guitars as proof of concept. There's his latest idea: A free floating, unbraced soundboard working like a speaker cone. He built 4 of these, all from different timbers and with variations on the soundboard design. One has foam around the edge, this one is floating and moves if you push it; the other two are different again.

Sound wise, I like this most. It has a sweeter, woodier resonator character which fits with its looks. Tony reckons there's way more volume to be had from the design and the next batch should demonstrate this.

Something else; release the string tension and the bridge pulls up to give access to the string holes. This means that by slackening the strings, you can set any string height you want.
This belongs on the chilly side of my cool wall.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Thought you'd seen everything, Huh?

Post by jeremyb »

That is bonkers.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Have you seen a man eating his own head?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:28 pm Have you seen a man eating his own head?
This is Tony's least favourite looker. He reckons it reminds him of a startled monkey.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

So how is this braced then?? Does the string tension keep the center cone bit in place?

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Slowy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:25 pm
Bg wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:28 pm Have you seen a man eating his own head?
This is Tony's least favourite looker. He reckons it reminds him of a startled monkey.
Thats only because thats EXACTLY what it looks like.
I happen to like it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Lostininverness wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:53 pm So how is this braced then?? Does the string tension keep the center cone bit in place?
Haven't worked that out yet; only got it this afternoon. Inside, there's an A frame shaped structure between the neck block and the endpin. The bridge pivots off this but how it and the soundboard are connected, I don't know. The body has no vibrational effect at all. It's made of quite thick Kwila of all things. Tony says the desirable effects of Brazilian Rosewood stem muchly from its density and brittleness. Kwila is also very dense and brittle so he used it here.

The other versions use Cedar, Mahogany, Macrocarpa and Kauri and I think the reason I prefer the sound of this one is its Rosewood/ish character.

Anyway, it's interesting so I'll spend some time with it. Everything he makes is a prototype and he knocks one one off in 5 evenings so there's rough edges, but the ideas are so out there it's fascinating to play with them.

He made a redwood Baritone about 15 years ago. It's a monster and you really have to wrestle it. I love the thing and he's given up asking if I will ever return it. :lol:

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

Nice!!
Wellington

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I like it, pretty cool, Art Deco vibe....
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

That is quite a coincidence Bruce I watched this video on making a floating top guitar last night.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Another one turned up today.

Very different sound; scooped mids and sweet tops. It would be ideal for strumming with vocal. And like the other one, gives every impression of recording very well.

IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4372.JPG (310.72 KiB) Viewed 2895 times

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:56 pm Another one turned up today.

Very different sound; scooped mids and sweet tops. It would be ideal for strumming with vocal. And like the other one, gives every impression of recording very well.

IMG_4372.JPG
These are amazing, although the new one has been strung by a madman.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:13 am

IMG_4372.JPG
These are amazing, although the new one has been strung by a madman.
I'll give it a haircut today.

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

IMG_4372.JPG
That string is going to take my eye out, I just know it!
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits