Slimline acoustic-electric NGD

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Slimline acoustic-electric NGD

Post by Rog »

Sometime ago I bought a Maton EM225C cos I wanted an acoustic guitar. Really lovely tone and all, but man, I just can't play the damn thing well due to short stature, very fat belly and only having three fretting fingers (argument with a circular saw - the saw won). The guitar is just too damn big and wide. This is annoying, as I do have the occasional use for an acoustic electric. So I was thinking of selling it and getting some sort of slimline version.

Problems abound, due to the factors described above and also because a Strat is my preferred neck (wide necks are unplayable for me) and further complicated by my being on nat super of $325 a week in hand to live on. That means spending more than I can get on sale is pretty much not on. A straight swap is of course the bees knees. I never need to fingerpick etc, just play some rhythm to sing to. I actually don't much care about classic tone, so beloved of real acoustic players, as my amp does all sorts of modelling for me and being 72, I have tin ears anyway lol.

With that in mind, I would really appreciate some guidance/opinion around a suitable slimline acoustic-electric at about the $800 range. I have had an Ovation, but that back is curved the wrong way for puku comfort. Browsing the Rockshop, I did see the Washburn comfort series, but have not yet seen one in the flesh, so don't really know. I do think that a smaller bodied guitar would suit me better because a Strat is my ideal player. I thought about a Stratacoustic, but can't afford one.

So: cheap, playable (narrow neck), thin body, comfortable etc .. any suggestions of what to look for? Cheers.
Last edited by Rog on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2487 times

Re: Slimline acoustic-electric

Post by Slowy »

You might have to add a pickup but the Simon & Patrick parlour guitars ( part of the Godin line) are great for little money.

Or for a thin body, Epiphone Chet Atkins. Thin bodies are also done by ESP (no idea of price) and the utterly wonderful Godin Multiac which unfortunately is a bit spendy.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

A Chet Atkins just got listed on TM

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3011989290
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

You could try a Baby Taylor, I think the current electro-acoustic model is BT2e. They have small bodies and slim necks, and sound pretty good. At the moment they go for $900 new, and you can usually find them on Trademe a fair bit cheaper.

I have an old acoustic model. Overall I prefer electrics, but I end playing it a lot.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

hamo wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:53 pm A Chet Atkins just got listed on TM

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3011989290
Pretty cool !

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by PaulWD »

I've got a slim line gypsy jazz thing made by a bloke in Huddersfield. If that could suit I'll send you some photos.

Cheers
Paul

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Another vote for a Taylor, but the GS mini. They are really easy to play: narrower neck, slightly smaller scale length, small body. And they sound great too.

Here’s one, not sure if it has a pickup.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplac ... 3012735925

Personally, I like the all-mahogany ones best, but they are all pretty good.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3487 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:40 am Another vote for a Taylor, but the GS mini. They are really easy to play: narrower neck, slightly smaller scale length, small body. And they sound great too.

Here’s one, not sure if it has a pickup.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplac ... 3012735925

Personally, I like the all-mahogany ones best, but they are all pretty good.
There's a pre-amp in the top waist, and mention of in-built tuner. I'd say that's a yes for a pickup. Probably undersaddle though.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1107 times
Been liked: 1423 times

Post by robthemac »

Another vote for the Taylor's, GS Mini, Baby, Big Baby. On paper they are terrible value compared to Walden/Takamine etc. But every time I play one, they just feel and sound right.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

philbit
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by philbit »

I have one of these ESP LTD thinline. Sounds great through a acoustic amp,unplugged not so good.Nice thin body on these guitars.
https://youtu.be/I1i67FGor50

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Add in my vote for the gs-mini! I have the mahogany and love it. So much so every time I see a koa one come up I really want to buy that too...

Rog

Post by Rog »

Many thanks guys. I'll check those all out. Of course, gotta sell the Maton first. LOL

yoggo
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by yoggo »

There’s a Yamaha APX 600 on trade me at the moment, and the CSF1 sounded pretty nice too.

Rog

Post by Rog »

yoggo wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:10 pm There’s a Yamaha APX 600 on trade me at the moment, and the CSF1 sounded pretty nice too.
Thanks for that, yoggo. It looks interesting and the reviews are quite good. I like that it is suitable for electric players to move to easier. I think Music Works are the Yamaha agents and there is one in New Plymouth, so I'll go along and check one out. Even new, they're in my price range. Good thing about new is that it can wait until I sell other gear to fund it.

Rog

Post by Rog »

A friend in UK has suggested an Ibanez AEWC32 as the right guitar. I can't find anyone in NZ selling them. Do you know anything about this model?