Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Re: Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?

Post by Slowy »

mr_sooty wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:00 pm
Bg wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:20 am
mr_sooty wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:04 pm Guessed by no one. I rest my case. 😂
Well if this truly is a competition, your case is flawed. The thread title is "Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?" and not "Guess which one is the Tokai 335"

So "Not Proven".
If the difference between a 335 and an LP is obvious, you would be able to easily pick which one is a 335 when three sounds are an LP and one is a 335. It would be more obvious because three of the guitars would have that characteristic you associate with LPs and the one that's different would stand out more. Yes one is a different brand (a very well regarded, nitro finished, near exact replica), but that theoretically would make it more obvious rather than less. So if a bunch of guitar enthusiasts obsessed enough with guitar tone to be part of a guitar forum can't pick out a 335 from a line up where three aren't and one is, then I would think it was at least some way towards proven that it is extremely difficult to hear the difference.
All of which is true and fundamentally pointless. I blame OP error. A far more useful (but much shorter and less entertaining) thread title would have been:
Les Paul vs 335 - can you really feel a difference?

Answer,
Yes/
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

mr_sooty wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:00 pm
Bg wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:20 am
mr_sooty wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:04 pm Guessed by no one. I rest my case. 😂
Well if this truly is a competition, your case is flawed. The thread title is "Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?" and not "Guess which one is the Tokai 335"

So "Not Proven".
If the difference between a 335 and an LP is obvious, you would be able to easily pick which one is a 335 when three sounds are an LP and one is a 335. It would be more obvious because three of the guitars would have that characteristic you associate with LPs and the one that's different would stand out more. Yes one is a different brand (a very well regarded, nitro finished, near exact replica), but that theoretically would make it more obvious rather than less. So if a bunch of guitar enthusiasts obsessed enough with guitar tone to be part of a guitar forum can't pick out a 335 from a line up where three aren't and one is, then I would think it was at least some way towards proven that it is extremely difficult to hear the difference.
FFS Cam, how many times do people have to say that it's not about the static sound of the guitar plugged in before you actually listen?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

bender wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:46 pm FFS Cam, how many times do people have to say that it's not about the static sound of the guitar plugged in before you actually listen?
Calm down mate. I'm not saying there's no difference whatsoever and it's not OK to prefer one over the other - it was just in response to the idea that Rhett proposed that the 335 is the guitar to rule them all and the most versatile of all guitars - and I question that because any audible difference is extremely subtle, so I'm questioning whether that subtle difference makes it 'better' or 'more versatile'. But it's nothing to lose sleep over. Buy and play whatever guitar you like.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

mr_sooty wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:59 pm
bender wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:46 pm FFS Cam, how many times do people have to say that it's not about the static sound of the guitar plugged in before you actually listen?
Calm down mate. I'm not saying there's no difference whatsoever and it's not OK to prefer one over the other - it was just in response to the idea that Rhett proposed that the 335 is the guitar to rule them all and the most versatile of all guitars - and I question that because any audible difference is extremely subtle, so I'm questioning whether that subtle difference makes it 'better' or 'more versatile'. But it's nothing to lose sleep over. Buy and play whatever guitar you like.
OMG, I give up.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Can we get back to arguing about strats being better?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 597 times

Post by Starfire »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:12 pm Can we get back to discussing how narcoleptically boring strats are?
Fixed.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Can't we all just think of the children?
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

cant meme.jpg
cant meme.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
But seriously, this thread is pointless as.

Is it possible to make a LP and a 335 sound very similar in a sound clip... yes.
Nothing to see here.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I care so little that I've not even listened to the clips :D but I'm sure all 4 clips sound different, so it still proves nothing really. So case dismissed.

p.s. every guitar is different. every last one off any production line or out of a 'custom shop' .

p.p.s. I can usually tell the difference between a tele, strat or a humbucker equipped guitar. The strat is usually the one thats using the overused 4th position, the tele is biting into what little hearing I have left and the humbucker sounds like ROCK.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Spicy

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I feel this thread is going to haunt me for another 10 years at least. I seem to have knack for making myself into a forum meme.

No offence intended to anyone, just thought it might be an interesting discussion.

(I'm now Sootying over whether to play a 335 or LP at the Michael Fowler Centre. I'm concerned about the noise and which one will sound more like a proper Gretsch)
Last edited by mr_sooty on Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

nah not really, I don't think anyone who's still here cares that much about things like this anymore. As a reminder - 99.9% of what I post is in jest.

I can't tell the difference between a PAF and an EMG most days. Not that I've ever owned a pedantic PAF, I just mean a low output humbucker etc....

I don't lose sleep over that though, I'm just happy to still have my hearing.

Though I have an appointment with my consultant in a couple of weeks so even that may change.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Post by WellyBlues »

What I find interesting is that the clip highlights the differences between pickups. I would prefer #1 over #2 and #3. Given the basic guitars are so similar it's an interesting comparison. Others have other preferences.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Not going to listen unless EMG's are involved.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

I'm just going to repeat my earlier comment about the way they respond to gain being quite different. The 335 will feedback easier and more controllably than the LP.

Its not something you'll hear listening to the 2 guitars playing the same blues licks A to B though.

If the discussion is why have one of A & B because they are both 2 humbers in a solid bit of wood with a glued on neck and a tune-o-matic bridge, then you'd have to ask why we bother with either, SGs are more comfortable and lighter, we should just play those. Could insert something about PRS in here too, but the ones I've played don't sound like an LP.