Mr Glyn's Integrity Humbuckers (Demo)

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: Mr Glyn's Blue Sky Humbuckers (Demo)

Post by jeremyb »

Zaulkin wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:07 pm Does anyone on here have Glyn's pickups installed in their guitars?
I have the bellbirds in my strat and they are absolute perfection, a strat bridge pickup you can ACTUALLY USE!!!! and the neck and middle combined, or neck on its own???? OMG.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:31 pm
Zaulkin wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:07 pm Does anyone on here have Glyn's pickups installed in their guitars?
I have the bellbirds in my strat and they are absolute perfection, a strat bridge pickup you can ACTUALLY USE!!!! and the neck and middle combined, or neck on its own???? OMG.
Good to know! My strat has some vintagey SD pickups in it which are cool, but I'm thinking I might like the hotter Tui set more. We'll see how we go.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Zaulkin wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:22 pm
Good to know! My strat has some vintagey SD pickups in it which are cool, but I'm thinking I might like the hotter Tui set more. We'll see how we go.
The bluebirds nail the 60s tone, instant John Mayer or similar 60s inspired players, tuis for a more modern tone, they'd go extremely well with the blue sky!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

If you can't make it work, its not the pickups fault.... just saying. I know you're being your usual effervescent self, but strat bridge pups have been around since the 1950's, and no-one else is dissing them :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:40 pm
If you can't make it work, its not the pickups fault.... just saying. I know you're being your usual effervescent self, but strat bridge pups have been around since the 1950's, and no-one else is dissing them :P
I disagree, without winding the tone down they suck, to me that's a bad pickup!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:55 pm

I find this too - hard to get a great base sound that works for all the pickups in a strat due to the treble content of the bridge. Ok if you really really want it to cut through. Just picked up a Mexi player with a humbucker in the bridge - much better. Now you have got me wanting to upgrade all pickups.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

Delayman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:11 am
jeremyb wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:55 pm

I find this too - hard to get a great base sound that works for all the pickups in a strat due to the treble content of the bridge. Ok if you really really want it to cut through. Just picked up a Mexi player with a humbucker in the bridge - much better. Now you have got me wanting to upgrade all pickups.
G&L passive tone system. :thumbup:

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I've spent entire gigs sitting on a vintage sounding strat bridge pickup. Strum lighter during the verses, harder in the choruses, dig in hard during the solos. It's a pretty dynamic pickup and it always sounded pretty good to me.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

I have only had the Tui's for a day so I won't give an in-depth review yet. However, this is my reaction after a few hours of jamming on my strat:

:D

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

I'm going to split the difference.

If you set up your rig to be playing on the usual Strat positions (2, 4, 5), then going into position 1 generally sounds pretty unpleasant. Sharp, ice-pick, spiky treble, whatever you want to call it. If you set up your rig to sound good in position 1, then yeah a Strat bridge pickup can sound great, but when you change to the other positions everything goes all mushy.

Having said all of that, I love SSS Strat because 2, 4 and 5 sound so good, and 2 doesn't sound right with a humbucker in the bridge.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:12 pm I'm going to split the difference.

If you set up your rig to be playing on the usual Strat positions (2, 4, 5), then going into position 1 generally sounds pretty unpleasant. Sharp, ice-pick, spiky treble, whatever you want to call it. If you set up your rig to sound good in position 1, then yeah a Strat bridge pickup can sound great, but when you change to the other positions everything goes all mushy.

Having said all of that, I love SSS Strat because 2, 4 and 5 sound so good, and 2 doesn't sound right with a humbucker in the bridge.
With the right bridge humbucker, i.e. splitable, and the right wiring, e.g. Obsidian Wiring HSS harness, position 2 sounds great!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:22 pm
robthemac wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:12 pm I'm going to split the difference.

With the right bridge humbucker, i.e. splitable, and the right wiring, e.g. Obsidian Wiring HSS harness, position 2 sounds great!
Haven't tried the Obsidian kit. The Fender and Suhr HSS guitars that I've played have never tickled my fancy though.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Zaulkin wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:46 pm
Candeevr4 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:37 pm I have attitudes in my tele.
How do you like them?
They quite surprise me, they can go from chugging on the bridge pickup with lots of gain to really nice clean blues tones on the neck.

I find they do love gain, but as they are my only humbuckers atm, they spend most of the time on gain. I flip between that and my Hp90 loaded sg & telemaster.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I've got an HSS setup in one James Tyler, and a SSS in the other James Tyler :)

Glyn would need to tell me which pickups I actually have in them. But if you wanted to grab and borrow to do a demo that's fine by me. I do love the pickups.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:03 pm
I've got an HSS setup in one James Tyler, and a SSS in the other James Tyler :)

Glyn would need to tell me which pickups I actually have in them. But if you wanted to grab and borrow to do a demo that's fine by me. I do love the pickups.
Legend. The HSS setup would be amazing. I need more guitars so I can put more of Mr Glyn's pickups in them.