What pedals can't be recreated by modellers?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

What pedals can't be recreated by modellers?

Post by Zaulkin »

What pedal would you recommend that would go well with a Multi-fx unit, or what is something that modellers can't do yet?

I am slowly reorganising my board and it looks like I have room for one more pedal, ideally at the start of the chain. With modelling these days though, there's almost no need - there's already a gazillion drives, amp blocks, delays etc. What more could you want?

It got me thinking about what other pedals I could check out to make my board even better, or just to achieve a cool sound that is unique. I could consider a delay/reverb to free up some DSP, find a really cool drive/always on pedal, or perhaps something unique like a FreQ Out.

Some people really prefer analog pedals for certain jobs. Thoughts?

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: What pedals can't be recreated by modellers?

Post by Kris »

POG2.thers nothing even close ive found that nails it.maybe im thinking more in vst terms but no multi ive come across does as good a job either.

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

Any analog drive. It just isn't the same..

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Michael wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:04 pm Any analog drive. It just isn't the same..
What about on an AxeFX?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Michael wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:04 pm Any analog drive. It just isn't the same..
I'm the same, I reckon you need a drive pedal (or 7) with any digital rig.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Pog maybe, but drive pedals. You're having a larf.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Zaulkin wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:16 pm
What about on an AxeFX?
Apparently the new pedal algorithms in the Axe III are bang on and you cant tell the difference now. Except for the fuzzes, which are supposed to be a lot harder to clone digitally.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I like having an ID before my AX8 that gives me the same push on whatever patch I'm on so I don't need to write it in each time, but that's more for convenience and saving a footswitch space. I agree though that the multis usually can't do pitch stuff as well as the real thing.

I run a Whammy DT first a lot of the time but that sits off to the side. Maybe look at a Pitchfork or something? I actually like having my El Capistan in a fx loop too, it's nice to manipulate the pedal itself.
Loving it so far

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

The other day I was running a Boss SD1 in front of the Axe FX with an SD1 model set up. (Plexi Patch). I couldn’t hear or feel the slightest bit of difference between the pedal and the model. (Note I couldn’t, is not the same as you wouldn’t!)

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

StratMatt wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:40 am I like having an ID before my AX8 that gives me the same push on whatever patch I'm on so I don't need to write it in each time, but that's more for convenience and saving a footswitch space. I agree though that the multis usually can't do pitch stuff as well as the real thing.

I run a Whammy DT first a lot of the time but that sits off to the side. Maybe look at a Pitchfork or something? I actually like having my El Capistan in a fx loop too, it's nice to manipulate the pedal itself.
I think I'm alright with the pitch block, but I mostly use it to rip up 2 octaves and back. I do like those Digitech ricochet pedals if I had an issue.

Might try the Freq-out and if I get bored of it, change to an OD. Definitely would like to free up DSP on the FM3 - I see a few pedal geeks using the specular tempus for that. But ugh, midi! Effort! And I don't use crazy verbs that much. But I could ...

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Aah didn't realise you had an Fm3 Nik.. you dig it? Wondering if I should sell my Axe II to get one.. hmmmm

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

griff wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:19 am Aah didn't realise you had an Fm3 Nik.. you dig it? Wondering if I should sell my Axe II to get one.. hmmmm
This
Loving it so far

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

3 > 2. ;)

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

StratMatt wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:24 am
griff wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:19 am Aah didn't realise you had an Fm3 Nik.. you dig it? Wondering if I should sell my Axe II to get one.. hmmmm
This
I think if you are happy with how the AxeFX II is in terms of controlling it, then the sound difference isn't that huge between them. I love the fractal rack stuff but a floor board is way more convenient for me right now.

I think both the FM3 and AX8 sound awesome. I love the big screen on the new one and how the footswitches can do so much, but yeah, having only 3 is tight so I'm adding an external switch. I don't need to tap dance so I don't think I need midi.

I am going to be keeping the FM3 because I like that it's smaller and for the other reasons stated. Saying that I still think the AX8 is killer and still an amazing unit - it's even better in some ways and so reliable.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Thanks. Yeah Axe II sounds incredible as is and can still do dual amps.. not that I use it too often. My MFC is a big hunky dory thing, but has heaps of options for live switching.