Glue for fretboard / frets

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Glue for fretboard / frets

Post by Zaulkin »

So I have been putting off my tele project for long enough and I have plucked up the courage to try some of the more difficult bits.

What glue should I use to glue the fretboard on?
What about when I glue in the frets?

Preferably something I can get locally. I read somewhere that Titebond is good, but there are three types and I'm not sure which to get.

I have this:
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/selleys-aqua ... l_p0277319

It's probably not right.

I'm probably over thinking it but ah well.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Glue for fretboard / frets

Post by mr_sooty »

I believe fish glue is the generally preferred method for frets.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Titebond 1 (the red one) is industry standard.

Selleys aqua is also fine. I've used both with no issues years later.

As for frets. You don't need to glue them if your slots are fine, just press them in firmly with a caul (I've got a 12" radius one if you want to borrow it). Adrian used to wick a bead of super glue down the side of the neck into the slot to plug any gaps though. Just a single drop down the side of each.

A helpful thing to do with fretboards is to use locator pins so the fretboard stays in place as you clamp it. When the glue goes on it'll slip and slide all over the place. I used to use 2 nails, making sure to put them in the wood to be removed like next to the nut. Clamp the board on dry, then drill 2 holes for the nails. Then when you cover it in glue align the holes, pop the nails back in and it anchors it in place while you clamp up. No more moving around.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:54 am Titebond 1 (the red one) is industry standard.

Selleys aqua is also fine. I've used both with no issues years later.

As for frets. You don't need to glue them if your slots are fine, just press them in firmly with a caul (I've got a 12" radius one if you want to borrow it). Adrian used to wick a bead of super glue down the side of the neck into the slot to plug any gaps though. Just a single drop down the side of each.

A helpful thing to do with fretboards is to use locator pins so the fretboard stays in place as you clamp it. When the glue goes on it'll slip and slide all over the place. I used to use 2 nails, making sure to put them in the wood to be removed like next to the nut. Clamp the board on dry, then drill 2 holes for the nails. Then when you cover it in glue align the holes, pop the nails back in and it anchors it in place while you clamp up. No more moving around.
Thanks man!

I know about the locator pins so will do that. I have also heard a tiny bit of tablesalt stops the glue from sliding around. Interesting tip, although I prefer the pin idea.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

Fretboard - tite bond as suggested is good. It has a nice working time. Hot Hide glue is also good, and would make it easier to remove in the future.

I use the titebond cold hide glue in a bottle for frets. StewMac sells it. The reviews on line are usually negative but I’ve not had any issues with it ever. Dries hard and crystalline...just like hot hide glue. And it has a slower dry time than hot glue. I’ve pretty moved 100% to it. I have also made a more watery hot glue once and injected it into the slots with a syringe. I have used titebond and it’s also good...but not as easy to remove frets if it is needed.

My recommendation is, if you can, glue your frets - it improves the connection between steel and wood, and improves the rigidity of the neck by creating hard blocks of glue in all the gaps. Hope that makes sense.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

GrantB wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:41 am Fretboard - tite bond as suggested is good. It has a nice working time. Hot Hide glue is also good, and would make it easier to remove in the future.

I use the titebond cold hide glue in a bottle for frets. StewMac sells it. The reviews on line are usually negative but I’ve not had any issues with it ever. Dries hard and crystalline...just like hot hide glue. And it has a slower dry time than hot glue. I’ve pretty moved 100% to it. I have also made a more watery hot glue once and injected it into the slots with a syringe. I have used titebond and it’s also good...but not as easy to remove frets if it is needed.

My recommendation is, if you can, glue your frets - it improves the connection between steel and wood, and improves the rigidity of the neck by creating hard blocks of glue in all the gaps. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks Grant, that makes sense to me!

Any thoughts on the selleys in my link?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

It does say aliphatic, but also has the vinyl, so I would say no....won’t dry hard enough.

Here’s a local supply for titebond,
https://www.carbatec.co.nz/product/1242 ... ml-red-top
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Another vote.for carbatec, dangerous place to shop!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Thought I would jump in here for future reference... I have started using Glue Sticks (like the ones your kids take to school to stick things in their books) to glue the frets in and it works great. Holds the wire just enough to make it a little harder to pull them out
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

willow13 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:26 pm Thought I would jump in here for future reference... I have started using Glue Sticks (like the ones your kids take to school to stick things in their books) to glue the frets in and it works great. Holds the wire just enough to make it a little harder to pull them out
Interesting. Will look into that when I get there.

In the end I got titebond for the fretboard. Still haven't stuck it on yet but have been working on the body.

It's a slow process here but I'm trying hard not to stuff it up.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Zaulkin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:51 pm
willow13 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:26 pm Thought I would jump in here for future reference... I have started using Glue Sticks (like the ones your kids take to school to stick things in their books) to glue the frets in and it works great. Holds the wire just enough to make it a little harder to pull them out

In the end I got titebond for the fretboard. Still haven't stuck it on yet but have been working on the body.

Making anything perfectly is all about being able to hide your mistakes....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Bg wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:08 pm
Zaulkin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:51 pm

Making anything perfectly is all about being able to hide your mistakes....
This is true. I am just trying not to dive into things, rather I'll research what I need to do and try to do it well. I don't mind if this project takes a long time. :)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

You should see my project pile down in my workshop.... Some have been there for over 10 years. Scooters have been there for 15 years plus.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Bg wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:55 pm You should see my project pile down in my workshop.... Some have been there for over 10 years. Scooters have been there for 15 years plus.
Yep, cleaning the garage was a project of mine that took 2 years, but I got around to it. :P

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I do the yearly dusting, I'm going to have to do it every quarter now. So much fucking dust from routing and sanding. I try to do most of it outside but... I'll post a pic of my workshop suntan :)

Tiger stripes lol
Attachments
IMG_20210117_172928.jpg
IMG_20210117_172928.jpg (4.74 MiB) Viewed 2853 times