Advice re: guitars

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

What to do?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:41 am

Upgrade to Whitfill Strat
13%
Buy the Goldtop with P-90s
25%
Keep Strat, buy cheap guitar with P-90s
63%

Total votes: 16

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Advice re: guitars

Post by robthemac »

So I've got a little bit of money burning a hole in my pocket. Probably the last bit of disposable money before fatherhood re-organizes my finances. Wanting some advice about whether or not to get a new guitar from those who've certainly been in my position.

I currently have a Strat, Tele and 335-style. They're all great guitars. The Strat plays and sounds really good, but I have realised that I want a fatter neck, and the poly body bothers me. I also realise that I've never owned a guitar with P-90s.

If I sold the Strat, I'd have a couple of options. First, get Charles Whitfill to make me a Strat with a big neck. I bloody love his Tele that I own, but his quality control is reportedly a bit mixed. I would get killed on resale if I ever decided to sell.

Second option would be to sell the Strat and buy Conway's new Gibson LP Goldtop 50's with P-90s and a big neck. Probably easier to sell down the line if required, but I don't know if I'll get on with P-90s.

Final option would be to keep the Strat and try find a cheap guitar with P-90s.

So: upgrade, swap for something different, or keep what I have and buy something cheap to test if I like P-90s.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: Advice re: guitars

Post by AiRdAd »

you don't have to pay a lot of money to get a nice gibson with p90s. if you are prepared to wait you can pick an sg with p90s, junior or the one that other model (I can't remember off the top of my head) for under 1k.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Fatherhood doesn't just reorganise your finances it reorganises everything, you might just want to keep that money a bit longer and make life a little easier down the line.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

If you have to sell the Strat to get the Gibson then I'd say keep the Strat and wait for a 2nd hand Gibson with p90's.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Don't sell the Strat, p90s are awesome, don't know how anyone couldn't get on with them!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Hmmm I have a really fat Strat neck (Allparts) currently on my JM (maple/rosewood) I’d be happy to sell it or maybe swap for a thinner one, depending on how it is finished.

I’m after a bound neck ideally, if any has one lying around.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2482 times

Post by Slowy »

Wow! That's the scattergun dilemma of the month. Maybe you need to break it down a bit. Strat or Les Paul for a start. That choice is like asking whether you want meat or potatoes for dinner.

Realistically, P90s are fatter sounding single coils, but they vary greatly. Some can sound just like a Strat, some like a slightly bigger and rounder single coil and some, like the one I sold Jb, fat, huge and chewy.

Get a second hand Reverend with P90s. If you're still curious, fit some Lollars or other booteek brand of choice. That will be a cheapish way to scratch the P90 itch and it's easy to move on if you decide no.

But if you're still wondering whether to buy a P90 Lester or get a custom Strat built, I'd say you're nowhere near the decision stage.

Good luck!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:44 pm

But if you're still wondering whether to buy a P90 Lester or get a custom Strat built, I'd say you're nowhere near the decision stage.

Good luck!
Aaaand that's probably the answer.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:12 pm
Slowy wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Good luck!
Aaaand that's probably the answer.
Um.........sorry. :oops:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

There is nothing on earth that cannot be improved by adding p90s !!
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 843 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

Well it sounds like you don't like the neck or the body on your strat, so really the question is more about what you want more - the right strat or a P90 LP.

Having not owned one isn't the best reason to drop a huge wad on a P90 LP. I assume you've had a good jam on this one and it's nestled itself into the back of your brain telling you that you'd have sounded better playing that solo on a P90 goldtop - if not, spending some time playing one might make the decision easier / harder.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jimi wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:46 pm Well it sounds like you don't like the neck or the body on your strat, so really the question is more about what you want more - the right strat or a P90 LP.

Having not owned one isn't the best reason to drop a huge wad on a P90 LP. I assume you've had a good jam on this one and it's nestled itself into the back of your brain telling you that you'd have sounded better playing that solo on a P90 goldtop - if not, spending some time playing one might make the decision easier / harder.
Nope, no opportunity to play either guitar, unfortunately. Will be a blind purchase.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

Do you have any previous experience with a P90-equipped guitar, and if not would you be able to borrow one from a mate for a week? That might make the decision a bit easier than going in blind.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:38 pm Do you have any previous experience with a P90-equipped guitar, and if not would you be able to borrow one from a mate for a week? That might make the decision a bit easier than going in blind.
Played a few years ago, but never really 'got' them. At the same point in my life, I didn't 'get' Teles either, so my tastes have obviously changed. Might try and sneak off to the local Rockshop and have a bash.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:46 pm Might try and sneak off to the local Rockshop and have a bash.
This is the way forward, young Jedi.