Experience with 2020 Epiphone LP?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Experience with 2020 Epiphone LP?

Post by redgierocker »

Hey,

I'm looking at getting my first Les Paul, and the pricing/specs of the new 2020 Epiphone Les Pauls seems really good.

I'd love to be able to throw down 5k and get a Gibson Les Paul but it's a lot to spend, and given I've only been playing for about 2 years, I'm not sure I'd really appreciate the difference.

I'm keen to hear from some more experienced players what they think of the 2020 Epiphone line up? Specifically, I'm liking the look of the modern.

Thanks,
R

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Re: Experience with 2020 Epiphone LP?

Post by Bg »

The better the guitar, the easier it is to play - never discount how long you've been playing.

If you're set firm on an epiphone, have a look at second hand, then you won't lose on forecourt costs.
I Have an ES339 epiphone that I love, but I've had to fiddle with it to get it to where I want. Including fitting a bigsby.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

I had an Epi LP 60s Tribute Plus once. Nice guitar, especially for the money. Other than setting up the action I didn't need to do anything.

I recently bought a 2020 Les Paul Special. I dressed the fret ends a bit. Not totally necessary, just preference. I did have to lower the 6th string nut slot though. It was noticeably sharp on the first fret. The action was almost spot on for me. Had to adjust the bridge for intonation though. Other than that it's great!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

I always thought PRS SE guitars tended to outperform Epiphones for the money. They seem to be very affordable on the used market, too.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

sam_the_bogan
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by sam_the_bogan »

More importantly, welcome to the forum :-)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3482 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Welcome dude :)

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Welcome!
Epiphones are generally pretty good for the money, they may need some setting up but if you buy second hand that may already be done and they'll be cheaper too! Don't discount a second hand Gibson either. There's normally not much difference between a new Epi lp standard and a second hand Gibson lp studio. The studios are pretty decent rock and roll machines!
Good luck with your search!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg

Post by redgierocker »

Thanks for the advice, and the welcome !

I'm looking at around $1200 for a Epiphone modern, plus maybe $150(?) for a good setup.
There are a couple of near new Gibson equivalents on reverb for low 4k landed here, but I'd be buying those sight unseen. Maybe if I wait I'll see a lower priced example?

To be honest, part of me is looking for the justification to go for the Gibson.
The better the guitar, the easier it is to play
That's just the kind of justification I'm looking for :)

I tried a PRS SE about 9 months ago. I wasn't all that enamoured with it to be honest. But then at the time, I was really after a telecaster and I eventually picked up a MIA one from reverb.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1315 times
Been liked: 871 times

Post by MikeC »

Welcome! I too vote for a second hand Epiphone LP which often show up on TradeMe - this will save you bigger losses on a brand newy. They are generally good guitars and play well when setup properly (like all guitars to be fair). There are many on this forum that can do it and probably someone is living right near you...
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

robthemac wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:39 pm I always thought PRS SE guitars tended to outperform Epiphones for the money. They seem to be very affordable on the used market, too.
I agree completely. I've never tried an Epiphone that I thought played well. You get a much better instrument in a PRS SE. The equivalent amount spent on a LTD EC would also get you a much better guitar.

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg

Post by redgierocker »

I'm happy to but second hand, but the 2020 modern is the one I'm pretty keen on simply because of its feature set. Not sure how many of those would be floating around so soon after release.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

The post is about 2020 Epiphone though. If you're determined on that generation I don't think many have popped up secondhand. If you're not then by all means you should check out secondhand.

redgierocker
Stagg
Stagg

Post by redgierocker »

The post is about 2020 Epiphone though
Yeah, I've watched tons of videos and read lots, but I'm really after some local opinions.

While I am open to other suggestions, I already have a MiM Strat and the MiA tele I mentioned. I'm really quite keen on the Les Paul.
Last edited by redgierocker on Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

The Epi LP tribute I had was a cracking guitar. Gibson pickups and proper wiring, played superbly. Actually I had 2, a blue and black. Because.

I quite like the look of this...

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/epiphon ... dware.html

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Epiphone are great value for money. They dialed them in a long time ago and there's many pros who use Epiphone as their main touring instruments. They do the job. Phil McKnight has many good things to say about the brand, I think he picked them as number 1 in his too import brands video not too long ago, but don't quote me.

Just make sure *you* like it. All the reviews in the world can't change the neck profile not fitting your hand, or the guitar being too heavy or too light or too whatever. Go take a look, spend a bit of time with each guitar and get the one that speaks to you. You might be surprised.

Most stores will throw in a setup if you ask nicely. We always did because you want customers to be happy.

Don't forget the strap and some plectrums too.

Good luck. You'll love it.