'62 Strat Restoration

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7734 times
Been liked: 4179 times

'62 Strat Restoration

Post by jeremyb »

This is a cool story, found in an estate auction in wales in a bit of a state for a bargain... people offered him more than he paid for the whole guitar for just the pickups!!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Re: '62 Strat Restoration

Post by Mini Forklift »

Cool, just downloading that

Thanks JB, you've done it again :lol:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Tone twins channel has a multi part series on the resto too :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ3fmz ... S78-H3pZig
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

jeremyb wrote:This is a cool story, found in an estate auction in wales in a bit of a state for a bargain... people offered him more than he paid for the whole guitar for just the pickups!!

That's some mighty fine Strat playing, right there.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Watched that in the wee small hours. Christ, he scored it cheap, eh?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Molly wrote:Watched that in the wee small hours. Christ, he scored it cheap, eh?
Yup!! Could have parted it out for a small fortune too...

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

....and in the hands of one the most soulful guitarists of modern times.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

IMOCD wrote:....and in the hands of one the most soulful guitarists of modern times.
I've only just discovered him, but his playing is sublime!!

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Watched him now for a couple of years.......one of the better players with very erudite informative vids......glad he's got a great Strat.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

jeremyb wrote:
IMOCD wrote:....and in the hands of one the most soulful guitarists of modern times.
I've only just discovered him, but his playing is sublime!![/quote

Sure is. Wales is my homeland. I have a good friend who knows him and by all accounts he's a top fella too.
On a tangent, I think I'm coming around to the notion that musical expression is linked to eloquance. The better ones grasp on the spoken word, the better the ability to convey through music..... Buck is a good example, he was great on That Pedal Show.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

IMOCD wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
I've only just discovered him, but his playing is sublime!!

Sure is. Wales is my homeland. I have a good friend who knows him and by all accounts he's a top fella too.
On a tangent, I think I'm coming around to the notion that musical expression is linked to eloquance. The better ones grasp on the spoken word, the better the ability to convey through music..... Buck is a good example, he was great on That Pedal Show.
Yes I just watched the intro (will watch the whole thing later) but he has everything that is needed to absolutely nail soulful blues guitar playing. I'll have to track down more of his stuff, just from that intro alone it's clear he's something a bit special on guitar.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

IMOCD wrote:
Sure is. Wales is my homeland.
Would you by chance remember the band 'Tredegar'. Like almost every guitarist of a certain age in the UK I had my five minutes at that particular retreat.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

Molly wrote:
IMOCD wrote:
Would you by chance remember the band 'Tredegar'. Like almost every guitarist of a certain age in the UK I had my five minutes at that particular retreat.
DUMA!! Remember it like it was yesterday!
'....do you remember the beating of a drum, marching off to war into the setting sun....'
I'm sure headbanging to this at the local workingmen's club when I was a dut would explain why I'm cerebrally challenged as an adult!

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

IMOCD wrote:
Molly wrote:
IMOCD wrote:

Ok, here's a long shot. Do you remember Wild Pussy? The guitarist, who lived in the same town as me back in Wales now lives in the same town here in NZ. Only found out a few months ago when he came to lay some concrete on our driveway. How's that for a small world?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

IMOCD wrote:
Molly wrote:
IMOCD wrote:
DUMA!! Remember it like it was yesterday!
'....do you remember the beating of a drum, marching off to war into the setting sun....'
I'm sure headbanging to this at the local workingmen's club when I was a dut would explain why I'm cerebrally challenged as an adult!
The guy behind the band remortgaged his nice country conversion to the tune of about thirty grand to self-fund an album. It had the worst fucking artwork you've ever seen but it was still better than the music. I dragged my arse all the way from Liverpool to see about playing for them and just thought: "Fuck. I don't want to be part of this." House was full of unsold albums.

Don't recall Wild Pussy but I did help a girl move house from Chester to Llandudno just to get some action. Bony Fanny (the girl - that's not another band name).