HNGD !!! P90 Guitar Search *completed*

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: HNGD !!! P90 Guitar Search *completed*

Post by Bg »

Yamaha quality has always been great :)

The shapes not so much :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3466 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

It's purdy... I like the tailpiece. Does it have a carved top? Interested to hear what the controls do too.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Top isn't carved. Vol + Tone, pull the Tone and it cuts the low end to make it more like a single coil sound.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Top isn't carved. Vol + Tone, pull the Tone and it cuts the low end to make it more like a single coil sound.
Sweet... plus a 3 way pickup selector switch?
Is the bass cut adjustable by the pot or just a set value?

I'm really interested as I've rewired my PRS a few times. With the same number of controls, currently I have a volume pot per pickup, with decent treble compensation as they roll-off. My favourite settings are often with the vol at 80%, it cleans them up by pulling a little bass out... I'd never considered a dedicated bass cut. The two vols have other advantages with the 3 way switch of course, but sometimes having a master vol would be handy. Stock, it was vol/tone. I never used the tone knob, and initially I disconnected it, and the whole guitar brightened up. Your Yamaha has a cool configuration.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Cdog wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:Top isn't carved. Vol + Tone, pull the Tone and it cuts the low end to make it more like a single coil sound.

I'm really interested as I've rewired my PRS a few times. With the same number of controls, currently I have a volume pot per pickup, with decent treble compensation as they roll-off. My favourite settings are often with the vol at 80%, it cleans them up by pulling a little bass out... I'd never considered a dedicated bass cut. The two vols have other advantages with the 3 way switch of course, but sometimes having a master vol would be handy. Stock, it was vol/tone. I never used the tone knob, and initially I disconnected it, and the whole guitar brightened up. Your Yamaha has a cool configuration.

Read this article and you'll know all about it. Then put it in your guitar and let us know the result.
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... dry-switch
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Jay wrote:
Cdog wrote:

Read this article and you'll know all about it. Then put it in your guitar and let us know the result.
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... dry-switch
Thanks for the link Jay :)

Well, you know what I had the switching pot kicking around already... so I went ahead and rewired things 'revstar style'.
Fiddled with a couple of other things too... decided to keep the master volume with the treble compensation, and I cut the tone pot's track to make it true-bypassed when tone is on 10... All in all, it's a really neat configuration, and makes the guitar tone more sculpt-able. I might do a vid to show it off.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Chris Buck has his one wired for two volume controls to blend the pickups, I'm getting tempted by one of these hard.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.