New Guitar Expectations...

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Re: New Guitar Expectations...

Post by Terexgeek »

Am I the only one who notes that most of you have bought online a cheap instrument sight unseen anddealt with the random strings/set-up. Yet you expect a retailer competing with said online cheap instruments to employ staff to service your tyre kicking, set-up your instrument, supply and replace strings? While paying for a retail rent, retail staff, displaying stock that will get scratched by a tyre kicker oh yeah AND matching the price of the supplier sending stuff online from out of a warehouse.

Starter for ten "Why music retailers are disappearing?"...
Tin arse!!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Terexgeek wrote:Am I the only one who notes that most of you have bought online a cheap instrument sight unseen anddealt with the random strings/set-up. Yet you expect a retailer competing with said online cheap instruments to employ staff to service your tyre kicking, set-up your instrument, supply and replace strings? While paying for a retail rent, retail staff, displaying stock that will get scratched by a tyre kicker oh yeah AND matching the price of the supplier sending stuff online from out of a warehouse.

That's a good point :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Terexgeek wrote:Am I the only one who notes that most of you have bought online a cheap instrument sight unseen anddealt with the random strings/set-up. Yet you expect a retailer competing with said online cheap instruments to employ staff to service your tyre kicking, set-up your instrument, supply and replace strings? While paying for a retail rent, retail staff, displaying stock that will get scratched by a tyre kicker oh yeah AND matching the price of the supplier sending stuff online from out of a warehouse.

Yeah well they deserve to if they can't keep their guitars in tune!!! :mental:

Seriously though, for retail to survive it needs to sell you an experience more than an item, give you a reason to keep coming back :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Buying second hand online, yes I expect to have to setup/restring. Brand new instruments - no, I expect new strings and will ask if they aren't provided. The same way I expect petrol in a new car.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Bg wrote:

Buying second hand online, yes I expect to have to setup/restring. Brand new instruments - no, I expect new strings and will ask if they aren't provided. The same way I expect petrol in a new car.
On a three year old scratch and dent special massively discounted?
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Terexgeek wrote:
Bg wrote:

On a three year old scratch and dent special massively discounted?
I wouldn't be buying anything 2nd hand from a music retail shop though.

Also I would expect to be able to take the car for a test drive without the steering pulling to the left and a wheel falling off ;) as I would expect the guitar to have a reasonable setup and no rusty strings so I could test it out.

In these days of coated strings, I imagine that happens a lot less - but old dead strings is hardly going to sell me on the toanz.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Have yet to see a new, shop bought guitar to be considered "set up", those Ive purchased new have had minor scratches, rusty strings and from factory uneven frets, forget about the rest, never. I feel there needs to be a factor of set up cost over and above the price to purchase an instrument be it new or second hand. Timber moves, strings go off ect - at least have truss rod adjusted, action, intonation, pickup heights and if you can afford a fret level, go for it, It will make a hell of a difference. OH and unless the "shop guy" is experienced, take it to a luthier.