String gauge - does size matter?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7647 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Re: String gauge - does size matter?

Post by jeremyb »

AiRdAd wrote:
SimonHirst wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:I'm glad that there was no nerve damage etc... how did you do it?
Yeah, thanks Danny! That was bit of a nervy conversation.
Just fell very awkwardly while skating at the park just by our house!
I feel your pain. Jordy fell off her one at the beginning of the year. She was in a cast for 10 days and then turned out not to be broken - so very lucky. I've stayed off my skateboards over the lockdown period - because knowing me I'll fall off and do the same :-)
DOH! I've been riding my $60 longboard round the streets at nights with the kids on their scooters, bloody great fun, bought it on a whim from 1-day and its actually really decent for a noob like me, absolutely flies!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Saw this on Facebook :lol:
Attachments
94443011_10163191806330062_1075984552842756096_n.jpg
94443011_10163191806330062_1075984552842756096_n.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

jeremyb wrote:Saw this on Facebook :lol:
Didn’t realise Dan Patlansky was 32

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

jeremyb wrote:Saw this on Facebook :lol:
hahaha!!! I just logged in to post that too!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1395 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I have been using 10-46 Elixir Nanoweb and Optiweb strings for some time now. I have them on my 24.75" Yamaha and 24.5" PRS. I noticed the other day my Tele 25.5" seems easier to play/bend than the shorter length guitars which doesn't seem right. Then I remembered I put on a set of Boomer 10-46's when I set it up because we were in lock-down and I hadn't had chance to get the Elixirs. After some back and forth between the guitars I am convinced the Elixirs feel heavier.

When I tried a set of 9-42's a while back I found them too sloppy, but they were Ernie Ball Slinkies so now I'm thinking that maybe Elixir '9s would sit somewhere in between.

I orders some more Boomers (10's) as they were cheap and they arrived yesterday. I will try them out on the Yamaha shortly. If they last well then I may just use them because Elixirs are expensive.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I've got an order from stringjoy.com on the way, custom set with a wound 3rd, 10-48, looking forward to trying them out :)

Mattress5
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Mattress5 »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:11 pm I've got an order from stringjoy.com on the way, custom set with a wound 3rd, 10-48, looking forward to trying them out :)
I got a couple of their 10-50 Husky sets. I found them to be very bright. They grew on me though and I really like them now. Would love to know what you think of yours when they arrive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mattress5 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:57 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:11 pm I've got an order from stringjoy.com on the way, custom set with a wound 3rd, 10-48, looking forward to trying them out :)
I got a couple of their 10-50 Husky sets. I found them to be very bright. They grew on me though and I really like them now. Would love to know what you think of yours when they arrive.
Interesting, I found that with GHS Boomers, really trebly, I usually use elixirs and I like that they don't start out bright and then soften up, they have the same tone thru their life...

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Dharmajester »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:09 pm
Interesting, I found that with GHS Boomers, really trebly, I usually use elixirs and I like that they don't start out bright and then soften up, they have the same tone thru their life...
I'll have to give them a go. I've been buying standard EB 10-46's for years and throwing away the bottom two and replacing them with 40 and 50 bought in packs of singles. Just for Fenders. Although EB do a selection of more varied gauges now which fill in quite nicely.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 517 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:38 pm I have been using 10-46 Elixir Nanoweb and Optiweb strings for some time now. I have them on my 24.75" Yamaha and 24.5" PRS. I noticed the other day my Tele 25.5" seems easier to play/bend than the shorter length guitars which doesn't seem right. Then I remembered I put on a set of Boomer 10-46's when I set it up because we were in lock-down and I hadn't had chance to get the Elixirs. After some back and forth between the guitars I am convinced the Elixirs feel heavier.

When I tried a set of 9-42's a while back I found them too sloppy, but they were Ernie Ball Slinkies so now I'm thinking that maybe Elixir '9s would sit somewhere in between.

I orders some more Boomers (10's) as they were cheap and they arrived yesterday. I will try them out on the Yamaha shortly. If they last well then I may just use them because Elixirs are expensive.
I think Elixirs, epecially the Nanoweb's, feel pretty different. Not something I had noticed until I restrung my tele with a set of D'adarrio's I had sitting around and noticed the high strings felt sharp on my fingers. I don't think it's the gauge. In comparison the Elixirs I have on the JM are much smoother to run your finger along. Whatever nanoweb means I reckon the end result is it feels like a very light smooth sleeve around your high strings. I like it but I could understand if somebody came from a different set of strings and hated it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:41 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:09 pm

I'll have to give them a go. I've been buying standard EB 10-46's for years and throwing away the bottom two and replacing them with 40 and 50 bought in packs of singles. Just for Fenders. Although EB do a selection of more varied gauges now which fill in quite nicely.
www.stringjoy.com you can order custom sets for no extra cost!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Is anyone running a hybrid set, like 9-46? I quite like the thicker low end from the usual 10-46s, but could do with a bit of an easier time now I'm trying to do more bending... lack of practice yeah... but...

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:48 pm Is anyone running a hybrid set, like 9-46? I quite like the thicker low end from the usual 10-46s, but could do with a bit of an easier time now I'm trying to do more bending... lack of practice yeah... but...
i've got 10-52 on some guitars - sounds good acoustically - but the bass strings can get a bit boomy amplified
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

AiRdAd wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:08 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:48 pm Is anyone running a hybrid set, like 9-46? I quite like the thicker low end from the usual 10-46s, but could do with a bit of an easier time now I'm trying to do more bending... lack of practice yeah... but...
i've got 10-52 on some guitars - sounds good acoustically - but can get a bit boomy amplified
That was my go to gauge for drop C#, I dig the way the thicker strings respond :thumbup:

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I run 9-46 EBs on my Tele and SuperStrat. Used to on my Gibsons too. Dunno why I switched up to 10-46 on that scale really (believed something on the internet I suppose). I thought maybe it would bring them in line with the longer scale gats with the slightly lower gauge. I would go back to 9-46 on everything if I could be arsed re-intonating.