NGD - The Avonator! Now for sale

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: NGD - The Avonator! includes recording now

Post by MattH »

Delayman wrote:
MattH wrote:Sounds lovely! Nice emoting!

:)
Yes I worried about that, I wasn’t really planning on publishing. But that’s just what I did when I played it. I used to try and be cool, but that’s a fool’s errand in my case.
Doesn’t bother me. Do whatever you have to to get the music out!

Very much my cuppa tea, that sound. Impressed!
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Delayman wrote:
k1w1 wrote:That sounds pretty good, a little banjoish on the bass. These aren't hard to set up, get the saddle right, true the spider legs and get the tension screw right and that should sort the sound (and the nut slots).

Stewmac has a pretty good set up blog

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_R ... Setup.html
Thanks for that. It definitely needs some work but it really nice to play and write in so I think it’s worth it.

I’m no luthier so I’ll have a look at the stew Mac site and see if I’m more likely to do harm than good...

I kind of like the banjo quality.
Dobros have the "sweetest" sound of reso guitars. The set up isn't too hard, requires some sandpaper, maybe files and that is pretty much it. Where are you based? If around Wellington I could help.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

k1w1 wrote:
Delayman wrote:
k1w1 wrote:That sounds pretty good, a little banjoish on the bass. These aren't hard to set up, get the saddle right, true the spider legs and get the tension screw right and that should sort the sound (and the nut slots).

Stewmac has a pretty good set up blog

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_R ... Setup.html
Thanks for that. It definitely needs some work but it really nice to play and write in so I think it’s worth it.

I’m no luthier so I’ll have a look at the stew Mac site and see if I’m more likely to do harm than good...

I kind of like the banjo quality.
Dobros have the "sweetest" sound of reso guitars. The set up isn't too hard, requires some sandpaper, maybe files and that is pretty much it. Where are you based? If around Wellington I could help.
That is a great offer, but i'm in Tauranga - home of no luthiers. I'll have a look at the guide and see what I can do. I did have a bit of a look at the spider to see if it sat level, but not super precisely. Be a good learning experience.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

Delayman wrote: That is a great offer, but i'm in Tauranga - home of no luthiers. I'll have a look at the guide and see what I can do. I did have a bit of a look at the spider to see if it sat level, but not super precisely. Be a good learning experience.
Doesn't Waylon live just down the road in Papamoa?
Wellington

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

vintage52 wrote:
Delayman wrote: That is a great offer, but i'm in Tauranga - home of no luthiers. I'll have a look at the guide and see what I can do. I did have a bit of a look at the spider to see if it sat level, but not super precisely. Be a good learning experience.
Doesn't Waylon live just down the road in Papamoa?
Yes you’re right and I’ve used him quite a bit. I think of him as an electronics guy, but I know he does do setups. Thanks for the reminder. Will check with him.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

No worries, any questions just PM me, be a little careful on folks that haven't dealt with resonators, the problem being the break angle over the saddle and set up is different from normal acoustics.

The tension screw on these spider bridges is also a little sensitive.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

This is a project I never got around to. Anybody want to take it off my hands? Currently high action more suited to slide, and needs someone to mess around finding a few rattles and if you’re not using for slide you’ll want to tidy up frets ends etc.

Keen to move it as it’s just been sitting in a box in my garage.
$250 shipped?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Ha, I listened to that again and I hear Tennessee Whiskey in some parts... (Chris Stapelton version)
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

Jay wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:40 pm Ha, I listened to that again and I hear Tennessee Whiskey in some parts... (Chris Stapelton version)
Bummer, I can hear that too :-)

I don’t think I’d heard that song then, but in my defence he’s not the first to run up the scale for a riff 😅

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: NGD - The Avonator! Now for sale

Post by Delayman »

And…sold.