NGD • 2018 Gibson LP Standard Historic Collection

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2487 times

Re: NGD • 2018 Gibson LP Standard Historic Collection

Post by Slowy »

Dharmajester wrote:
Grant had the guitar in question off me prior to passing it on to Phil and I believe reinstated the brass bridge studs.
Don't do it to the R7, was also mine at one point and there's nothing to be improved upon there.
So you're where Dewey came from huh?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

Yep, I purchased a bulk lot of brass machine screws in correct thread had them nickel plated. Still got them in deeper than standard. Not a huge amount in it.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2487 times

Post by Slowy »

Slowy wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:
Grant had the guitar in question off me prior to passing it on to Phil and I believe reinstated the brass bridge studs.
Don't do it to the R7, was also mine at one point and there's nothing to be improved upon there.
So you're where Dewey came from huh?
I googled Dewey Burst and found the Les Paul Forum thread with its history. You two have of course seen it?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

It’s in the lap of Chur for a few days, keen to hear what he thinks of it

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Dharmajester wrote:

That was my thinking, but I'm a bit of a tinkerer so it's hard to not change anything :rofl:

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 381 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Slowy wrote: So you're where Dewey came from huh?
I acquired it as part of a deal for my original 55 all gold and 54 burst conversion, done with a kiwi living in Noosa.
He had bought it from Mark's Guitar Loft. Gut wrenching to think what those guitars would fetch now :crazy:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Just got it back after Chur having it since Monday, he seemed to like it. Told me he never really found/noticed any dead spots, however I think he found playing it quite hard work with my choice of strings & higher action. Sorry about that mate

Anyhow, great to have it back in the nest. Surprised I missed it as much as I did - that’s a positive sign that I might actually hold onto this one ?!

Mattress5
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Mattress5 »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:I think he found playing it quite hard work with my choice of strings & higher action
How do you like your LP’s setup? What strings do you have on it?

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Mattress5 wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:I think he found playing it quite hard work with my choice of strings & higher action
Nothing too outrageous TBH. I like .011's on my Strats but for LP's I just go with .010-.046 and I prefer to top wrap. Chur seemed to think the action was on the higher side but I would have said it was more medium

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Mattress5 wrote:
Nothing too outrageous TBH. I like .011's on my Strats but for LP's I just go with .010-.046 and I prefer to top wrap. Chur seemed to think the action was on the higher side but I would have said it was more medium
Yer most of mine currently have Hybrids on em, 9 -> 46. I also have my action fairly low (too low I think), so trying to compare the R8 to my Standard was a little tricky especially as the R8 has a bigger neck and I could fit my tuner pedal under the strings :lol: :lol: . Definitely sounded different acoustically and when plugged in, no great preference on either though tbh. I think the R8 had a slightly lighter body and heavier neck, so balanced a little better on the knee. Other observations were it seemed like the R8 had log pots for the volumes, as there was quite a leap in volume between 8 and 10 on dial vs mine.

MF's gat certainly had the feel of a more refined instrument but that could be down to the type of finish, and the fact its a lot newer. I dug it, and couldn't detect anything abnormal with it re dying out. Having a guitar worth that much money around the place made me nervous though... cool to try it though, much appreciated! :thumbup:

Guitar.jpg
Guitar.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 3959 times
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Anytime mate, glad you liked it. Nice pic too, I love that wine red on your Standard. Did it come with Grovers or did you swap them out?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Anytime mate, glad you liked it. Nice pic too, I love that wine red on your Standard. Did it come with Grovers or did you swap them out?
If you want to send it to aucks (nzparcel post, or fastway) I could play with for a week or two and give you my verdict ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Anytime mate, glad you liked it. Nice pic too, I love that wine red on your Standard. Did it come with Grovers or did you swap them out?
I think they are the originals for it. Can't see any evidence they were swapped out.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

chur wrote:
I think they are the originals for it. Can't see any evidence they were swapped out.
I put grovers on my trad and they worked with the existing tuner screw holes so you'd never know.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by chur »

kdawg2a wrote:
chur wrote:
I put grovers on my trad and they worked with the existing tuner screw holes so you'd never know.
Yer I guess I never really paid too much close attention either. I did read somewhere early 2000 standards had them stock which this is, so anythings possible. They work well thou.