All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Colour

Capri O
47%
Oly White
35%
Black
2%
Trans white
16%
BY kdawg2a
I voted for oly white but that (let's be honest, it's pretty much fiesta red) capri orange looks really good.
BY Bg
WellyBlues wrote:If Korina is so bad how come Reverend only use Korina? Genuinely interested, not stirring. And of course Gibson and others use it occasionally. I would have thought by the comments that it would be too difficult to use for a mass production line situation.

I would assume mass production and machining practices makes it easier to work with. And if you're willing to spray a bucket load of grain filler onto it then it works.... but there goes any tone wood argument, its all grain filled ;)
BY GrantB
WellyBlues wrote:If Korina is so bad how come Reverend only use Korina? Genuinely interested, not stirring. And of course Gibson and others use it occasionally. I would have thought by the comments that it would be too difficult to use for a mass production line situation.

I know it has a reputation for being difficult even for Gibson but to be fair, I’ve not had many issues. Splintering is a real risk if you have blunt tools. I just paid very close attention to what I was doing and the hard work was all done.

I guess too, those companies aren’t making their guitars in a garage mainly reserved for motorcycles and kids projects...meaning they’re set up for such things.
BY GrantB
kdawg2a wrote:I voted for oly white but that (let's be honest, it's pretty much fiesta red) capri orange looks really good.

Lol...the tinted clear is yet to happen.
BY kdawg2a
GrantB wrote:https://instagram.com/p/B8DfuVrHY3k/

Better pic

I'm standing by my passive/aggresive comment.
BY GrantB
kdawg2a wrote:I voted for oly white but that (let's be honest, it's pretty much fiesta red) capri orange looks really good.

Oh yeah, not Capri orange...mixed with white and a tint for Coral.

Question - any experience with shellac as a sealer? Found the grain fill had issues with it.
BY Bg
I've always used shellac, what grain filler did you use?
BY GrantB
Bg wrote:I've always used shellac, what grain filler did you use?

StewMac water based. Kinda didn’t stay in the pores. Like the shellac was silicone....had to sand it back a bit to get grip.
BY Bg
I generraly just use wood filler mixed with water, odd
BY kdawg2a
GrantB wrote:

Oh yeah, not Capri orange...mixed with white and a tint for Coral.

Question - any experience with shellac as a sealer? Found the grain fill had issues with it.

For filling grain on mahogany I found a small mix of linseed oil and thinners (3/4 to 1/4) put onto the sandpaper (1000 grit or less) rubs the wood into a paste and then fills the grain. The bonus of this vs a bought grain filler is the colour will perfectly match. Not much of an issue if the paints going to be a solid colour but it does produce a glassy finish. Korina is a different beast, I haven't worked with it but i'd imagine it might work in a similar way. Being so fragile would mean you'd have to be pretty careful not to sand too deep!
BY GrantB
I've lied to my family ..."its for someone else..."
BY bender
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Never thought I'd feel this way about a strat. So turned on...
How am I going to tell my family I'm strat curious ?

Busted.

(But I’m with you on this one)
BY Bg
Meh, strats are cool again...