All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Bg
MattH wrote:
Bg wrote:I made a good tele bigsby bridge with a wilkinson and a file.... everything else is just too costly ;)

Good work! Would love to see a picture.

I'll grab a pic in daylight... its poor mans mastery haha
BY k1w1
Weren't these a solution to the Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge problems? I don't see how a Tele with Bigbsy was their target solution given the short break angle of the Tele?
BY MattH
k1w1 wrote:Weren't these a solution to the Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge problems? I don't see how a Tele with Bigbsy was their target solution given the short break angle of the Tele?

Good question. It’s true that these were initially designed for that problem.

The issue with Telecasters (with Factory Bigsbys, at least) is that Fender used a bridge with cheap saddles and a lip at the back. This lip catches on the string with the tighter string angle, causing breakages and tuning issues. I had to change it out for something, and I’d heard from a lot of gearhead players about these things from Mastery.

I went with the Mastery for a number of reasons - not least of which is the fact that I was interested in the tonal improvements as well as tuning stability. And the difference is noticeable. That said, the Callaham bridge that Mike put in looks as though it does as fine a job, if I’m honest. You live and learn!
BY Bg
yeah, or if you're tight like me then you take a dremmel to the lip :D
BY MattH
Bg wrote:yeah, or if you're tight like me then you take a dremmel to the lip :D

I know. I'm not great at stuff like that. I'd be terrified of fucking it up! I actually really admire people that have the nuts to do irreversible stuff to their guitars.
BY Bg
Mike Clayton wrote:You could buy a bridge like this ($39.95 on TradeMe) and modify it like my Callaham. Not too much to lose if you 'ef it up! Actually, I'm tempted :mrgreen:
Wilkinson Short Tele Bridge.jpg

HERE'S THE LINK https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/instruments/guitar-bass/electric-guitars/listing-2488086302.htm?rsqid=5e902f58554d4ab0804808e797af0685-001

Yep exactly what I did, though mine was the full bridge pickup style. Then I hit it with a dremmel. Its not the tidiest of jobs but for the price....