NGD: Strat

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Re: NGD: Strat

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:we want it cracking and rubbing off where we play it
IB:JB... oh bugger.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Owned plenty of each finish, and I prefer nitro by a largw margin. I just live how it ages, wears, checks etc.it has a silkier/softer feel. Not 'plastic' or 'tingy/tacky'. Nothing wrong with a poly finish mind.
I completely agree. I wasn't going to turn down an otherwise perfect guitar for me, though!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Owned plenty of each finish, and I prefer nitro by a largw margin. I just live how it ages, wears, checks etc.it has a silkier/softer feel. Not 'plastic' or 'tingy/tacky'. Nothing wrong with a poly finish mind.
I completely agree. I wasn't going to turn down an otherwise perfect guitar for me, though!
I haven't bought a guitar for a long time, but when I was selecting surf guitars it was a real deal breaker if it had poly. I think just cos I wanted the guitar to look used/worn in quickly. But also there is a feel under the arm I think. Anyhow the red strat is pretty cool no go learn bombora by the Atlantic's making sure to watch the old and new you tube footage. Definitely a red 60s strat thru a cranked ac30 . Thank me later !

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

robthemac wrote:
Voxshall wrote:Glad you’re enjoying it Rob, that Tele of yours is amazing as well, it actually fits in with my current band better than any other guitar I own and it’s by far the least expensive. Hope you don’t mind I ended up getting rid of the sunburst so it’s now Dakota red, I think it looks really cool.
I was never attached to the finish, don't worry! Glad to hear your enjoying it. Did you switch out any other parts?
I installed a fender 3 way switch from the 50's flipped the controls tried a tophat switch but might go back to a barrel and I was going to put in two stackpole pots from 1963, but I loved the sound of the guitar so much I ended up leaving it alone, after the 3 way. I'm not usually into treble bleeds but that guitar sounds so good I don't want to mess with it to much. I also tightened the truss rod which lowered the action to be perfect for me, which was a fluke. As you know the saddles were really high and the saddle screws were running out of room so I tried dropping that down and taking the neck shim out but the the guitar lost it's amazing slinky feeling on bends so I put that back. I also found the dowel holes after a bit of buffing I was getting worried there for a second because they were really hard to find, but now I feel confident it's a 1968 Tele body that was originally olympic white. Still have no idea what the pickups are, my best guess is that they are Sliders pickups from Australia.

Last edited by Voxshall on Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

sunburster wrote:You can order a poly finish from the CS, but most people do not do that, so they are rare. Always make sure to check the body cavities for proper CS stamps, to make sure the body is authentic. Whenever someone says "poly finish CS body" to me, I get suspicious because it's easy to swap in a MIM body or something like that.

You can also email the serial number to Fender customer service, and they will confirm if the body was ordered as nitro or poly.

I love the neck on this one! Absolutely gorgeous.
Poly isn't technically an accurate name for a finish, as there are many different types of poly finishes, and this particular strat isn't finished with any of them it's actually a Catalyzed Urethane finish, this was factory specified. John Suhr and a few other builders said it was cheaper for them to spray nitrocellulose, so it is strange customshop went with this option.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

That Strat is lovely, congrats Rob. What a neck!

And phwoar to that Tele too, I’d love one that looked just like that. Perfect

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Voxshall wrote:

Looking fantastic! Did you do a full re-finish then?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

robthemac wrote:
Voxshall wrote:
Looking fantastic! Did you do a full re-finish then?
Nah, I just sanded off the wine burst, the Dakota red was underneath it, looks a bit more brick red in real life, I didn't relic it either, the places on the guitar that are missing paint down to the wood, were like that under the burst. It could do with more buffing but it has black paint under the Dakota red and under that is a bit of red stain on the wood then a yellow stain and it's a bit scary burning through to the black paint as the Dakota red is really thin. I was going to keep working on it to get the black out of the bits were the black is showing but I moved on to other projects so it's on the back burner for now.

The wear marks on the back of the Tele are really weird, quite a lot different to the typical wear places you see on most guitars.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Country player.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Voxshall wrote:.

The wear marks on the back of the Tele are really weird, quite a lot different to the typical wear places you see on most guitars.

I suspected that was a home-relicing job by someone profoundly unqualified.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

kdawg2a wrote:Country player.
Country player wearing a belt of bullets, two holsters, and a few grenades as he is playing maybe ha ha.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Hnnnnng that cracking on the Lake Placid Blue Strat....