Your most versatile guitar?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: Your most versatile guitar?

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: The strat fails on tele sounds, but hey I could just kick in an eq with all the top freq maxed......
I'm thinking of naming my new Tele, 'Tyson'. Cranked through a '60s AC30, it knocks you flat on your ass.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:
Bg wrote: The strat fails on tele sounds, but hey I could just kick in an eq with all the top freq maxed......
I'm thinking of naming my new Tele, 'Tyson'. Cranked through a '60s AC30, it knocks you flat on your ass.
Yeah but you don't have an AC30 unless you haven't told us something.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
I haven't told you something. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:
Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote: I'm thinking of naming my new Tele, 'Tyson'. Cranked through a '60s AC30, it knocks you flat on your ass.
you bought another Wang?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Bg wrote:
you bought another Wang?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Tempting. I really do like their sound.

There has been a grey panel 1966 (as far as we can tell) AC30 hanging around my world for years. Grant has met it. It belongs to Marcus and like much of our gear, it does the rounds. I have, in the past played gigs with this and the JTM45 together dimed. I have no idea now how I did that or how anybody survived but happen, it did.

On one memorable New Year's Eve, I recall a Hummer and two Range Rovers blocking the road so noise control couldn't reach us.
"Play on!", the locals ordered.
Good times.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Might horrify some, but I find my Rick 360 to be extremely versatile.

Crank the amp up to an AC/DC solo level of overdrive, and you can then go from that to a warm smooth jazz, woman tone, nasty bright funk and a rhythm clean all with a small tweak of the knobs.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

rickenbackerkid wrote:Might horrify some, but I find my Rick 360 to be extremely versatile.

Crank the amp up to an AC/DC solo level of overdrive, and you can then go from that to a warm smooth jazz, woman tone, nasty bright funk and a rhythm clean all with a small tweak of the knobs.
It takes a special and rare man to get the best out of a Ricky.
What I cannot understand is why neither Rickenbacker nor anybody else has bothered to build properly playable ones. Such awesome guitars!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I would personally consider them very very easy to play guitars, but clearly pointed at the rhythm/ chordy type stuff, rather than bendy stuff up the pointy end.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote:
rickenbackerkid wrote:Might horrify some, but I find my Rick 360 to be extremely versatile.

It takes a special and rare man to get the best out of a Ricky.
What I cannot understand is why neither Rickenbacker nor anybody else has bothered to build properly playable ones. Such awesome guitars!
I have just spent way too much time making my Ricky playable. Refret (factory ones are shit) which means new board finish, moved the bridge as it was out from the factory, built a new bridge (takes an ABR1 now). Shouldn't be this hard, but Rickenbacker arrogantly will not improve on their work.

But, man does it sound good. You need to flat boost it. Bring it to LEs Paul type output and it is something else. If we ever have another gear fest it's coming.

Les Paul remains my most versatile guitar, but I think a Jazzmaster is a close second. The latter is like a fat Strat in a Tele pickup arrangement. Plus it has a trem...if you want.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

I have always loved my old Airline 8448 hollowbody and thought that would do me. Then I bought the Squier Jazzmaster.

It has taken me awhile to sort out how to use the tone and volume knobs but I now think it is the most versatile guitar I have owned.

Even the maligned rhythm circuit is great dialed in for blues shuffles. And this is before I even start modding :D

MichaelGP
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by MichaelGP »

+1 for a tele, and I’m a strat player. Bought my son a Classic Vibe Tele and wow, was i surprised. The tone pot did so much more than my strat‘s tone. I was really impressed, and this from a $400 (CDN) guitar.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

Telecaster. Just great workhorses.

I've always wanted a good Strat, but have never found one I bonded with.
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MattH wrote:Telecaster. Just great workhorses.

Try an American G&L Legacy.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

Slowy wrote:
MattH wrote:Telecaster. Just great workhorses.

Try an American G&L Legacy.
Well, I love the ASATs, so maybe that’s a go!
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

danmunners
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by danmunners »

ES339 with coil splits. Can get a Les Paul sound, a single coil sound and a pretty decent strat-like quack. Just needs a bigsby for some twiddlestick action. Though at the rate I've been breaking strings this summer, I don't know if I'm ever going to gig with just one guitar.